1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.... New Nissan Titan w/CUMMINS DIESEL

Discussion in 'General' started by ttt637, Aug 20, 2013.

1. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I'm with you except for the Hybrid/Electric crap. Totally unnecessary and just an added complication and cost.

2. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

well, electric would be a cool thing to have for towing purposes, imagine all of that instant torque!

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

See, I don't want to spend a ton of money for a weekend toy anymore. I'm sure I could find the cash for the lotus, the porsche or the new jag F type but I just don't want to. I like the option of being able to stumble across something (a taco, a ktm supermoto, a BRM) and being able to buy it. I get a 911 turbo that's over and done. Sam wants a new (to us house) as well.

Plus I've become so damn cheap anymore that I squeek. I'm actually quite proud of it. :D

4. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

You need to go drive a gt3. or atleast the lotus...you are saying all of this without driving. :D

after that I will gladly welcome you into the "A luxury once tasted, becomes a necessity" club. ;)

I am a member, founding father, and current dean of admissions!

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I drive an A3 or my big stupid blue milf wagon as the daily car. The A3 is cheap fun for me, way more smiles than the price deserves.

The blue milf wagon is a different type of fun but still fun. It's like a fat chick that can do ballet that doesn't take shit from anyone. A cockhead in a BMW tries to push it where I'm at? I'll f@ckin' ram them 'cause the milf wagon weighs around 2.5 tons and I have wicked awesome insurance. A flatbiller in an Rsticker-type honda wants to race off the line? The milf wagon usually stomps them. No surrender, no retreat! :crackup:

6. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Napoleon really needs an econobox or he'll get even greater delusions.

7. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

True but that's just even more costs and maintenence concerns that don't need to be added. We'll see what real world numbers the Ram gets. It should be close to what the Grand Cherokee gets since they're fairly close in weight. If I can get a full-size truck that pulls down close to 30mpg, that's more than enough for me. I was really hoping it was going to be closer to a $3000 option like I think I remember reading originally.

8. ACDNate

That is still a mystery on the Ram. What's the price difference going to be. Looking at Fords going from a standard v6 to a eco boost v6 is $2400(just engine not accounting for other package options). I'd pay $3k more if it gets in the high 20's for mpg.

9. 675AV8R

It's $4500 on the Grand Cherokees.

10. ACDNate

Ouch. That may be more than I'd be willing to pony up. What will really kill it for me is if it's only available on the high end packages. I want a truck with A/C, power locks/windows and a radio. Don't need all the extra baloney. Hell I'd rather have the vinyl seats and floors.

11. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

If we are going by mileage, that price difference wont justify buying the diesel.

but diesels usually last longer, have a higher resale value, and tow better (depending on other variables)

so i guess it is a toss up

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I tow with a hybrid, I'd love a version of my Highlander that tossed the V6 gas job for a 4 cyl Diesel. Better milage and even MOAR torque!

13. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

See that extra price jump is just insane. The Manufactures know that people will pay for it though and they make HUGE money on truck sales. I would love a diesel 1500 myself but gas prices for diesel and the cost to purchase up front right now are prohibitive of me getting one when they come out.

I do think Ford was genious to come out with the ecoboost F150 though and GM needs a response quick. The Variable Displacement System isn't the answer either.

14. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

what is the price difference between a v8 f150 and an ecoboost f150?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  15. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Go do some research on the resale value of 07-08 Grand Cherokees with the diesel and the hemi. If the past is any indication, those buying the new Grand Cherokeed diesel will nearly double the initial cost of the diesel when it comes time to sell... on top of the fuel savings.

Given the used truck market now, I would be willing to bet it won't make sense NOT to buy a diesel 1500 if you plan to get a new one every few years, or if you plan to keep it forever.

16. 675AV8R

It'll be available on most models. http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/

Depends on how much you drive. Even with the additional cost of fuel and the premium upfront I would have come out ahead last year. And this thing blows away the Ecoboost. An additional $2000 upfront, more costly fuel, but almost twice the fuel economy. Do the math. This thing will sell and sell like crazy, and once there are some deals and specials on them or GM comes out with their own I'll be sure to pick one up.

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I owned a second Gen and it was a very fun car. Tyler and I were talking about how much performance you get out of a second gen for the money. Mine was the convertible and Tyler thinks it is ugly compared to the GTS. The GTS is one car he claims he is saving his money for.

18. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

a blue and white 1996 gts will go down in time as one iconic car.
    they are already worth more than the other second gen vipers because of the forged internals.

Kid has good taste!

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That is what he wants... a blue and white 96. We saw one for 25 or 27K, I can't remember. I presume all second gen's have the forged internals?

I didn't even want a Viper when we ended up with it. Mama gave me the ok to get a sports car. I owned a 930 turbo when I was younger, so I was going to look at those again and the Honda S2000. She said, "I think those Vipers look cool, let's look at those". I initially thought big, heavy, POS. Then we went on a test drive. Man that 450 horsepower with no traction control, ABS, etc. was additively fast.

20. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

96-99 had the forged pistons, they went to hypereutectic after that.
    96 had the stronger crank and better rods.

two most desirable (not counting the 1997 viper gt2) are the blue and white 1996 gts, and the 1999 acr.

my first viper was a 1999 acr that was converted into one of the first 3 Hennessey venom 1000s built.

My car was the one in the motor trend shootout where it destroyed every other tuner car in every test.