1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New laptop time- School me, recommend.....

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Nov 11, 2019.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Time for a new laptop. I have an Acer that has done well for me, but starting to get real slow with everything, and I have kept up with disc cleaning, defragging, etc, etc.

Looking at Windows only, no Apples. I really only use Word, Excel, PDF, email and web-based portal work. I use Dragon Naturally Speaking for my voice to text dictation.

No need for gaming or watching TV on it. It is the basis and workhorse of my three-screen home office command center, so a screen no less than 15" is highly requested. I then run two more screens off the laptop.

I don't know the hierarchy of the Intel processors, or if I want a single core, dual core or quad core. Those are just words to me. Flash memory? Sure, 220, 221, whatever it takes. Let me know about that too.

CPU speed? It does seem like Amazon for search parameters list the best/fastest at the top and down from there, but for the CPU speed, the fastest seems to be at the bottom of the options if I am reading it right.

I do store my music library off my laptop on an external 1 TB hard drive, and currently have a 450 GB hard drive that is almost full.

A CD-Rom port is almost necessary, as I tend to get imaging studies still on CD-ROM to review. But I think those have gone the way of the manual transmission. I would then have to get an external CD-Rom reader. As many USB ports as possible. I do have a USB port tower to plug into a single USB, but that does not travel with me. It's all about the USB lately. USB headset, mouse, keyboard, monitors, etc. etc.

It does not need to be painfully light. I do travel for work, but its like four to five times a year on average.

Brands? I did some checking on Kim Kommando, Cnet, Clark Howard and PC Mag site, but it seems like there are paid advertisements versus actual reviews.

As always, much appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Get another Acer. :) I love my travelmates.

I've had Asus, HP, Lenovo, Dell and used to buy Gateways but keep going back to Acer. Not glamorous, they just work and you can't kill them.

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

4. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I had to order one direct from Dell to get a DVD/CD drive built in.

DrA5 likes this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Get one with sold state drive. i added one to my older Dell...holy crap. It boots win 10 in like 3 seconds.

CRA_Fizzer, cav115 and code3ryder like this.
  6. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Do you have Costco?

7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Get at least an SSD, optimal is an m.2 ssd. AMD Ryzen laptops are hitting the market now. They are a really good option now over intel. They have a much better integrated graphics then intel does. If going intel I wouldn’t get anything under an 8000 series. You really want 16 gig ram now days. But at a minimum make sure it has an SSD.

8. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Now days you are gonna have an issue finding a laptop with a cd rom. You might want to think about getting an external one. How do your monitors hook in? HDMI? It isn’t that easy to hook up more then one external monitor without some really specific adaptors.

9. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

YEP!!

SS drive is amazing. My SS Dell is still fast as hell after 4 years.

10. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I just got a Lenovo Yoga and I love it.
    Open Box at Best Buy couldn’t beat the price. I use mine strictly for work as well and it holds it’s own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk