1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New house build necessities

Discussion in 'General' started by Pittenger5, Jun 16, 2018.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

We had hardwood. So it was easier to use a broom vs getting out the hose sometimes.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We have one in the rv, it's great for the spilled dog food right by the counter (the kick plate deal).

3. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

My house is almost done. I ran a media tube from basement mechanical room up to attic so that it will be easier to run anything in the future. This is in addition to all the media already run, so that tube is empty until I need to run something.

I did oversized insulated garage, 11' ceilings, 18' wide main door, and I will be adding LED lights all over the ceiling. Both garage door openers are Q enabled so I can do some automation, the plan is to put those doors and one entrance door on an ap so I can give access remotely to guests. I will also be tying in security cameras. I will get an alert (phone ap) anytime my doors are opened and no matter where I am be able to view who is coming in or out.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You’re missing out

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Dog washing station.

code3ryder and Funkm05 like this.
  6. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Home fire sprinkler system.

Sprinky likes this.
  7. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

F@cking BRILLIANT!!! :eek:

8. joec

joec brace yourself

The dog wash in the mudroom is amazing. Lots of my clients have those these days.

I'd throw outdoor shower in the list down south..

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thats one I forgot - some sort of mechanical chase from the basement to the attic that makes it easier to run future wiring of any sort.

10. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

Good info guys! Keep it coming- I am building right now. Also if you haven’t sourced funding yet TALK TO GEOFF MAY!!!

11. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Walk-in refrigerator. :D

12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Just don’t let the building inspector see it. They frown on chases between spaces.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We've got one the HVAC stuff runs through that is sealed top and bottom per code but you can still drill holes and run cables if need be.

14. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

I never had a problem as long as there are caps installed on the conduits.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Durisol. Build it out of Durisol. It's like cinder blocks, but they are made with mineralized wood pulp. They're lightweight (relative), fire proof, rot proof, bug proof and, because it's wood pulp, you can cut it with ordinary hand tools, nail/screw into it, it breathes, it does not soak up water nor allow water to pass through (you'd still put a vapor barrier below grade.
    It can be stacked many stories high. It does not require mortar, meaning, once you get the first course laid, just start stacking. You fill the voids with rebar and concrete. Durisol will tell you that you will not have any blowouts while pouring the high slump cement under four courses, but people have gone higher (8') without issues.
    Is it expensive? 3x as much as other ICF and insulated bricks but you have to ask yourself, is that because it's three times better or three times quicker to install? Prolly both.
    Being a natural product, it's "green" - no plastics, VOCs or other nastiness. It has its own insulation qualities.
    Conduit? Just run a router across the surface's face wherever you want wiring to go. Air ducts and plumbing? I imagine you install them as you lay the brick so the concrete doesn't fill those voids.

Why anyone would even consider a stick house for long term these days is beyond me. Durisol is nearly bombproof, it's solid, it's quiet, it's easy to install...put whatever finish layer on it you want, inside and out. There is virtually ZERO maintenance.

Did I mention you could nail/screw into it? No looking for studs - just slap on the drywall, cabinets, trim, fixtures...no missed studs, no having stuff hung off-center 'cause that's where the stud was...no finishing issues at all.

The blocks are available in a multitude of sizes and shapes with corresponding levels of insulation.

Roof? How long do TerraCotta tiles last? How well do they breathe? What else would you roof an hacienda with?
    While you're up there, add a Cupola or Lantern...great viewing while suckin' on that morning coffee/evening Scotch, waitin' for them gawdamm pigs to come rootin' through your shit as you load another magazine. :D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's Fred, he's serious and totally fine with spending triple to build a house for slight gains :D

18. fastfreddie

Dude, yes, I am serious. The block is expensive. Everything else, time-wise, is less expensive than other build methods. The insulating qualities alone would make up for a lot, too...don't need all that pesky fiberglas, heavy duty generator/AC/heat, et al.
    Get a mason to lay the first course, do the rest yourself.

19. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

If I’m reading you right, though, the block acts as the full framing, which then gets filled with concrete. How do you drill/screw into that with ease? Wanna move an outlet? Best wishes. Am I missing something??

20. fastfreddie

Drill, screw, nail, route...anywhere you see the "pulp". It's thick enough that, if you have drywall, you can set an outlet - after carving out a hole. Otherwise, yes, your "box" will protrude from the wall.
    [​IMG]
    The brown stuff is insulation and, obviously, the void is for rebar/concrete.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Funkm05 likes this.