1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New house build necessities

Discussion in 'General' started by Pittenger5, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm going to be buying some land and building a new house. Planning on being here for a while, so want to do it right. Obviously initially concerned with the stuff that's not easy to fix in the future, so what are the "needs to have" now a days?
    Foam insulation is a must (Austin, TX), looking into Solar, probably do a tankless water heater system. All the usual electric outlets/USB in the usual places. So what else should I be looking into?
    And yes, 3 car garage is in the plans.

2. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Stripper pole!

peacefuljeff and Gorilla George like this.
  3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

My buddy is building his house now. He put outlets in the roof over hang for Christmas lights. I thought that was a good idea.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You should let Broome handle this.

Broome?

Handle?

See what I did there?

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

tons of power outlets, cable for future electronics, wet bar pre plumbed

If doing spray foam do closed cell only. Stay away from open cell. to save some money look at "flash and batt". Thats an inch or of spray foam on all the exterior walls to seal everything up and then back filled with fiberglass batts. Its also good if you have 6" studs...most foams wont be fire rated for the full 5.5" thickness...though people do the full cavity with it anyway.

6. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

If you already need a 3 car garage than build a 4 car. Or, do a double deep 3 car. There is no such thing as a too small garage. Add a mini-split AC/heat system in the garage like they use in many European countries. Epoxy coated garage floor is a must in my opinion.

mike-guy, RichB, 418 and 1 other person like this.
  7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Roof is always good. :D

8. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

big garage and separate detached shop with 3 phase power for the machinery. 16-18' ceilings with a mezzanine for bike storage. Roof over the main door so you can load/unload stuff while covered from the rain. Oh, and build a house nearby, so it's close walk to sleep at night. Put some of that fancy smell good stuff in the bathroom for the wimins.

cha0s#242 and wsmc 589 like this.
  9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

@Chaotic

Helps if you actually tag him. Like drawing a map, but useful ... and shit.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Generally, if you have to explain your joke, it's not that funny.

Just sayin'

11. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

In floor heat
    Wash sink in the garage
    Hot and cold water hose bibs in the garage
    Extra outlets, quads if you have an idea of where certain stuff is going
    Vaulted ceilings
    Heat recovery unit
    Cable and Ethernet jacks
    Backup generator

12. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Do you have access to natural gas? If so, put in a ng-fueled generator for backup. In the design, wire only key outlets for power backup … frig, HVAC, etc.

Since you mentioned Solar, include energy storage as part of that. If designed properly, the energy storage costs are also eligible for the current 30% Investment Tax Credits, as well as accelerated depreciation. With recent changes to the tax code, verify the current status with your tax expert first.

Include good quality wireless access points throughout. Wired is better - make sure jacks and wiring are rated CAT6e.

Don't forget the paved YSR50 track in the backyard, and make sure it has at least one cool jump. :--)

13. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

220 outlet in the garage. Maybe 2.

fastfreddie likes this.
  14. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Two or three car garage, then add a even bigger shop, attached or not. You’ll fill up both, believe me.

Ducti89 likes this.
  15. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

The power to the soffit"s for Xmas light is nice, seriously consider having Cat6 cable also run to any place you might want a camera. WiFi is nice but won't hold a candle to direct cable.
    Same with the smart TV's, run to a nice central location for you router.
    Having hard wire to windows and doors also make an alarm system a piece of cake.
    Wire is pretty cheap, don't have to install now.

Other things that can be nice, central vacuum system. Motor, tank goes out of the way all you need is the head unit and or hose.

Being in Austin make sure they install a crap load of soffit vents also to help keep the roof space cooler to save on the A/C bill.
    A/C each room should have it's own return to unit, going real high tech go duct less makes zone cooling real nice.

This one some find odd. But is actually pretty sweet.
    Ceiling lights are on there OWN circuit not tied in with the outlet's. Following code most homes don't need many breakers for lights. You over load the room outlet the breaker pop's and your lights won't go out.
    Each room gets it's OWN breaker. My home seems to have one breaker splitting two rooms or more.
    Compared to changing down the road it's cheap.

16. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

This thread just makes me realize how uneducated I am to home construction. Great info. The Beeb never disappoints.

17. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

If it’s 2-story, do different heat & a/c zones for upstairs & main level. Upstairs is always 10-15 degrees hotter. Sucks trying to sleep in the heat. As stated above ... more outlets and cat6 runs than you would ever think you’d need. When I finished off my basement I ran cat 6 to every single outlet junction just to have options. Wish I would’ve done the rest of the house that way.

18. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Going through this right now as well and here is what I got:

Run any pipe/drain in the basement for future sink, bathroom or other. Easier to do it now than busting the floor to put in a bar or bathroom later

Same for heat: running hose in basement floor for hot water radiant heat. My parents house has it in the basement and it's fantastic. I'm not doing the tank or boiler now but the hose will be in the floor ready to go.

Hot water bib outside.

Outlets and cat6 in sofits

Garage deep enough to pull full size extended cab truck or SUV in and have room to move around it. Most plans call for 22ft, making mine 28.

Solid core doors. Huge difference in noise transfer at a small cost.

2 floor homes: insulate and sound proof floor of upstairs master... epically if you have children!

Bigger electrical panel than you need so you can have room to add circuits.

Spray foam insulation

If you can swing it, metal roof. I'm still debating that one.

Funkm05 likes this.
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Wait, what does the @ do? I mean I know it "tags" him but what does that do? Does it shock the shit out of him because I'll do it a lot if so.

20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Funkm05 likes this.