1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New from North carolina

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Clayton White, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Clayton White

Clayton White Well-Known Member

Hello... new to the forum was looking through and cant seem to put my finger on it .. with all the brands that are out what would you say is the best coolant alternative to run in your bike with the least harmful effects

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Plain old filtered tap water. Distilled is too clean and can leach minerals from the bike, regular tap depending on where you live can be too hard leaving mineral deposits. Add Water Wetter or the like, it'll help cavitation some but isn't usually a necessity. Flush it every so often just like changing oil.

Clayton White likes this.
  3. drewwillgetyou

drewwillgetyou Average Guy

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not legal.

5. drewwillgetyou

drewwillgetyou Average Guy

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Did I miss where we went to some other forum than WERA's?

7. nhammond54

nhammond54 Hammond Brothers Racing

Do not use the Lucas coolant additive, I thought it was like redline water wetter. It is not!! I went through 4 radiators last year because of what Mongo is talking about mineral leaching. It eats through the aluminum at a alarming rate!! I finally caught on to what was going on and went back to Redline and have had no problems since.

8. Clayton White

Clayton White Well-Known Member

Very good to know

9. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

How come? No dog in the fight, just curious. Their ad claims AMA and CCS allow it, so it can't be the tracks that forbid it ...

10. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

MotoAmerica does not allow Engine Ice. Only CCS. There are several trackday orgs. that do not allow it either because it is Glycol based

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Glycol based - even the friendlier non poisonous glycol is still slippery. We allowed it for a while but it takes the same cleanup time as oil and is as slippery before it's cleaned up unlike the Water Wetter type additives.

The Engine Ice peeps do I believe have a style that is legal.

12. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

I use Motul Mocool and I believe it is legal.

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Distilled and ww here...

dsmitty37 likes this.