1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New car time.....Mustang?

Discussion in 'General' started by turbodogs02, Mar 23, 2013.

1. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

I'm looking at getting a new ride soon. Like real soon. So I need some advice/input.

I've never owned a car....always had trucks and SUV's. I don't really have a pressing need for that type of vehicle currently, so I think it's time to fully embrace my midlife crisis and roll with a car...a sporty car at that.

After much thought, I've come down to a Mustang GT or a Mini Cooper S/JCW. I know, I know....two polar opposite vehicles. The reason it's those two are: I've always loved the Mustangs. Always wanted one. Test drove a sweet ass 2010 with some tasty mods and was in love. Hard to beat the sound of that V8. I've read about and talked to my mechanic about the 4.6l motor and it seems it's pretty reliable. As for the Cooper, I (actually the ex) had a 2004 S and that thing was just an absolute kick in the pants...funnest car I've ever driven...couldn't help but smile every time I was behind the wheel. The downside is it seems I've started to read about some issues with the engines in these guys, especially the "2nd" gen cars. We never had any real issues with the '04. I had my eye on a couple of 09's.

SO.....great and powerful Beeb......what's the good, bad, and ugly that you all can think of about these cars? Also, what other viable option would you suggest if any?

Price cap around 20-25k. The lower the better of course without sacrificing to much in the mileage department.

2. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Drive the 5.0 mustang first, trust me, you won't be buying a 4.6 if you do. It's soooo much better. 4.6 puts around 250hp to the tires, 5.0 puts around 370. It's not even close.

4. JamesC459

JamesC459 Well-Known Member

For that kind of money you could get an old 5.0 car that goes 10s and it streetable from somewhere in Jersey with money to spare.

5. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

and will be a giant turd when it comes to daily driving it.

6. JamesC459

JamesC459 Well-Known Member

C'mon MAN, Guido neck chains and a procharged LX notchback is all you need to really live. Who needs to take corners when you got a 9 inch convertor and 5.13 gears!

7. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Th 4.6 was that weak? Dang. The current V6 makes 300 hp and still gets ~30 mpg.

My choice from these two is the Mustang. My sister has a Mini and while it's fun in a go-cart kind of way, it is just teeny. Granted, the Mustang ain't exactly huge, but it's slightly easier for me to get into and out of. Plus, you can tow more with a Mustang.

8. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I agree... 5.0 > Cooper. I really don't get the Cooper S... I thought my wifes Mazda 3 handled just as good as the Cooper S that I drove.

9. keevo54

keevo54 Well-Known Member

get an evo

10. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

and out of left field!

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You can't make it through page 1 on the BBS without one of those. There is always a guy who thinks he knows what you really want even though you think you want something else. :D

12. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

oh no doubt!

you need to start recommending obscure cars only found in france!:D

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Tata Nano FTW!

14. wac

wac Well-Known Member

Got a cooper s. Carbon build up in the intake and timing chain issues , thermostat too, are an negative . The car it's fun as it gets, 34mpg too.
    Get the tang

15. Ryan600RR

Ryan600RR Well-Known Member

Take a look at an 03-04 cobra. They will be cheaper and more exclusive than the new 5.0 GTs. They have a T56 tranny, IRS, forged motor, and an eaton m112 blower. They respond GREATLY to modifications - think an American version of a Toyota Supra.

16. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

ya, those terminator motors haul ass!

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's still a fox body though. Hard plastic, creaks, rattles, poor ergos, wind noise, etc. I had a 98 cobra for six months. Hated it every day except the day I sold it (put 5000 miles on it and sold it for $1500 more than I bought it for:D).

18. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

they are poorly built POS...but fast poorly built pos.

19. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Stick with the Trucks...:D

20. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

The 2010 4.6 was putting out 315hp.

The brand new 2013 v6 is putting out 305. But it sure doesn't sound the same. :cool:

I had also considered Audi S4, and A3 S-Line, but really wasn't sure about the maintenance schedule and costs associated with that type of car.

I guess I should clarify a bit:

I have found a 2010 Mustang GT with some nice mods, 29k on the clock and still under factory warranty for 24

I have also found a 2009 JCW Mini with 30k on the clock and still warrantied as well for 23

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013