1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 2009 Teen Challenge Series

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by infinityreplica, Nov 30, 2008.

1. infinityreplica

infinityreplica Well-Known Member

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay seriously, whil I agree with 2-strokes being good for riding, are you really trying to use a USGPRU FAQ as proof of something? :crackup:

3. infinityreplica

Muwahha...muwahhaa...!

No Sean,

Just trying to get them to realize they speak with forked tongue......:tut:

But it is still a semi free world.

On a side note, we have 2 kids that have purchsed Aprilias and are under 12...

Did Scott contact you about a few ideas today?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Scott who? Which is pretty much a no answer :)

5. infinityreplica

You got a PM!

6. infinityreplica

No you dont, it says your blocked! Damn your hard to reach to talk with.....would you get me a PM and I will send you his contact info?

7. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

I am a great believer in bringing kids up through minis-125s-250s. It worked for Hopper, Spies, and now Kris Turner and Russ Wikle (minus the 250 for Russ).

But purpose-built 125cc racebikes, like a Honda RS125. Not streetbikes.

8. John29

Although maybe streetbike-that's-the-same-speed-as-a-good-85cc-mini/125 GP bike/250 GP bike might work as well, for kids who are tall enough to ride it.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, the Ninja 250 should work for a tall kid vs a mini too. There are other options but the progression is good.

Frank - email. You've got the address.

10. infinityreplica

Mongo, Scott is coming your way via email per your request.

JU, didnt (if my memory serves me correctly) Hopper ride the Aprilia 250 Challenge here in the US? Isnt that where you found him? Those bikes were and are DOG slow too aren't they?

The list of riders who have developed at some level on these "streetbikes" is long and distinguished for sure.

Rossi
    Biaggi
    Capirossi
    Barros
    Stoner
    Davies
    Redding
    Bradley Smith
    Cal Crutchlow WSS
    Toseland
    Leon Haslem WSBK
    Jonny Rea WSBK
    etc, etc.

So to try and write it off as a "dog slow", well that doesnt seem like true reporting of facts,, IMHO:rolleyes:

But hey, what do I know about journalism. Maybe I should start an online magazine though? hmmm?;)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  11. John29

You'll have to improve your reporting skills, but if you want to give it a shot, go ahead, there's always room on the Internet for more Mindless Cheerleading.

FACTS: I found Hopper when he was an 8-year-old racing a 50; he then went through 80s, RS125s and a TZ250 before I bought an Aprilia 250 and ran him in the series, which he won. And yeah, because everybody in that Aprilia class was on a dog-slow streetbike, it worked OK. But this deal where you keep trying to slag off the Moriwaki and portray the Aprilia 125 streetbike as being the same thing as a 125cc GP bike is a pretty big reach.

Fact is, you have a good idea in your series, and that idea will stand on its own: identical bikes, that don't cost that much (relatively speaking). You don't need to resort to BS to promote it. Promote it on its strengths.

12. infinityreplica

Thats all were doing John.....but you and "others" seem to have an opinon.....and its not of a positive nature.:wow:

But heres Hoppers resume from Monster Kawasaki site: Funny John doesnt mention any of what you said earlier then then the Aprilia 250.....i

From his earliest road-racing days, John Hopkins was earmarked as a kid with a big future. Born in Ramona in southern California to parents freshly removed from their hometown of London, England, John counts himself as more than just part British and races with a Union Jack flag on his helmet and his motorcycle`s fairing. His father was a keen motorcyclist and former Isle of Man TT road-racer. When John was barely walking, he was taking rides on the tank of his father`s machines. He grew up riding dirt bikes in the desert every weekend, and first raced at the age of five in a motocross event.

When John was only 12, he was already a seasoned dirt-track racer, and Hopkins senior decided to give him his first taste of road-racing. John immediately was taken with road racing but then sadly his father passed away, and it seemed that side of John`s life was over. But his fascination with the sport was not to be denied, and through sheer determination he went back to road-racing; only to be thwarted by a string of mechanical problems.
    Persistence paid off for young John as he was eventually discovered by US Team Valvoline EMGO Suzuki team owner John Ulrich who invited John out to test with the team. As fate would have it, John`s road racing skills shone through and he was invited to be a part of the team.

While his stint with the team was short-lived, John was picked up in 2002 with the Red Bull Yamaha GP team, where John has able to further his knowledge of riding with the best in the world.
    No matter what team he rides for, John has always had his sights set on the highest prize: "I`ve always dreamed of winning the World Championship. That`s my goal". It is that dedication and long term vision that John brings to each race and it is only a matter of time before that dream becomes a reality.

Then of course theres this article in the LA times.....
    http://articles.latimes.com/2005/jul/08/sports/sp-motors8

Dont talk smack about me or what I do, and not expect me to call you on it when your talking smack about yourself.

You dont have to race an Aprilia......you dont even have to admit that they exist......but know this....the more you talk smack about the series....the more power you push in my direction!!!

Please!! Continue with the bashing!!!!!:clap:

You guarantee our success.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  13. John29

That deal you cut and pasted is inaccurate. Ask his mother.

I'm not talking smack, I'm correcting your needless smack pointed at the Moriwaki. Which is why I stated you had a good idea that can stand on its own. I can't understand why you aren't promoting the positives and the reality, vs. trying to prove it is somehow better than the Moriwaki and its program (see your thread headline) or that it is somehow akin to racing a Honda RS125.

You have a weird approach, and seem to lack reading comprehension.

14. John29

Talking smack about myself? I was there, and I didn't see you. Again, ask his mother. When I met him, he was racing a YSR50 with CMRRA, and he was on a RS125 at age 13 and on a TZ250 at age 15. Hopper rode my Aprilia after he turned 16 and could get an AMA license, won two AMA Championships on my Suzukis, tested a YZR500 in tests I arranged, and then went off to ride in 500cc GP with a ride I arranged.

Hell, ask Robert Pandya who worked for Aprilia or anybody who saw Keith Perry working on his Aprilia, pitting out of my truck at AMA Nationals.

Dude, you and reality do not seem to get along.

15. infinityreplica

LOL!!!!! Thats a VERY accurate statement .........finally!!

Your are VERY right on that john.......I do NOT agree with "reality".....I very much go my own way, and dont follow what others do or say I should do......

You should try it some time.....its very liberating.........:beer:

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, Frank, you're an idiot. I watched JU and Hopper as he brought him up through the ranks and he knows a hell of a lot more about what happened than Monster or the LW Times.

Your way is a fucked up path of lies and lunacy. You might want to try another route...

17. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I own and love riding Aprilias. I think that you have a fantastic concept for a youth roadracing series, especially in light of the current economic climate, one that I would consider having my kid involved in.

I am new here and I don't know you therefore I have no bias for or against you, but i cannot understand how you hope to attract parents to sign on to your program with the attitude that you have exhibited on here. You have shown yourself to petty, self- aggrandizing, arrogant, disrespectful of others, and boorish, not the qualities that most parents look for in someone who will have some level of involvement and influence on their kids.

Seems to me that you would want to portray yourself as someone who wishes to impart to the kids racing knowledge, the value of good character, life lessons, of how to race hard but clean, to be a racing mentor and positive role model to them, not unlike Kevin Schwantz with the RB Rookies Cup. That's the kind of guy I would want my kid to be around.

Again I think that you have a great idea, one that should stand on its own considerable merits without you trying to discredit and undermine other series and bikes.

I would never let my kid anywhere near you or your series.

18. motopix

motopix Well-Known Member

Give someone enough rope...

They did and he did.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. People were wondering why I let this go on... ;)

20. infinityreplica

Nuff said.

JU and I just had a nice conversation on the phone.

As he stated" we will just chalk this all up to a misunderstanding".

JU, thanks again for the dialogue, and we will let you know when were ready for your rider to come test the bike next month for a review in RRW.