1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never thought of Mini's til now?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by sqrlnut, Sep 11, 2012.

1. sqrlnut

sqrlnut Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    my nephew has a kawi 110 that he built for NJMP(not sure what class). anyway, i was at the AMA this week and got the bug. I love running my Gixxer but wanted something that me the wife and son (4yr old) can do together. I realy like the look of the NSR but my nephew seems to think with where i live Pine Grove, PA.. i would be better off building a dirtbike style so i can use it for both dirt and track.
    i am 41yrs old 5'10" and 180lbs
    Now my question:
    what class can i run, should i run?
    What bike works best for eack class?
    what can i look to spend on a bike?
    i know they are basic questions but i dont have the time to research myself and figure you guys are the experts when it comes down to it. Thanks

2. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

I have had blast on my Chinese clone Thumpstar 125. XR's and TTR's seem to be the way to go...

3. raddad13

raddad13 Well-Known Member

Im a 2stroke guy myself, but the 4s dirt bike style seems to be the choice of most.
    as far as classes go, look up the club your going to race with and they should have a break down of classes and cc limits. xr100's are a popular bike and easy to get on the track cost wise. 800 ish for the bike an xr 80 front wheel and a set of street tires is about all you need.
    If your want to work on corner speed or prep the little one for big bikes then go with the nsr.

4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

It's hard to beat an XR100 for fun per dollar.

5. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Xr100s are hard to beat. Xr 50 for the kid.

6. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Xr100 all the way. I bought one for $400 with a spare parts bike that had an engine in it. They are cheap, bomb proof, tough as nails, and PLENTY of performance parts.

7. sqrlnut

What about the CRF100? and is there a difference between that and the CRF100F?
    i found a good deal on an 04xl but it isnt running and the guy said it needsvalves and "no title" ???

8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

All the 100s are basically the same bike. The CRF bodywork is just more modern. It takes an incredible amount of abuse to make a honda 100 quit running. The rest of the bike will probably be trashed too. You should be able to buy a good clean runner for less than the cost of buying and repairing someone else's problem.

9. backcountryme

Like nigel said, Crf and post 95 XR are virtually the same bikes. Look for a good clean runner. Mine needed an exhaust valve but I already had another parts engine so I wasn't worried. But if you are starting from scratch look for a bike that runs. The XR/Crf are great bikes that will teach you to hit your marks on the track. And they are tons of fun to throw around.

10. sqrlnut

well, i picked up an06 CRF100 cheap. now all i need is a front rim and tires and to find out when there are practice days. Our son (almost 4) already wants to follow mom around the yard on his PW50, so thats a good sign :)

11. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

What's everyone's thoughts on an extremely low mileage '00 KX60? Little thing is stupid fast for the size. Of course, I'm a sissy :D

12. backcountryme

We run the stock front wheel up here.

13. raddad13

raddad13 Well-Known Member

get the kx60 :) you will want to swap out the front wheel from 14" to 12"
    for better tire choices.
    then you can come play in the parking lots w/us:D

14. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Already have it. Been sitting in my garage collecting dust for awhile. Had thought about racing it but kind of dismissed the idea with so many other things (racing) on my plate and also not knowing if it'd even be competitive. It's a noisy little monster, that's for sure!

[​IMG]

15. backcountryme

Damn man, race it!!!

16. Bart#72

Bart#72 Well-Known Member

If your going to run with NJMiniGP and race with them they have a stock 100 class, all you need is tires!

17. TZ925

TZ925 I do it for His glory!

How far are you from Dulles Airport? (Sterling, VA).

There will be eight events at an indoor go kart track this winter. Roughly fifty riders show up. You will get great tack time and be totally exhausted when you're done.

Cost is $50-$60.

Let me know if you want more info.

Monty

18. TZ925

TZ925 I do it for His glory!

How far are you from Dulles Airport? (Sterling, VA).

There will be eight events at an indoor go kart track this winter. Roughly fifty riders show up. You will get great tack time and be totally exhausted when you're done.

Cost is $50-$60.

Let me know if you want more info.

Monty

19. davis2480

davis2480 Blake Davis's dad #122

I have a supermoto crf 50 tricked out inbox me.