1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nerds!!!! Website guys and gals (and photo peeps), school me.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I've been shooting photos and I don't want to post them on a site that claims ownership, what are my options? How much to register a website, build it, post a lot of compressed photos and give the photos away for free?

Local sports clubs; soccer, lacrosse, field hockey and whatever I wander across.

This is a hobby and I don't want to charge the parents for the the uncompressed copies but I also don't want to spend thousands giving shit away for free.

The local org is okay but money is tight and I'm trying to give back. What are my options?

2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Dropbox?

3. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Instaproofs.com reasonable cost

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

Does a hosting site claims ownership? I know in Flickr you can set the ownership status to what you would like. Smugmug just bought them out, and that was a go to place for photogs to sell photos, or just have folks download the photos.

calling @Newsshooter

5. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Imgur? At least it's free- I think? Imgur.com I had to go to them when photobucket took a crap

BigBird likes this.
  6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

They shouldn't be able to claim ownership but they certainly could, read the terms closely. I figure anything that gets posted on the web is likely to be "borrowed", so make it small and put a watermark on it, that will slow them down.

BigBird likes this.
  7. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

Agreeing with Newsshooter. They will get borrowed, posted on Facebook, etc. But if you post small versions with a watermark of your logo or something that has your email address embedded on the photo it's better than nothing. Creating a metadata tag within each of your photos is a good idea too.

8. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Piwigo
    http://piwigo.org

I've been using it and have been pretty happy.

You can either download the software and run the server yourself on your own computer, or pay a whopping $40/year and they will do the hosting for you. Unlimited storage, lots of access control options, lots of extensions to change things up. There's a phone app for android and apple. Really suggest checking it out for getting started fast. I think it will do just what you are looking for.

I used one of the extensions which allowed other people to submit pictures to the gallery after I approved them. Worked great for a few weddings when you're trying to get pictures taken by other people in full res.

BigBird likes this.
  9. aalpine1

aalpine1 Well-Known Member

wordpress.com
    - almost 30% of the net
    - you will focus on design and pictures
    - no maintenance
    pricing -> https://wordpress.com/pricing/ + domain >$10/year (depends on TLD/privacy/name/and so on)

or take the long road, aws free tier ec2 (linux with nginx , php7), rds (mysql), s3 (to store your pics), cache, ssl cert and wordpress (free).
    - you will need to maintain everything...
    cost probably are :
    - domain >$10/year (depends on TLD/privacy/name/and so on)
    - AWS - probably you are looking at between $100 and $200/month (depends on how fast you want the site to be, and how many GB of pictures you will upload)

there are also other options, such as azure (windows people), google cloud (too much trouble for your project), rackspace/softlayers (who ?), linode/digitalocean (too much downtime/maintenance), ovh (parlez vous francais?) and aruba.it (in case you want Ducati to get some $$$).

depending on what you want to achieve, think about mobile optimization, analytics and SEO (you might want people to find your site).

10. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

You can get your own domain name and web hosting for $36 a year. Build your own site or buy a template and upload your photos all you want. Check out IVC hosting I have used them for years. No complaints.

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

If you have Amazon Prime, it includes photo hosting.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Sorry am I 2 weeks late in giving you information? :D

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Kenny, what did you do this time? You get banned more often than I put gas in my car. :D

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Intentional YouTube violation. :D

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dumbass. You know damn well that'll get you and all expense trip to banned camp. :D

16. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

DaveK,

Before you start posting up pics of other peoples kids, have you considered the legal aspects?

My sister is an amatuer photographer and she ran into issues posting pics from her daughters HS events on her website.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap and that's why I'm trying to figure out on how I limit access to the photos. Just parents of the kids.

Used Team Snap last year and that was great but the money ran out for them this year so it was a non starter.

18. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Piwigo you can create sets of users. Set one user to each folder. Only give the username and password to the people who need to access that folder's pictures. Unless someone is logged in, they can't see anything that isn't set to public, and can only see the folder the username is assigned to. If you need to take a folder offline, just change the user permission on the folder and it's gone.

19. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

I've made it a habit now that when I am shooting, I only shoot the people that have approached me ahead of time.

If this is something you will be doing often, then over time you will gain clientele by word of mouth and folks will approach you to have photos done. Having hidden folders and such on your site makes it a pain for you (my old smugmug site was a testimony to that mess of what I could see and what a racer could see) and takes away from the fun of shooting.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Where in the hell have you been!!!