1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nelson Race Report, Aug. 25

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by tittys04, Aug 28, 2013.

1. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Well we all know Nelson Ledges has a reputation, but as a racer who had never ridden there, I had to make the journey to NE Ohio to check it out. The track can't be as bad as everyone says, right? .......

Cliff notes version of the race report:

HWT Solo: 2nd
    CSS: 3rd
    BSS: 4th
    CSB: DNF (Tucked the front in T1)
    BSK: 6th (on the Honder back up bike)

The layout of the track is actually pretty fun, but it doesn't make up for the pavement. The track would be awesome with a new surface, but that would also require a lot of clearing to give more runoff... so I doubt it will happen.

I certainly don't regret going, it was an eye opening experience that will make me a better rider, but in the same breathe I doubt I go back.

For the full race report, click here.

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

After my wreck there I haven't been back either. One day though!

3. tittys04

I'm not going to blame my wreck on the track, that's not really why I don't think I'll be back. It's just too far from STL to make that kind of a trip for that caliber of track. It'd be different if it were close... hell, I go to Gateway all the time, but I'd never make a long trip for it (although I can't even compare Gateway and Nelson, Gateway is an ok surface and a fun layout, the walls are just a bit too close. Plus, Gateway seems to be up for making changes for the good).

After inspecting the bike a little closer, I found my front tire was just toast. I made the wrong compound choice on the front, and didn't monitor the tire wear as closely as I should have. I checked it after the 1st race and thought it was ok, but didn't look at it after the first race of my back to backs. I didn't do anything differently that lap than any other lap, so I just think my front had had enough abuse. Totally my fault, but now I know.

4. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Don't go saying GMP is better than Nelson's!!

5. tittys04

You have to be kidding me. There are more bumps between T3 & T4 at Nelson than there are on the entire surface of Gateway. :Poke: :D

6. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Agreed. It seemed that the fast line through the whoops was changing lap after lap. I really enjoyed the tabletop on the kink though!! ;)

7. tittys04

:crackup:

8. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

i've heard about that place.. after many bits of feedback from friends that have opinions i respect, i will never attend LOL.

9. tittys04

Well... after doing it once, I doubt I make the 10 hr trip to do it again. But it was worth at least checking out. You have to ride the shit tracks to appreciate the nice ones :Poke: :D

10. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

nah... thats the good thing about paying to ride & not getting paid to ride. We get to choose where we go :D

11. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA

I have never thought about it that way, but I dig that way of putting it.

Tittys I dig the website and loved the onboard video from the Nelson race. That place looks wild..scary and fun racing at the same time. Great racing keep it up!