1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nelson Ledges...

Discussion in 'General' started by DucatiBomber, Apr 6, 2018.

1. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Just saying it's not as popular just seems odd. Is it saying there aren't as many people doing it? If not why?

As far as popular in general public I would say it's more popular than ever before. When I was a teenager there was no tv coverage but I knew who Eddie Lawson was through magazines.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Riding on tracks is more popular than ever - which is a great thing. Roadracing overall is more popular or at least as popular - worldwide. Less people are attending club races and less are attending races in person. However some of that is tv access and net access so there is give and take. Less people at the track though hurts the sport for sure. Club racing is absolutely less popular. The why is pretty simple, you no longer have to race as the only way to get on track. Track days absolutely hurt club racing. That isn't remotely saying they're a bad thing, they are not. They are a good thing. But club racing has been hurt and will never recover to the old days, it's changed and there is no fix because there isn't something inherently wrong.

Boman Forklift and condon66 like this.
  3. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Have to say, this makes a lot of sense and seems to have a lot of merit. I do think it's hard to really concretely tell just how much club racing is down due to track days, and how much it's down for other factors - plus it's equally hard to tell just how much track days have been a feeder to club racing that would not otherwise exist. While there are people who now only ride track days because there are options other than club racing - it's also true that there are people racing that would never otherwise have raced in club races had they not started at track days. It's also impossible to ignore the fact that new sportbike sales are not what they once were - as most dealers will attest to, and that the industry as a whole is down - just ask Tucker Rocky about that.

Brian Riemland likes this.
  4. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

You all want the answer to why road racing is down, I got it and it's simple

People now a days are just a bunch of pu$$ies. They would rather play on the facegrams, instatoobs and e-sports. They get their adrenaline rushes from someone "liking" a post rather than real life experiences.

Thanks alot, now you made me go all 80's old man in here. Meh, I'm off to eat my Quaker Oats and drink my prune juice.

PUT NELSON ON THE SCHEDULE ASAP, Tire walls and all :)

zippytech, cav115 and Todd@MPH like this.
  5. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Just to beat the horse a bit more, I think for racing to recover a little more it needs to provide value to the grid filler level rider. I was just at Barber for a STT day and tried to convince some A riders to come out and play. It is a tough sell on value. I still think there may be some merit to a flat fee structure that gives grid fillers a better tracktime/$ ratio. It has to hit the tipping point where a race weekend and it's higher intensity (different) fun can match a TD. The trick is finding that balance point that works for the Orgs.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Trackdays as a feeder happens but it's more riders who would race anyway. It's not something that gets riders who would never have raced to go racing. Racing is down to trackdays quite simply because we used to be the ONLY way you could ride your bike on a track and push the limits at all. Having a buhzillion other options hurt racing a bunch. Back in the day the majority of racers weren't into racing as much as riding on track - just like track day riders.

I disagree with the people who would never go racing if it weren't for track days. Those people would have wanted to be on track some way or another and would have just gone straight into racing. Same as the old days, via word of mouth or their friends or whatever. Same way they got into track days in the first place.

When you're comparing the old days you have to totally remove trackdays from existence - because they didn't exist. You can't try and factor them into what gets people on track now when comparing because when they're 100% out of the equation the riders would go straight to racing. It's not hard to factor in how they feed racing because while they do now, they did not in any way get riders to go racing who wouldn't have gone before. What they did is offer an option for those who would never have gone racing.

Todd@MPH likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It can't happen. Our expenses aren't the same as STT so we can't compete on pricing per lap with STT. Not without compromising a lot of things we just won't do that we feel are necessary for racing and aren't for a trackday. Not enough of them would show up to offset the loss in income, we've tried coupons and discounts and the like and none have ever actually worked. Cost isn't the issue even if that is their excuse. I truly believe the majority are like me - no interest in gridding up and pushing it that hard.

8. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Mongo, I can't begin to say how wrong you're perception are around this. I personally know of at least 10 people in the last two years that would never, ever, ever have considered racing had they not started in track days. I actually see this on an upswing. Maybe it didn't used to be that way, but it sure is now. Frankly, a key feeder that has helped has been the trackday to Endurance to sprint feeders. Now, I'm not saying that it makes up the majority, or that the majority of people coming from track days to racing wouldn't do it regardless - there is zero ability to actual validate that. But your statements above are factually not true. I think things have changed a bit, Mongo.

I think you're also missing the idea about cost. I sympathize about costs and understand the difference in cost structure - and am not trying to say that race days could be as cheap as track days on a per lap basis. The problem, however, is that they are WAY higher. Possibly, that's just the way it is. But to say "cost isn't the issue" for some people is just wrong. There are people on a very limited budget that are running nothing but takeoffs even on track days, and it's just the way it is. Cost is absolutely a factor for some people.

The Dung Beetle and condon66 like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My statements are absolute factually true. You need to stop reading into them your own feelings or whatever it is you're doing. I know things have changed, that it exactly my point. They have changed a lot. Yet for some reason people keep thinking I'm bitching about track days and get all defensive because that's how they got into racing.

Back to reality - You're talking to people in an era where trackdays exist - that's the problem when you're comparing to an era when they didn't happen at all. They absolutely would have considered racing if there were no other way on track. Just like the thousands of racers we ALL had who no longer race - yet as I have said there are many many many more people on tracks every year than ever before. It's not a downturn in motorcycle sales that is causing less racers.

These are two entirely different conversations that everyone keeps confusing - when you look at the old days and start talking about how trackdays have possibly hurt racing by their very existence you cannot start talking about how they have helped in that same comparison. They have not helped compared to before they existed. Period end of story. They have hurt. A lot. However that isn't necessarily a bad thing for the sport of motorcycling as a whole, personally I think it's good.

Now, an entirely different conversation is with them existing, how to get more track day riders to go racing - that can happen but it's not as easy as people think since most have no interest in racing no matter which reason/excuse they give you.

BTW - those people who are complaining about cost, are they running old SV's or vintage bikes? Because you can absolutely go racing for the same cost if you truly want to race. That's where you have to step back and look at the reasons they give you.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I am curious about something for all of you who insist on arguing this stupid shit with me every time it comes up - when did you start racing? When was your very first time on a racetrack?

Lets start with WMH.

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Yep
    Go into any multi brand bike shop and ask them what's selling? UTVs and ATVs is what they will tell you. What about sport bikes you ask and they will say "we sell like 12 or more UTVs and ATVs to every one sport bike". And don't think that if KTM, BMW, Ducati, or Triumph are talking about double digit growth last year that it has a big effect on the overall because it doesn't really. The why is because their volumes are very small in the big picture.

I used to be the company liaison to the MIC (Motorcycle Industry Council) and I gathered and analyzed the bike and tire sales data. In regards to new bike sales the top ten bikes sold in the US for the past 10 years or so are cruisers or touring bikes. Back in 08 or 09 either the R6 or Ninja 250 made the top ten list, but that was a long time ago. And to put it in perspective a bit from a tire standpoint 50% of the business is cruiser/touring, and for true road race tires it's about 1%.

So I'm not trying to bring doom and gloom to this great sport that I love and made my living at, I'm just trying to help people understand things. Road racers are a great passionate but very small group.

condon66 and wmhjr like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exactly.

13. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Track days before racing - and not that many years ago. Speaking of the road - not in the dirt that is. And no - there is zero possibility that I'd ever have gridded up in a race had I not been invited to my first track day. And, since I'm in my 50s, and bought my first sport bike new in the late 70s, I was certainly around "before track days". So I am factual evidence that you're at least partially wrong. And I could give you names of other folks who have started racing in the last 2 years that are exactly the same. I won't here on this forum, but I'd be happy to privately do so if it will help you understand your customer base better.

Next?

Mongo, everybody is hostage to their own experience. Honestly, I think the fact that you've been at this for so long has given you a little tunnel vision. It's not just that track days exist today - the world has changed in a lot of ways. I think you're over simplifying and making statements that are based on your opinions - however are not validated by actual facts. There is some truth to what you think. There is also a lot wrong. Maybe there's an opportunity to reach out more if you can understand this.

14. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

This. Lots of dealers are having the greatest difficulty moving supersport bikes than any other part of their inventory. Just the way it is. It's pretty obvious, really. The sales figures aren't exactly top secret. Wasn't all that long ago that there was no way you'd get a relatively deep discount on the newest generation of super bike. But....... Sales on the new R1s and GSX-R1000s have been slow to the public, and have been discounted very quickly. Same thing for R6s.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, like I said in the dungeon, going to be one of those days with you.

Subject 1 - So you have no remote clue how people got onto the track before track days, you admit you don't have any experience in all of this, yet you still insist I'm wrong and you're right.

If you wanted to ride on the track BEFORE TRACKDAYS EXISTED - in all caps so maybe you'll fucking listen :crackup: (btw the way, curse word inserted for the same reason as typing normally you continually ignore what I say) - then you'd have gone racing. If you had the desire to push your limits not on the street then you and your buds bs'ing in the mountains or at the dealership would have gone racing. It was the only option. Yet again - this was BEFORE TRACKDAYS EXISTED! And I am absolutely telling you factually that is how it would work right now IF TRACKDAYS DIDN"T EXIST!

Got it yet? My comments on the past are factually correct because I was there and every racer on here who raced then will tell you the same exact thing. That's how I got to the track. It's how everyone who raced before you ever heard of motorcycles got into it. Stop saying it's factually incorrect because it isn't. Your assumptions are wrong because you have no clue what the world was like without trackdays. I do. Many others here do.

Now - subject 2 - the current world WITH TRACKDAYS EXISTING - it is different and we're working within that world. Duh. We do reach out. Yet another area where you seem to not have a clue, who in the world do you think is working with N2 doing the endurance races? We work with STT doing them too. Do you even know who owns the web board you're posting on?

Subject 3 - yes, the world has changed. I know that. I have said something to that effect in every post I've made. So why are you ignoring that? Why do you keep focusing on my comments about before track days and trying to argue what I'm saying when you have absolutely NO clue what you're talking about?

I'm not the one with tunnel vision. I can discuss before trackdays because I was there and saw it. I can discuss with trackdays because that is the current reality.

Todd@MPH likes this.
  16. condon66

Thank you:D

17. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Sorry, you made a fundamental error, Mongo.

I DID want to ride on the track back in the day. I would LOVED to have ridden on the track back in the day. I DIDN'T ride on the track back before track days. Why? Because the jump from the street straight to racing was too steep in a number of ways. You can malign people and make shit up all you want about them not having the balls to race then or whatever you want, but it's just plain bullshit. The fact that you're trying to put words in other peoples mouths about what "they'll all say" is priceless.

Wrong, Mongo. You can discuss who showed up to race before track days. That's it. Nothing more than anyone else. And obviously, you don't have the faintest damn reason as to why somebody may or may not have shown up to race. But here's your problem, Mongo. You can't accept maybe comprehending that you've not considered something else, so instead you just keep ignoring facts.

Anyway, it's (as usual) obvious futility to try and have a rational discussion with you. Here's a thought. Instead of fighting about why you think you know more than everybody else on the planet and pissing them off, a little actual listening for a change just might be of benefit.

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Back in 1985 Grattan had a club you could join. It was called the Grattan road race club. It cost, are you ready? $120 for a full years membership and it got you track time any day that the track wasn't being used. So is this the first track day group in the US?:D

19. condon66

I wish there had been something like that near me at that time...18 yrs old.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Had a feeling. You've shown you don't have the slightest clue what it was like before trackdays existed and every single thing you say is based on them being here. You don't have the slightest clue what you'd do without trackdays because you've never been without them.

I have not maligned anyone and you really need to stop making up lies about me, I will only tolerate it for so long. I have never once said anything remotely derogatory about track day riders. I am not making them out to be lesser somehow - that shit is all you. As more proof you don't listen, I flat out said I'd be a trackday rider and not a racer if I had the time. I have repeatedly said it's a choice and nowhere have I come close to saying it's a bad one. I get the choice, it's one I'd make, it's great for a lot of people. I have also never said it's a bad step between street and racing. It's a good step. It's not a necessity but it's not a bad thing at all.

I've been doing this for 31 years this season and have talked to tens of thousands of racers and track day riders and street riders. I do get why people make the choices they do.

I have no problem pissing you off. You have refused to actually read what people type since you got here. You prefer arguing and actively ignore what people actually say.

If you post something worth listening to I'll listen. So far you've posted lies and stupid crap arguing a point that no one is arguing with you. The world is indeed different....