1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nelson Ledges...

Discussion in 'General' started by DucatiBomber, Apr 6, 2018.

1. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Fair point I suppose but either way it’s monry going in that could potentially get put into the track and it’s facilities. I hope grattan isn’t that bad as I’m planning to go there in a few weeks.

2. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

What you guys are missing is Eddie is talking about the bigger picture of Road Racing in this country.

Ride safe,
    AAron

ekraft84 likes this.
  3. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I get that. That's why I said what I said. I'm not just talking about tracks staying in business. But the bigger picture has nothing to do with competing with TD orgs for a date. I'm only commenting on what was said. If you want to talk about more than that, that's okay. I understand there's more to it but, no one can say that what happened concerning losing the Nelson date has a part to play in why rr'ing in this country suffers. Top racers used to be able to make money club racing. What can they make today in comparison? Isn't that the real elephant in the room? Amongst lots more contributing factors, I know.

cav115 likes this.
  4. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I would really love to see a track take off in this area.

From what I can see it's just the business model that doesn't work because of lack of traffic.
    Pirc and vir are great right now because of an influx of cash that had nothing to do with their business.
    Usually one business prevails and you have maybe one really good track in this area.
    It would be good to see at least that.
    And I guess to that point we have pirc now that's fairly close.
    But again it did not get there on its own business model
    But I sure hope it stays that way even if it has to be at the expense of other tracks.

As far as Grattan it's still sealer everywhere and half the track with second gear.

I know it's personal preference but I think it'd be a great Grom track.
    And I hope they do get the potholes fixed for the race.

5axis likes this.
  5. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Hey Aaron, coming to the Grattan race?

6. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Last time I went to Grattan the track was slick as hell and I had $10,000 worth of stuff stolen from my pits.
    I’ll pass. Lol

Ride safe,
    AAron

cav115 likes this.
  7. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Still slick.

Hate to hear you head that kind of theft.

Hope to see you guys at PIRC.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  8. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Darn-it. I was looking forward to a fun really fast flow track. There are only a few tracks in the area that have "good" surfaces. Nelson is fresh. PIRC is pretty fresh. Gingerman was still pretty good a few seasons after its repave. And Road America is pretty decent. I wish mid o would get done.

9. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

When was the last time you went to Gingerman? Last year when we were there the race line was rough as hell in most of the corners, to the point of altering my line through them. One of my buddies decided to just ride through it and was shredding tires like crazy... Still one of my favorite tracks though.

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Losing one club racing race event to a TD, is not the sole reason roadracing is suffering. It's simply one example, in a bigger picture.

To answer your question, top racers outside the 5%, can't make anything.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  11. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

bartedit.jpg
    Maybe 2 years.. I'm old and have landed on my head often.

Shame that the surface is getting beat, but they do seem to do a LOT of car events so I guess it's not unexpected. I had a ball there chasing Bart one STT weekend when I happened to have a "on" day riding.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  12. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Heck, Grattan was just repaved a few years ago itself. I think they started putting the crummy slick sealer on almost immediately. I can't imagine at $1M/mile that most tracks can afford to repave very often.

Last year, or year before (I forget) we were riding there in the rain - very slick. Not mid-O slick, but slick just the same...

ekraft84 likes this.
  13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I started racing at Grattan in 84, and since then EJ and the boys repaved the place at least 4 if not 5 times. And how many times did the Sledges repave in that same timeframe? This tells me that Grattan is committed to road racing and wants to offer a great venue. But being in Michigan keeping pavement perfect just can't done. I wonder now if the ground under the track is more unstable and more prone to frost heaving and hence the needing of so much sealer for the cracks?

Then you can't JUST blame motorcycle track days for the lack of dates either. You are competing with the SCCA and a bazillion car clubs that like to rent these places so it is what it is. For instance if race track X is approached by WERA and a Porsche club for a weekend. What are the chances for the track to make more money with the bike racers over the Porsche club? I would think in most instances the car club brings in more gate money. Just my 2 cents worth

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Home Depot sealer, beer in hand!

The Grattan version of repaving and the - let's say - PittRace version of repaving, are two entirely different process and cost models.

Absolutely - car guys pay the bills, but there are plenty of 2-wheeled TD's selling out, routinely in popular pockets.

5axis likes this.
  15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Motorcycle road racing suffers in this country because it's not as popular as it was, and nothing more than that. Harley is losing sales because of the same reason!

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

And Pitt race has been running a motorcycle race track for how many years in comparison? I have been at the track and watched Grattan be repaved at least two times over the years and they hired the big time asphalt companies to do it. But in regards to the sealer and beers that's a different thing. I firmly believe the ground underneath is the problem Eddie. And also the fact that there isn't big time money behind Grattan hurts them too.

ekraft84 likes this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

I've been to all of the West coast tracks (except Chuckwalla) and most don't allow racing in the rain or maybe the AFM won't do it? WTF? Laguna is a known low grip track but they race in the rain? Thunder hill a great track with plenty of grip but the AFM won't race in the rain there?

18. condon66

condon66 Member well known

That's like saying there aren't as many Bison as there used to be because there are less of them. Anything useful you can add?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not the tracks choice. None of the ones we run out their prohibit it nor are any of them an issue in the wet.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

His comment was in response to other "reasons" for a decline in racing that while they do have a part in it aren't the main reason. Not sure what other things he should be adding.