1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nelson Ledges 6/23-24/01

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by Greg Gabis, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

This race weekend was going to be a little bit different than most of my weekends. Normally,
    it's just me and my crew, but this weekend we were giving Todd "tattoo guy" a lift. We looked
    cool with his '01 GSXR on the trailer!

We got to the track Friday night and setup camp. Todd went to find a phone and found Shane
    Williams instead. Well, being as we all knew each other (Shane is my cousin, too) and we
    seemed to be the only folks up from Cincy, we figured we'd pit together to help each other

out.

Saturday started wet. It had rained Friday night and we were a bit disappointed because we
    were foolishly expecting nice weather. The paddock was practically empty and registration
    and tech went very quickly. I guess there are some good points about everyone hating Nelson!
    Fortunately, the track was pretty dry by the time we started and I got down to the business
    of getting used to the SRX at Nelson. I had done a few races on my GS already this year so I
    knew the track pretty well, I just needed to adjust my reference points to work with the
    SRX.

The only races were the Solo 20's. I checked out the competition on the grid and saw it was
    mostly SV's. I'm down about 10 horses to the SV's and I'm still not good enough to make up
    the difference in the tight stuff, so I figured it was good race pace practice for my sprints
    on Sunday. The race went well for me and I made some improvements. I can finally go wide
    open through the kink!

Sunday we were able to sleep in. Registering and getting through tech on Saturday definitely
    has its advantages. Again, it had rained overnight. With the track still wet, I skipped the
    first practice session. The second practice session went OK. My laps were a little slower as
    I blew the cobwebs out and got the "feel" for the day. The next practice session, I got up
    to my race pace pretty quick so I came in about halfway through. I was ready to race!

My first race was LW Twins. I was used to getting my butt kicked last year on my GS and I
    was hoping for a little better result with my SRX. I blew the start by pulling a little
    wheelie, and not getting back on the ground and on the gas quick enough. After that I
    figured I better set to getting around Kent on his Hawk in front of me. I had motor and
    track knowledge on my side and would run up on him in a few spots and I mad some bad choices
    on where to try to pass and just couldn't make it happen. Finally, I used my higher entry
    speed into the carousel to help my drive and motored him out of the carousel on the outside.
    I kept doing my laps confident that I had him beat. I saw the white flag and knew I just had
    to bring it home. Well, I backed off the throttle in the kink and Kent didn't! He came by me
    on the outside in T12. It screwed up his line and drive out of T13, but my line would give
    me better drive. It was a drag race for not last to the finish line and Kent won by just a
    few inches. Our finishing positions didn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but we
    had a great time racing each other.

Second race was D-Superbike. More SV's and now some FZR's, ugh! Well, if I thought my first
    start was bad, this was downright terrible. My right foot peg folded up when I lifted my foot
    up at the start. The whole field blew by me while I tried to kick it back down. I was last
    into T1 but I put my head down and started making up some time. I got around a few guys and
    was closing the gap on Kent and his Hawk. A few laps past halfway I came out of the carousel
    and saw Kent only half way down the backstretch. I knew I could catch him. I was pinning it
    through the kink and getting through T12 and T13 pretty good. I was driving harder out of
    T13 each lap. But, I got a little greedy on one lap and with he bike leaned over so far, I
    lost the rear trying to get on the gas. Next thing I know, I'm looking at my number plate so
    I decided to let go. I slid to the edge of the track and crawled out of the way. The bike
    ended up stopped on the track, so the red flag came out to pick up the pieces. I was OK and
    the bike only had a brake lever.

My adopted crew of Todd and Shane gave the bike the once over and slapped a new brake lever
    on for me and I was good to go.

Last race was Clubman. I was just going out to do my laps and make sure the bike was OK. I
    got a good reaction on the start, but let the pack in front of me just in case the bike was
    hiding something. I followed a guy for the first lap and was comfortable with the bike so I
    went around him and started wicking it back up. I got around another guy about halfway
    through and put it on cruise control and finished the race.

After all the racing, Shane went to pick up his trophy for his win in 125GP (good job Shane)
    and came back with my 3rd place plaque for Clubman. I was pretty stoked to get wood even
    after my low-side.

Thanks to my wife and father-in-law for all of their support. Without them I couldn't do this.
    Thanks to Todd and Shane for helping me out and getting my bike ready to go. Thanks to WERA for
    putting on a good show every weekend and big thanks to the corner workers. Without the corner
    workers standing out there all day and picking us up from our silly mistakes, we wouldn't be
    able to have so much fun.

Greg Gabis
    #223 Novice.

2. Bruce Brown

Bruce Brown Well-Known Member

Hey Greg,

How'd you like racing the thumper versus the GS?

Congrats on your 3rd place in Clubman!

I think me and another Skorpion racer are going to enter the 200 mile Team Challenge at VIR in August with that other club. If that goes well we'll probably enter the TC at Roebling in September. Thanks again answering all our endurance questions on the GS.

Bruce

3. Hubbard

Hubbard Puff... Puff... Give...

He-he-he

You said "Wood".

He-he

4. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

The SRX turns better, stops better, and has more power. I was turning 1:27's last time at Nelson on the GS. I'm now down to 1:22's
    on the SRX. I'd say half of that is power alone, the other half is cuz I'm learning.

(For reference purposes, Doug Duane won his C-Superstock? race doing 1:10's this weekend)

But the GS is easier to ride.

Thanks for the props, homey!

Good luck on the 200 miler. Lemme know how it works out. I think you'll have a blast.

5. Pam_G

Pam_G Banned

He-he-he
    You said "Wood".

He-he

Uh, huh, huh, I was thinking the same thing...huh, huh

6. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the "club" Greg! [​IMG]

7. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Hey, I had to make the SRX match the GS! [​IMG]

8. wera176

As Mrs. Gabis said, now it has character! [​IMG]

9. AJ_371

AJ_371 Tom Thumb!!

There was a few of us Cincinnatians up there this weekend....the Ellis racing trailer had 5 of us(#'200,202,205,369, AND 371)...Telly Steimel#123 Novive (PN at that) took 2 wins and a 4th... I like Nelsons,even though it is rough on you and the bike, and the mosquito breeding grounds doudle as a barrier(the lovely tire wall ten feet off the track). Just let the bike eat up the bumps and stay on the gas, then again, I am the moron that wrecked on the warm-up lap trying to hurry back to the pits as my bike was sputtering for lack of fuel. Got it on bike cam if anyone wants to see. Email me.

AJ
    #371 now changed to 751(how'd that happen?)

10. wera176

Yep, that's pretty much how Greg and I feel about Nelson. Although due to equipment problems [​IMG] I haven't made it to Nelsonyet this year...

What part of Cincy are you guys all from? When I started last year, I didn't knew but a few racers from Cincy, but I keep finding out there are more...

11. AJ_371

AJ_371 Tom Thumb!!

All of us pretty much live up in the Forest Park area...we have ridden with Muskopf and his cronies, but didn't really get along too well with that crew...wish Marquez was still racing, tho..he's pretty cool. This is the first year for most of us...the Ellis's raced all last year, I got my license a while back but never raced. Chris Ellis is the guy that got whacked in the back of the head on turn 10 at RA GNFs. We usually ride East Miami River Road, Old Colrain and Highway 10 and 22 to Falmouth, KY.

12. wera176

Wow, you guys live right up the road from me! I live not too far from Triple Creek park and Lake Gloria, so I have riden all the roads you mentioned (alot). May even have seen you guys in that area... (Red RF600, one of about 2 in the area) I know Muskof and I know who Marquez is. You guys probably are famaliar with Pro Stock then...

13. AJ_371

AJ_371 Tom Thumb!!

You heading to Gingerman this weekend? I have heard of Pro-Stock...but have never checked them out. My mechanic has a broken leg...so I considered taking my bike to them, but I am going to just make due until he is better. If you guys are up there...check us out.(200,2020,205,469, and 751)Ellis Racing trailer.

AJ

14. wera176