1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NELLIS AFB anybody?

Discussion in 'General' started by jrsamples, Dec 9, 2020.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I'm hearing that there's a lot of boots there today.

Me: Something I've never seen before, 4 flights of apache, ~ 10 per flight, heading west. Kinda weird.

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Headed to Cal to enforce the quarantine.

3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I don’t know about what’s going on today, but I can tell you how to get marked DNF (do not fly) leaving that base|

You’re the last jet to take off on 21R for a 10-ship cross country goat rope, so you make a 5.9G left turn (gotta be careful not to over-G the drop tanks) right after wheels up between the runway and the golf course. You think it’s smart, making it easier for ATC to get everyone back together for the flight East without running into whatever else is in the air.

But the wing commander happened to be playing golf right then ... and thought you were showboating.

Chris, CharlieY, Shenanigans and 4 others like this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

:crackup:

5. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Some youtube vids coming across my feed have said very unusually high military aircraft activity. No idea whats goin on myself

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

7. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

When I was in the Air Force in Clovis, NM, there were annual war games training at Nellis. They called it Red Flag. They’d do it every year, but I don’t remember what time of year it occurred. That was 76-80. Damn I’m old.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Red Flag was mid-summer timeframe.

9. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Red Flag exercises are run a couple of times per annum, though, the virus may have put paid to that of late.

10. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Ft. Irwin NTC

11. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Sounds like Red Flag.

I was talking about Nellis yesterday.....B52, and how the bombs dropping never stopped!!!....that thing is the energizer bunny of bombing!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've seen all sorts of things at Nellis when we're at Vegas that could make you think a war is going on. Kind of cool really :D

13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

As a kid, I used to watch the B52's fly overhead from Minot while I was working with my Uncles on the farm. That's an awesome aircraft.