1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need the beebs knowledge

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Jun 19, 2019.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I just picked up a 1982 SX400 that was started to be turned into a street tracker. I am currently replacing all the wheel bearings and head bearings, brakes are next. When it comes to brakes, does anyone know if there is an oversized rotor that will work on this bike? I have no issue making an adapter to move the caliper, but I am not sure what rotor will work. Anyone here have any knowledge about these cool old bikes?

$_59.jpg

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I don’t see why you couldn’t just machine a spacer ring to whatever thickness you need to mount whatever rotor you want to use. People like Gordy Roth of Gordy’s Good Works specialize in that kind of stuff.

3. backcountryme

Yeah, I was just wondering if anyone knew of one that would just bolt on. I wanna be just a bit lazy on this one. Ha.

ducnut likes this.
  4. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

When I read the first sentence, I was wondering what an SX400 was. Then I saw the picture.

Isn't that an Yamaha XS 400?

5. backcountryme

Oops, Yeah. I must have had a dyslexic moment typing there. I didn't even notice it.

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Aside from the color, that seat/tail section looks good.

What do you have for a taillight? IIRC, the XS 400 taillight was hideous.

7. backcountryme

I have an LED tail and turn signal that just got here today. And some bar end mirrors. I am repainting it, but it will be yellow and black in the Yamaha racing colors like Kenny Roberts TZ750 flat track bike.

scottn, motion and ducnut like this.
  8. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I'm not sure if it's the same but with my SR500 there are kits that makes a bolt on adapter to use the stock Ducati Brembo caliper from the 748 era and uses a spacer for the rotor.

backcountryme likes this.
  9. backcountryme

Not sure, I’ll look into it. Thanks.

10. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

It should be but if by chance it isn't then you still have options. The Ducati 320mm rotor along with a "blue dot" late model Yamaha caliper is a common upgrade. That would not be legal for vintage racing though. If you want to stay legal it is easy to adapt a Lockhead style caliper like the Brembo P108 which is a drastic improvement over stock. Only drawback is the rotor weight vs. something more modern. The XS400 is the same as the RD400F/Daytona in this regard, 35mm forks, I think 112mm caliper mount spacing, 15mm axle. I actually have a couple extra brackets for mounting the P108 caliper to these bikes if you were interested although they certainly aren't difficult to make.

11. backcountryme

This isn’t going to be a race bike. Just a street toy. I just like the look of an oversized rotor.

12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

The Seca 550 rotor might bolt onto that wheel. I have one if you need the bolt pattern measurements.

backcountryme likes this.