1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some rules help...

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay, have a guy with an 82 Katana looking to race. Personally I think it's fine in V5 but looking through the rules and the specific bikes it likes the GS1000 but not the GSX1000 or 1100 (not 100% sure which it is, working on that).

Any reason it should not be a V5 bike? I know the 4 valves per cylinder displacement being 1025 would disallow the 1100 but seems as if it would allow the 1000. Even so should I keep the 1100 out since it's not like it made a ton more power,

2. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Look at the AHRMA rules for an example. They're fair and make sense. (Sarcasm)

3. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

i do 4 , 6lw and at times 5. i would have no problem racing against him/her, if someone was to bitch i would point out the lack of bikes in vintage . $$$ , plus the 1100 katana is badass and should get a gimme for whatever reason.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

What's the rule on overbores? Would that help with perspective?

5. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

82 katana is 1000cc to be AMA legal,83 katana has the 1100 motor.

6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Seems like it fits the V5 rules: pre-1983, 4 cylinder to 1025 cc. It is a twin shock bike. It is not specifically excluded. Bring it. If something later needs to be tweaked or adjusted, do it then, as appropriate.

Cheers,

dave

7. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

As Mr. McKinney pointed out, the 1983 Katana is a completely different bike: 1100 cc engine; monoshock, etc.

Cheers,

Dave

8. Jeff McKinney

No monoshock,it's a 82 Katana same bore,different paint and a regular gs1100 66mm stroke crank.

9. Jeff McKinney

You're thinking GS1150,1st big bore monoshock Zook.

10. Jeff McKinney

.....and no horse in this fight,but really,cb1100f,gs1100 etc should be allowed.Going off memory,V5 is either 1200cc or unlimited 2 valve?

With that in mind,a 4 valve 1100 won't be a runaway.

11. Jeff McKinney

.......and let up to 680cc in V4 :)

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a currently 1015cc 82 Katana 1k.

13. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

V5.

Cheers,

Dave

cyclocrossfool likes this.