1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need knowledgeable person to help fix carb/driveability problem 86GS550es

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by corvette95, Jan 14, 2018.

1. corvette95

corvette95 Well-Known Member

I have a low mileage mint stock 86 Suzuki GS550es with the dual Mikuni Two 2 barrel set up. Have had multiple shops and dealers charge me to fix it and it comes back the same way. I need a person familiar with this bikes set up and willing to help between Huntsville and Birmingham Alabama.
    Chris
    [email protected]

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Rich Graver is the only person I’d trust to do that, but we live in Ohio. Perhaps a better description of what the problem is would help. Lots of knowledge running around here who could probably help with more information.

3. corvette95

Thanks. Bike will only start at full choke- hot or old, popping out exhaust, dies at idle, feels like its running on 3 cylinders most of the time. fouls plugs (black)

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Sounds like who ever's looked at the carbs so far isn't going into them deep enough. Need to be completely stripped and run in a ultrasonic cleaner for a couple hours. Not idling means the pilot circuit is plugged.

Killswitch likes this.
  5. corvette95

I don't know, but three different shops/dealers? Thinking about trying it myself

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

If you're mechanical at all go ahead, nothing to be scared of. Make some notes as you go if you need to. Go to Ronnie's or any other site that has the micro fishe online, that will show you where everything goes. And you can get help on here.

7. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Aren't those the goofy carbs with one float bowl for two venturis? EDIT: Crap, should have read your original posting a little more. o_O

8. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Have you tried changing the air filter?

9. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

30+ years old = dead diaphragms.

cajun636 likes this.
  10. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

I hear @cajun636 is REALLY good with carbs...

cajun636 likes this.
  11. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

ahrma_581Well-Known Member
    New
    30+ years old = dead diaphragms.

Look to see if the diaphragms have any holes or rips !