1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help disassbling a KTM 990 engine

Discussion in 'General' started by HoyaXC07, Jun 26, 2018.

1. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

I've got a bad head gasket in my Super Duke 990 and need to replace it. I've got the engine out and the rear valve cover off. After the timing chain tensioner is removed the manual says to remove the timing chain cylinder. According to the manual the bearing should come right out but mine looks different and won't budge. Any idea how to get this out? I've tired a long bolt with an impact at the end to smack it out but no dice. If I damage the threads I'd be seriously jammed up.

2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

The tensioner is hydraulic. Grab it softly with a set of plyers and pull it straight out.

Take a pic. Been a min since I’ve had one of those apart but remember it being hydraulic.

3. HoyaXC07

The cam chain tensioner came out real easy, this is the gear the chain turns between the cams.

4. HoyaXC07

5. HoyaXC07

6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Gotta pull that bolt all the way out. It’s a weird looking bolt. That bolt should run through the gear.

7. HoyaXC07

That bolt just threads into the bearing. I think I'll have to get a puller and press that joker out. What a PITA.

8. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Didn’t know KTM had assbling

Steady T likes this.
  9. HoyaXC07

Well f me. Just figured bit out. Just tap the back of gear and it pops out. I'm an idiot. I need a beer.

10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]