1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Navy Destroyer Collision

Discussion in 'General' started by zippytech, Jun 19, 2017.

1. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Like anything else, it depends on the situation. At best he is now 'retired'...
    He will be the Authority Having Juridstiction (AHJ), but there could have been someone derelict in their duty, or they could have had an equipment malfunction that was not recognized, or a lack of experience to adequately assess the situation, or even misinterpretation/lack of adhearence to standing orders. Many possible scenarios.
    Some of the senior folks that were on the bridge/CIC will suffer career limiting, or ending damage, for not recognizing the problem before it became an accident.
    Reports are that the C.O. was hurt bad enough that they air lifted him out. The point of impact was his stateroom.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  2. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

4. EngineNoO9

Friend who is on the ground says pictures don't convey the level of damage. The article I linked seemed to confirm hull twisting issues which could will most likely lead to a shorter service life. The ship is too expensive to scrap right now still.

5. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

In the comments the question is brought up regarding if that patch was put on the hull by divers under water or in dry dock. I'm thinking that making the patch plates conform so perfectly and cutting the irregular shape in those beams would be impossible underwater but I am no expert.

6. EngineNoO9

Yes that was done by divers. Temp patch so they stopped having to pump water out nonstop. Would've allowed some access to the inside spaces affected to do some damage assessment.

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

That must be quite the dive team.

8. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Good article, GREAT pics, thanx.

Man, I sure woulda liked to have seen what it looked like before that patch.

That is a good patch job by the divers....they probably LOVED doing that!

Keep it coming #09!

9. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Friend of mine is an underwater welder that is based out of Portsmouth, NH. He is not military but is often working on military ships wherever they need him. He's an absolute beast of a human - kind of has the Thor look about him. Some of the stories he's told me about his work are pretty crazy. Very intelligent guy but I think you need a screw loose to do that stuff.

RIP to the Sailors involved.

10. CharlieY

11. EngineNoO9

I hadn't paid much attention to this lately. Holy cow! That's a heck of a trip it's gonna have to take.

12. CharlieY

Long ass way.

Gotta be keel damage.

13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Curious, any insider information on the ship's captain and career plans?

14. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Captain will be bye bye. Nice career, see ya later. Doesn't matter if he was on duty or not. Ship is his ultimate responsibility. Might be some other's as well.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Costa Cruise Lines would be a good fit

[​IMG]

renegade17 likes this.
  16. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

17. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Years worth of work will be needed to rectify those issues. The attached story about the Shiloh is even more astounding.