1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Navy Destroyer Collision

Discussion in 'General' started by zippytech, Jun 19, 2017.

1. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

I'm sure you know more about this than I do , but every one of my naval buddies state that AIS is frequently turned off during parts of missions. In addition to that , every article on this collision has agreed with that statement. I do understand its purpose in heavy traffic lanes, but if it were on , would we have had this collision?

2. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I would say it's more likely AIS was on and malformed track data was injected into the network. Hacking AIS remotely is trivial to execute with potentially disastrous consequences for vessels actively under auto pilot. The link to the public brief I posted gives you instructions on everything you need to achieve those objectives. By the way, that link is to a briefing that was given at the Black Hat Asia conference in 2013.

You are correct regarding AIS while in mission OPSEC. However, that is really only useful for beyond line of sight surveillance. A surface naval vessel can't hide from directed RF energy.

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Just a thought.

Now my boat had 1000 times less electronics than this ship. I used to "run dark" just because we were bored and it was fun as shit to do.

Picture this...it's a beautiful, pitch black July night. I'd go about 50 miles out into the Atlantic and then tell the Machinist Mate to shut off every single light on the boat. And then just cruise for hours. It was amazing. We could just see the bare glow of Key West and Miami. Other than that, total blackness. Milky Way was thick and rich. Towards the end of July you could catch the meteor shower (Pliedes?). 30-40 an hour. And you taxpayers paid for this!

I have no reason to believe this ship did this or even could. But sometimes after so long at sea you get bored. Maybe they were dark?

kangasj likes this.
  4. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I hope they weren't dark in a busy shipping lane. That's beyond full retard

5. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Lots of good info in this thread.....Kelly, Alex, Waterboy, Lazy......I have no info on the why yet. Some silly BS in here too. Lack of respect for people who sacrificed their lives.

On why, what I'm reading here makes sense. I'm not hearing anything real different.

RIP Sailors.

Ex-HT, and current Principle Quality Analyst Welding and NDT for BAE Systems here, Charlie Young....one of those sorry-assed vintage guys. We have major yards with floater drydocks in San Diego, Hawiai (cant even spell it, don't care, I'm not sure what we have there), Norfolk, and Mayport Fl....I work at Mayport.

Just scuttlebutt I'm hearing.....nothing I can confirm yet.

First of all, I hear the bulbous bow of the freighter did a lot of damage under the waterline. Speculation, but it sounds right.

I cant say ALL, but some of the deaths were shut ins....tears me up....shut em in to save the ship. RIP SAILORS.....frikkin tough shit, closing that hatch, hearin the screams, knowing nothing you can do....fack.

Yakuska has a drydock, but not sure they can do the job. I'm hearing its a "build yard" job, which I think is Bath Iron Works.

We'll see how this goes.

Running dark is a spiritual experience....watching the phosphor wave roll off the bow, the sky is unbelievable....no hue from ANY city for me. Its an amazing world.

We have one of the same ships in drydock right now here in Mayport / Jacksonville, I was under her today.....she's beef.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    rd400racer likes this.
  6. CharlieY

Same class of ship, yesterday....got all the controllable pitch props and hubs off.....shafts comin out.....rudders and stock are next.

We x-rayd the sonar dome last week

IMG_0609.JPG

7. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

The Cole was repaired in Pascagoula, MS. Yoko should be capable of the repairs. It'll cost a fortune to get it back to somewhere on the East coast. Next best would be Hawaii if they had to move it to another location.

8. CharlieY

I'm unsure of our (BAE) capabilities in Hi.......like I said, I'm hearing build yard, that usually means Keel....Cole was bad, but mostly above the waterline.

San Diego has a brand new floater, just delivered this year....built in China.

Nothing is defined yet.....Yes, it would cost a lot to get it to the build yard.....Right now Yakuska is the best bet, but not defined yet.

9. EngineNoO9

Almost any dry dock has the capabilities. Its the personel that are key. Luckily they're mobile.

The Cole was a unique circumstance based on the time period and the Navy wanting better control over the ship. Plus there aren't any good options near where the ship was hit.

10. CharlieY

The drydock needs to have the water depth to take the destroyer.....destroyers need around 54' water depth of the dock....essentially the dock needs to sink that far. Not all will go that deep.

We have 3 in florida, only one will take a destroyer. A rail type drydock usually wont handle a destroyer, We have those too.

You are correct that not many crews can handle the job. That's why I think I'm hearing build yard.

I'm not writing anything off.....we'll see where this ends up.

11. EngineNoO9

Yoko, Hawaii, Seattle, Mayport, Norfolk, and San Diego all do dry dock for DDG's in regularly scheduled availabilities at various yards. Obviously the builders in MS and Maine can too but don't typically do anything but the initial builds.

There's more that can easily do it but typically do work on other class ships. So the dry dock is not the issue. That's the easy part.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  12. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Wow, I had no idea. Why so much....draft really that deep?...OK, I looked. Draft is a little over 30' for an Arleigh Burke class. So, why so deep?

13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

What's the toy jeep for?

14. CharlieY

I don't do the docking plans, but there needs to be room for Keel blocks, etc, and I'd imagine some margin of safety after the stability calcs are done. The Navy sets the depth required, and we have to prove we can get there before they bring the ship. We sink the dock ahead of time, and they say yea or nea....If we need to dredge, we do, its all part of the deal. I think another part of it is they want the ship "In" the dock, not riding high.....Also, some room is needed to pull the shafting out the bottom.

If there is keel damage, a normal docking plan is out the window.

Sure, OK man.....bid it.....I'm guessing you work at a drydock?....this wont be a normal DDG avail.

Umm....the manlifts???

kangasj likes this.
  15. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Charlie are those raw water intake openings on the rudder root-fin thingies? The black "toy Jeep" appears to be a small hand drawn wagon of some sort similar to a radio flyer with off road tires. Impressive photograph.

V5 Racer likes this.
  16. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Even if the ship draws 30', you still need clearance for the dock itself as well as a margin for error and unknowns, I would assume. I would hazard that the dry dock itself is 15' deep from the working deck to the outer hull, plus keel blocking and general floating clearance.

Charlie, that pic is crazy. When I first scrolled, it looked like any typical 40'-75' boat that I worked on. Until I saw the cherry pickers. And then the personnel. And I didn't even notice the kid's jeep toy (directly below the prop shaft, between the two pickers; black with orange wheels).

And shut-ins. RIP. I can't even begin to imagine.

17. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

I bet those dudes in the picture know how to get a stuck countershaft nut off.

Gino230 and V5 Racer like this.
  18. EngineNoO9

I work for NSWC (Civilian). Don't care about the bid. I do shipboard installs and am very familiar with the capabilities of various yards. I'm curious to see where they do this at but don't sell yourself short that only 1-2 places in the world are capable.

My coworker is headed out to Yoko in a week for an install. He'll likely get more of a heads up what the plan is just by being in proximity.

Side note - We completed an install onboard the ship you're working on now but while it was still at Mayport.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You mean the wagon with the orange wheels?

20. joec

joec brace yourself

.....if any of them would actually get to work!