1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Navy Destroyer Collision

Discussion in 'General' started by zippytech, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

A Navy destroyer didn't have enough radars/sonars/whatever else they have to detect a frugging freight ship approaching? Or not enough engine power to maneuver out of the way?

My guess is cocky sailors making bad choices.

By the way, who has the right away in this situation? Commercial vessels have right away compared to smaller civilian crafts, but who has to yield between those two? Damage is on starboard side, and in my limited knowledge is a sign that the destroyer was in the wrong. Unless commercial ships are obligated to yeild to Navy vessels.

Either way, rip sailors lost.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I was under impression it is the opposite. Looking at port side on another vessel is when you have to yield. At least thats what I would do on lake Lanier :)

3. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I was sailing on a 32 foot Catalina near Panama City not long ago. We got within maybe 10 miles of a small Navy vessel and we were instantly signaled to keep within a few nautical mile radius of its proximity. Something about test firing area.

They saw us, a small sailboat, miles and miles away. We didnt have any beacons, nor we had to. We certainly complied. Point is that I dont see how a fucking barge can sneak up and torpedo a Navy destroyer. Unless there are some completely incompetent morons at the controls. Or perhaps horrible luck.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This was in the link Ducati posted above. Interesting what it did.

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Test fire areas are strictly regulated. I can remember when we had to wait for hours in one spot while they cleared a very large area and we were only firing .50 cals.

As far as what large ships full of electronics can see...we used to play games with the big Exxon tankers that came through the Straights of Florida. We were bored shitless on some meaningless patrol so I'd get our 41' as close to the stern of the tanker as I could. A lot of times we'd see a crew member wave at us from way up above and that was about it. Except this one time in the dead of night when we pulled this and the tanker hit us with a searchlight that about blew us out of the water. We just gave them the finger and went about our way because, well, we were the law:D

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

can a big boat be digitally hijacked?

7. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I would suspect that situation awareness on a big cargo ship is much less then a Navy destroyer. I would guess a destroyer has a significant speed and maneuverability advantage.

Very curious who has a right away between those? Any vessel I will ever get to helm will have to yield to either of the above, so I never looked up who had the right of way between those two. If no one had a right away because of type, I am guessing cargo ship had a right of way if it hit starboard side of the destroyer. But I am far from expert at maritime law.

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I wonder just how congested it is? Like the lake on a July Sunday afternoon?

9. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Sure, didn't you ever see the movie Hackers?;)

10. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

deepsxepa and Phl218 like this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

no :D

12. rd400racer

This is a screenshot of that area at any given moment. Now add in the factor that it was a black, moonless night. And idiots onboard each vessel.

[​IMG]

I dabble on the Marine Traffic website almost everyday. It's been years since I've been out to sea but like the old saying goes, "you can take the sailor away from the sea, but you'll never take the sea out of a sailor!" http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-52.4/centery:23.2/zoom:6

13. TZ250lover

TZ250lover Well-Known Member

The destroyer was hit on the starboard side. That would indicate the container ship had the right of way and the destroyer should have yielded

14. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

And if I'm not mistaken , AIS is turned off most of the time on naval ships , for obvious reasons.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Y'all really looking for vacations with all the political stuff or just not paying attention to where you are?

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  16. rd400racer

Yep. We had an old saying, "stay on the green and you'll always be clean" Goofy, but it worked. Those light are red and green for a reason.

17. rd400racer

Are you sure you're in the correct thread Sean? I haven't read a single political thing on either page.

speedluvn likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good for you, I have or I wouldn't have said anything ;) Conspiracy theories are well into the political realm....

19. rd400racer

Fair enough. It was so ludicrous that I took it as a joke. Then again, I guess that's what a conspiracy is.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?