1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name this helmet. And then make sure you don't buy it.

Discussion in 'General' started by L8 Braker, Apr 15, 2017.

1. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

This belongs to a young man who lost control of his motorcycle and his head hit a tree, or post. He doesn't remember. I looked inside for any identifying tags and found nothing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Forgive me for intruding, but if the young man is alive to not remember what he hit, and a helmet isn't supposed to be reused after a crash, isn't breakage perfectly fine given a hard enough hit? (vehicle dynamics weren't mentioned in your post, but I assume he wasn't going 5 MPH.)

Actually, as I understand it, the energy required to actually BREAK something is energy dissipated from the impact.

3. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

4. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

I would think that it should stay intact. Otherwise you introduce the possibility of foreign objects entering post impact and causing more damage. Worse case would be the helmet breaking apart directly after impact, and the rider striking something else.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

More details on the crash? How fast was he going? Etc.

That could be the greatest helmet EVER depending on the crash.

V5 Racer and notbostrom like this.
  6. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

He said he saw 39mph right before he went down.

7. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Was he on the red limiter?

cav115, Phl218 and notbostrom like this.
  8. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Don't buy it???

I'd endorse the hell out of that helmet!! Dude hits a tree at 40mph and is alive????? I'd say that helmet did its job very freaking well and should be e-mailing the manufact. with a giant Thank You followed by hookers and blow for everyone.

Edit: Holy crap, didn't even see the part about it being $40....the just reiterates my point. He cheaped out on the most important piece of equipment, is alive after an impact.....again, he needs to be endorsing that helmet.

Also agree with the post below me.....are we really concerned with a $40 helmet here???

9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

So we are discussing the merits of a 40 dollar helmet.. oh shit.. I gotta go make some popcorn

10. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Somebody figured out the hidden message :D

crusty9r and notbostrom like this.
  11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Maybe the other 500 was supposed to go for ridding lessons?

Blackbeener and crusty9r like this.
  12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I definitely wouldnt spell SAFETY with bilt. :D Looks like the dude saved a buncha money on his helmet

13. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

$40 dollar helmet is better than no helmet. I spent almost a week in the ICU after a crash that destroyed a $800 Arai... would I have spent no time with an HJC? Would I be dead in a Bell? 2 weeks in a Shoei? No one knows, every crash is different. At least he had something on.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My first track crash put a 7" crack up the back of my lid. It died, so I didn't have to.

skidooboy, beac83 and dsmitty37 like this.
  15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I knew there was some explanation.

16. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I always find it funny when price is the determining factor in the safety of a helmet.(not the topic of the OP)

Let's look at Arai. Lowest retail on is around $550 I think with the CorsairX around $950. Both pass with flying colors the exact same safety test. Is the X a safer helmet because it cost almost double? No.

So, why all the extra money? Because plush lazy boy liners, safety release check pads, better air flow , high speed buffering gizmos. These are what makes higher end helmets cost more. Nothing to do with the safety of the helmet.

sdiver and dtalbott like this.
  17. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Seen worse. It does have DOT certification, which is good. It would be nice to see a SNELL cert also, but I doubt a $40 helmet is even submitted for their testing.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True but plastic like that isn't anywhere near as efficient at dissipating it as the composites used in good helmets. There's every likelihood he would remember it and be fine in a real helmet.

Pixelator likes this.
  19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Had friend hit a deer while wearing a Shoei. His helmet was even worse but his head was OK. I assume the pavement did the damage, he didn't remember. He obviously survived so it was a win. So is this.

pickled egg likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Having seen thousands of helmets used and abused and the riders afterwards - I totally disagree. Passing a baseline test is great, how it passes that test matters though when you're talking about your head.

The cheap helmets just don't work as well. No matter who is making the excuses for them I see more concussions and hurt riders with cheap helmets. I can't ban them because there is no test as you say that can measure the difference but I know there is one and I would if I could...

As always those who want to get free helmets from the newest players on the market will argue. Those who want to be cool by going against the expensive helmets will argue. Those who are just plain cheap will argue. But keep in mind something - I have a lot of experience in this area, more than any rider out there, I can get free cheap helmets, I spend my money on Arais and the new HJCs and I buy Evelyne Shoeis. It's not for the graphics, it's not for the racing comfort as it makes them kind of annoying street helmets.