1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Teknic suit failed me

Discussion in 'General' started by dawtips, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Marc Camp

Marc Camp Well-Known Member

think teknic is bad crash in a set of moto gp,s.

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

fixed it for ya:D

3. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I have gone down 3 times in my Violator, and haven't had a seam blow yet. I wore through the shoulder after a highside st jennings, but the straps from my back protector saved me there. My most recent was a low side at Roebling coming out of T7 around 90-95. All it did was scuff it up.

4. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

Wow, shitty deal, do I see a lawsuit, :up:

I loved the original Joe Rocket leathers, I crashed on them too many times too count and they never failed, around 97, bought another set in 2002 ish and not as good but didn't come apart like that, even hitting the ground at a 150 mph and sliding for 50 feet, :(. I have some Tiachi ones now, guess one day, I might find out how they crash.

5. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

EAD

6. lfg929

lfg929 Well-Known Member

I crashed my Teknic Violators more times than I care to remember and they did pretty well. From my own experience it seems the Violator is the bottom end of the reasonbly tough suits from Teknic, with the Speedstar being the best. Anything below the Violator and you are risking your skin...

BTW, my Teknic suit protected me but pretty much wore through every time I went down. I had a pretty good highside last year in my BB suit and it did much, much better than the Teknic suit would have. If you count any skin loss, or the amount of times a Teknic suit would have to be repaired after a crash, then it is really a better deal to just have BB make you a suit.

7. The Fixer

The Fixer Member

Friend of mine went down in a Teknic suit and blew a knee out so bad they were scraping asphalt from the wound. Ended up with a wicked blood infection. He's been trying to get Teknics to respond for months.

8. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

+1

There are so many variables to why a suit did or did not hold up.....

The biggest problem leading to failure on quality suits is fit. I see a lot of suits that are too big and this allows the leather to pinch/roll and tear.. I see it a lot in the legs

FWIW - Landing on your knees is an unusual crash dynamic.

9. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

heal up quick!

been there and done that . I know they hurt. have to agree with monte's last post too . on another note darethea and I see several suits with weakened inseams from the grip tape used on the tanks. they are blow outs waiting to happen so keep an eye on those inseams if you are using grip tape in those areas. well I'm going to get back to growing my whiskers. all the best. b bill and darethea

10. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

:stupid: (both Bill and Monte, Daretha's pretty smart. :D )

One other thing I see in the photos, it looks as if the stretch material is *not* Keprotec. Although there are other abrasion resistant fabrics used in suits, some are not, and that's a problem. Schoeller Keprotec is the only stretch aramid fabric that can stand up to the rigors of racing. We've replaced entire panels of inferior stretch fabric in suits.

As far as the tank grip issue, keep an eye out for wear, particularly in the accordion expansion panels and seams. The wear can cause failure of the suit. And ferchrissake, don't use skateboard grip tape, you'll be asking for trouble!

Heal up quick, and don't hold your breath waiting for a response from Teknic.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I have NEVER seen a perfect set of leathers that hold up in every type of crash. I've seen the crappiest brand sometimes hold up in impossibly brutal crashes and yet that same brand fall about in a 15 mph mini's lowside. I've also seen some very well respected brands fail.

I loved the last generation Teknics violators and speedsters. I'd recomend them to anyone and had two sets of the Violators. Great suit.

What am I saying? shit happens.

But you can prevent shit from happening to an extent by not cheaping out on your next suit. The Teknic suit you crashed in I wouldn't have recomended to even my worst frenemy.

12. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

Suit fit is important. We receive calls everyday from customers who have just received their new suit (many times their first) and have questions about the fit. Most begin the call with "I think I need to get a larger size....". We ask for a little more detail and find it is pulling on the boys when they stand up. We ask " How is it on the bike or in the riding position?". The answer is most often "The boys have more room when I am in the riding position." We explain that is how it should be as the garment is cut to be on the motorcycle in the riding position. Now imagine if you will this very same call going to a call center for another retailer and it gets answered by someone who knows nothing about suit fitment etc.... They will exchange it for a larger size suit as requested. Now it is likely to believe the rider may very well have a suit that will not fit well.

Now on to the suit. The Teknic Lightning (I am also assuming this to be the 2 piece suit) is a Sport Suit, not a Race Suit. For it's intended application of Sport Riding on the Street it is a good garment. Could you do a few track days in this suit? Sure you could, you will not have the same level of protection as you would in a Race Suit. The Lightning offers a more relaxed fit and is in my mind more "Light Duty" than a true race suit should be.

Hope you heal quickly for sure! From the pics the knee looks to be the worst of it. When you are ready to ride again I would suggest purchasing a proper Race Suit for an increased level of protection. There are plenty of Quality, Crash Proven Race Suits available for basically the same money paid for the Lightning 2 Piece.

Heal Fast,
    Van

13. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Listen to Brian. He knows what he is talking about.

14. Bad Dog

????????????

15. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Eat A Dick............Im just answering the ??????? No hate intended.

16. Bad Dog

Interesting? :rolleyes: :crackhead:

17. Hypnotiq

Hypnotiq Well-Known Member

Play nice Simon. :p

18. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Well-Known Member

I am guessing that DaveK said EAD because of the comment you made about a lawsuit.
    Coulda been worse, he could have said EABOAH
    eat a bag of assholes:p

19. dawtips

dawtips Active Member

I seriously did not expect this, but Teknic did e-mail me back.

20. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

Damn! Good to see them step up.:up: