1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Taxes Went Down!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by kangasj, Feb 1, 2018.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Property tax on my new baller house is $9k. Other house is $2k. I haven't yet confirmed if those figures get combined or not.

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Finally got to use what he learned in high school math class.

Slept through math class in high school.

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

When you keep your livestock in the house....perhaps.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No..they are paved with handouts and bullshit.

5. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

Ryan is a bozo....he actually tweeted how great it was for a waitress to get a $1.50 raise per paycheck because of the tax cut....idiot politician. Give me Trump over Ryan any day .

6. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I live about 30minutes outside Houston. 2200sqft on an acre. Property taxes are $3300, and that will be disputed.

I had this argument on the bookfaces with some never-trumpers who complained about that 10k cap and trump screwing over the middle class. These were people with multiple homes or $750k+ homes in the austin market where the average price is 400k

Sorry to inform you, if you have multiple homes and duplexes you rent out or have a home that's twice the markert price, you're wealthy and you're paying your "fair share" now. Apparently what these people meant was only those more wealthy than them need to pay their fair share. :rolleyes:

Steak Travis likes this.
  7. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I’ve found a lot of people my age have no idea what the real middle class and true poverty look like.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'm still waiting for someone to explain the rationale behind federal taxes being affected by taxes paid to other jurisdictions...

9. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

IIRC, there is a Fed deduction for state/sales taxes paid during the year.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Now let's read what I said...

What is the rationale behind doing that?

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I have had a few complaints from liberals making over $200K/year worrying about the home exemption(s). I "s" is for multiple homes.
    In true liberal fashion, I informed them that I had the right to take the extra home, since they were not in use. And, I showed the video of the Libertarian/Anarchist case. :)

12. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

oops, I thought it was an Capt Obvious question. Get a break from being taxed by all the other gobbermints like city, county, state, school district, water munis, etc.

13. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

I love it when someone asks the right question. It didn't bother those states as long as it helped them . Mo politics .

14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

This has been the big lie by the Coastal States. They pay the majority of taxes. No, they don't.
    They have been allowed to deduct in-State taxes from their Federal Value. So, they may not be contributing as much to the Fed, based on percent.
    Sample, same person living in no tax state pays more into the fed.

15. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I'm ready to have a frigging fit. It's because of my own impatience though. I figured that I had all the W2s, 1099s of all kinds so I filed my taxes using my old standby TurboTax. Woo Hoo! Getting back 3200 bucks. Oops, now another 1099R comes trickling in. It's a non taxable Distr. for my wife's IRA so it won't change the taxable amount except that now I have to file an amendment. The IRS 1040X forms are not available yet so I sit and wait.
    Just DAMN!

Rant over. Thanks for listening. :)

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Haven't gotten a check using the new tax rate yet, did get the taxes done today and accountant said we we will probably pay more in taxes next year.

17. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Sweet, you get to pay your fair share now!

pickled egg likes this.
  18. Newsshooter

So I wasn't paying my fair share before, how did you figure that out Einstein?

19. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I dunno.... Based on previous posts I figured you'd be the type of guy that says 'they' should pay their fair share, then complain that your taxes might go up.

20. Newsshooter

Nope, you'd be wrong, taxes won't go up much but they won't be going down. At best it looks like it will be a wash.
    Biggest difference is the elimination of deductions, rate isn't changing much. Wife is an ICU nurse, she won't be able to deduct uniforms, licensing, certifications and required continuing education to maintain her license and advanced certifications. Combine that with elimination of charitable donations, wife is very charitable, me not so much, and reductions or elimination in my deductions and the increase in the standard deduction won't cover it. Topping it off our house is paid off so we don't have that deduction either.