1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My son wants a kayak... let's talk kayaks today :D

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Dec 21, 2015.

1. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

The Boy said he wants a kayak. Spent a day at the end of the summer at a friend's lake house, and they had (stay with me here...) a kayak. One of those 2 peoples kyaks.

Background: he's 7. We do a lot of rv camping spring/summer/fall. Me: I'm older than he is, and have never owned a kayak. Haven't got a clue as to what to get.

Now, it's not for traversing the rapids of the Rio Grande, nor is it for trekking off for days on end... it'll be shore launched and a couple hour jaunt through whatever body of water we will be camping near. Dick's has some by Pelican, tandem for around $650. I've checked the List of Craig and they range from $100 for a shitty looking banana-peel type thing, to upwards of a grand. I don't want to spend a thousand bucks on something like this.
    Looking for suggestions for an easy to maneuver rig that a 7yr old and his dipshit father can tool around in and have fun.

Thanks for taking my call. I'll hang up and listen...

Phl218 likes this.
  2. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

You son wants "Dead"??? That is like one of deadliest hobbies in the world. Only crazy people do that S#$%.

3. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Well I'm hoping for the best Whit! I thought of a canoe but I think a kayak would be easier to transport when the camper is hooked up.

4. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

I don't see how a tandem kayak would be easier to haul than a canoe. Both are generally the same size, but the canoes weigh less.

Two kayaks are always better than one.

5. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I feel kayaks are safer than canoes... I got in a canoe backwards about 3 months ago and almost died in a foot of water. I think everyone thought they weren't sure what they saw, so no one laughed, but they should've. I did after I got over being mad about it.

6. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Kayaks for 7 year olds are few and far between, so your choices will be minimum, and they'll all be similar. Find someone who actually carries them in your area and let him pick out what he wants.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Now that's just next-level stupid. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the canoe was probably not the problem. I hope you had a solid excuse, like you were too drunk to safely operate a TV remote control. :D

8. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

Dicks has youth kayaks for ~$100. Get him one of those and get yourself a nice adult kayak. When he gets older, give him yours, and get yourself an even nicer kayak.

Kayaks for 2 suck, much better to have your own.

Phl218 and pjzocc like this.
  9. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Nope. I can't defend it... Went to canoe the Buffalo River. Arrived at shore, and proceeded to get in, not paying attention to the proximity of the seats to the ends of the boat (the back seat is like, 3 inches from the back, whereas the front is like 8-10", maybe? Enough for the front person to get their feet in correctly. Literally got in it backwards, because that's how it was left at the shore (with the back pointing away from shore, and the front anchored to the shore). The balance was all off. As soon as I took my 2nd foot off the ground, the whole thing rolled. LOL

You kinda had to see it... Aluminum/fiberglass canoe... Both ends, the seats were pushed as far to the ends as they could be. It wasn't like the older canoes I've been in where the seats are closer to the midpoint.

10. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

My kids and I kayak all the time. Usually fishing.

The first question is do you want a sit in on sit on top. For fishing and general recreation and getting in the water and back in the boat, I'd get a sit on top. The next thing you need to look at is speed vs. stability. The narrower and longer the boat, the faster it will be but tippier. For a kid, I'd suggest a ten foot sit on top. For you, I'd get a Hobie mirage drive. You'll never need to buy another kayak.

pjzocc likes this.
  11. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Definitely looking for stability over agility. I was thinking tandem as I wasn't sure how he'd handle a single on his own. That said, he'll probably adapt to it quicker than I will...

Not really looking to fish from, but that may evolve into it.

12. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

He'll get used to instability, narrower and faster is my preferred boat. Learn to paddle correctly as well using torsion rotation, and not just your arms, it will make you a better paddler and you won't tire as soon.

13. Dillonjohnson

Dillonjohnson Well-Known Member

I got an ascend fs10 at bass pro a few years back. Haven't used it much but I was surprised how stable it really was. It is a fishing kayak so It's relatively stable. I kayaked at a resort in Ohio a while back and their kayaks were shit for stability.

I can easily stand up in it and fish. I'd recommend it.

14. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

Go with the $150 Pelican. I just got 2 of them.

15. RoadRash49

RoadRash49 Well-Known Member

Umiak by Perception. About 8-1/2 feet long,maybe 19 lbs. My son started paddling one about age 4, great little boat. It's a sit inside, which is what I normally recommend . easier to paddle, lighter, the cockpit is large enough that your kid is not going to get rapped in it. Get a really good paddle, preferably carbon. He'll have a much easier time with it. All those plastic blade/aluminum shaft paddles are heavy and flex a lot

16. RoadRash49

RoadRash49 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I probably should have mentioned the Umiak was bought used, likely would have to be bought used today, don't think they're manufactured now. But it's a kid sized boat, not just a small one. And with the $ you save the good quality paddle and pfd are more affordable.

17. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

Until you are sure how he will handle it, tie a rope to the back of you kayak with a carabiner. If he gets tired you can then pull him to shore. This is what we have done with all kids we teach to kayak.

18. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Perception makes an entry level tandem sit on top that does a good job at being an all-around utility yak. I had one for years and recently sold it. I'd look into that.

pjzocc likes this.
  19. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Cabela's sells a 7-foot sit-on-top that's a great boat. I have had my girls kayaking since they were about 7. To start, I bought them the least expensive Pelican (two piece, red top/white hull) which saw a lot of service and abuse. I purchased the one at Cabelas this summer when one of the Pelicans started leaking. Overall, I think the one from Cabelas is tad bit better than the Pelican for the same price. Cabela's retail was $299, but they are on sale often. I think I paid $220. Spend some coin on a good PFD for your son, and have fun!

pjzocc likes this.
  20. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

If you like the sport, there are a lot of different types and styles to choose (touring, fishing, sit-in, sit-on). To start, I think the sit-on is a bit easier. Once you're on the water, you will figure out what you want in your next kayak. Good luck!