1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My RC30 is back in the game...4 year resto..

Discussion in 'General' started by boccarp, Sep 17, 2018.

1. boccarp

boccarp Well-Known Member

On Father's Day June 15th 2014 I was riding this RC30 back from breakfast with my buddies. A doctor who was texting crossed the double yellows 15 ft from me and hit me head on at 50 mph. I never had a chance to react. I flew like superman 70 ft into a telephone pole. Result was 6 broken vertebre, compound fractures of femur,tibia, and fibia(bone out!) of my left leg, broken right ankle (9 places), 12 fractured ribs, broken shoulder, internal injuries included ruptured spleen, damaged liver, punctured lung and a shit load of blood loss. I died once in the Medi VAC copter and once on the operating table. 12 units of blood and super skilled medical staff saved my life. Many days in the ICU and many months of rehab and I mended up pretty good. I'm fucking lucky.. The little gem of a bike RC30 didn't fare well either. While its heart was still good it too suffered severe limb and body damage. The forks were bent, the unobtainable HRC spec tank was crushed, HRC full system torn off, HRC sump cracked, HRC sub frame wasted and bodywork totally roasted. After many years of sourcing parts and making one off items the RC30 returns to the road just like the 6 million dollar man. Its stronger, faster and way better than the original. I had my machinist turn me up a new set of triple clamps with HRC engraving, 2014 CBR1000RR SP Ohlins forks and Brembo radial brakes and RSC 19 Brembo master cylinder , Ducati 5 spoke front Marchesini to match the rear (rare) HRC Marchesini, Ohlins rear shock and custom linkage to compensate for the 17inch rear wheel (stock is 18). The body work is the creation of my very best buddy Lance Johnson who painstakingly repaired the body work and hand pounded the tank back into perfection. He is truly a master craftsman. So here it is with just 1226 miles on it. A fully HRC kitted motor pushes it along with 146 hp to the rear wheel. It is motorcycling's equivalent to the the Mona Lisa.

BEFORE:[​IMG]

AFTER :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Damn, what a story and an incredible machine, congrats on recovering to both of ya.

3. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I'll start the bidding at Tree Fiddy!

cha0s#242 likes this.
  4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Glad you healed up good. I totally love your bike ! Sadly, all these awesome mods will kill resale value. I'm in the same boat with my NC30. It is modded to perfection and way better than when it came out of the factory, but purists don't care for performance and won't pay for go fast parts. Ignorants.

Sabre699 likes this.
  5. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Awesome that you lived and was repaired to ride another day.
    And sweet bike that deserves another chance to be ridden.
    Thanks for story and photos.
    Love the VFRS and RC30 bikes
    Steven

SuddenBraking and rocalotopus like this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Like!

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

All that and Broome ony notices the missing outlet cover.

Kelbor, R Acree, sharkattack and 5 others like this.
  8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

9. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Pete!!! That bike is absolutely gorgeous. Nice work with the rehabilitation (bike and human).

But come on man.....let's see the right side!!!

10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Looks bad ass, hope it rides just as nice!

11. 418

418 Expert #59

Purist don't care if there are mods but they need to be period correct mods. Having radial brake USD forks on a 30 year old bike is kinda meh in my book. Not my cup of tea.

Still a RC30 tho.

code3ryder likes this.
  12. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Blew the budget on the rebuild. GoFundMe being created for outlet cover.

13. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I think it's the 2 wheel equivalent of a Pro-Touring conversion. I dig it. And I'm thinking Pete doesn't give a rat's ass what it does to resale value.

14. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I've got boxes of em.. Boccarp can PM me his address and I'll gladly help a brother out - you know, since times are tight :)

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You need to sell me that title salvaged heap on the cheap.

I'm good with the mods. That's everything it needed any way.

dtalbott likes this.
  16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The anal retentive purists do care (you should see the members in RC and NC FB groups). I myself prefer period mods because I like racing them in Vintage, but can still appreciate the work do to this one.

17. joec

joec brace yourself

And the white wheels. Very very cool though. Im really happy it went back together.

18. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

I'd give a spare kidney for this in a heartbeat. Beautiful rebuild and screw the purists. lol

19. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

awesome! but yeah, let’s see that rear wheel

20. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Absolutely awesome, and I totally dig it!!!! But, for the love of all that's holy, paint that front fender white!!!!