1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my mini

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by mattology, Aug 14, 2013.

1. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

hi guys

i thought i would post up my mini

it started out as an ape 50, and i have put a cr125 motor into it.

3 way rear shock, racetech front end with dual damping valves, aim dash, honda rs125 pipe, swedetech karting cylinder, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After riding it back to back with my rs250 ape at a track day I can say that it actually is pretty damn awesome.

i built it to be competitive with the ninja 250 and i think i accomplished that goal.

now if only they'd let me race against them :/

cheers

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Bad ass...

3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

That is sick. Makes my little ysr look super lame.

4. mattology

Thanks guys. Forgot to mention I kept the charging system so it's fully plated and legal haha. It doesn't matter what you have for a mini, country, they're all big on fun!

5. backcountryme

6. mattology

Here is a picture of the profile differences of the Sava slicks in yellow vs the Dunlop slicks in green.

[​IMG]

here is a picture from the first day out at jennings with the bike, on its shakedown runs..

I can't wait to ride it again!

[​IMG]

7. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I'm not that familiar with the model, are those 17" rims? What widths on the rims and tires in the pics?

8. mattology

Yes, they are 17". i believe it is a 2.5 front and a 3.5 rear. they are stock Aprilia wheels

on the bike, the track day compound street tires are 100/80/17 front and a 130/70/17 rear I believe.

the dunlop and sava slicks are:
    95/70/17 front
    115/70/17 rear
    I'm pretty sure...

9. kevinnolde

kevinnolde kandjracingsolutions.com

That bike looks fun for sure. When are you going to drag it out to the Nola mini track? How do you compare the Savas to the Dunlops? I found them more sticky like a Michelin though they don't look as good as the Dunlop when a thousand laps are beaten out of them. That being said the D's never had as much absolute stick in my mind so not wearing down as fast seems natural for them.

10. mattology

Guys I am just starting out on the asphalt. At 31 years old I have little natural talent left in me, but I did get my knee down on the rs250 my first time riding it. I have no real comparisons to base anything off of. If anyone would like to ride my bikes and tell me what they think, be my guest.

I am moving to San Francisco in July, but would love to do some track days out here before that.

11. six6two

six6two AWD

Hey Kevin,are you going to be at nola for the WERA round? Thinking about bringing my yz down if we can use tthe kart track.

12. mattology

I just wanted to say I picked up a set of the SV Racing Parts tire warmers that I found off of the Wera Classifieds and these fit both my 95/115 Sava Slicks as well as my 100/130 Sava DOT R compounds!

I had to shim the front fender to allow the front tire warmer to clear , because it was trying to get stuck like Pedrosa in misano 2012 otherwise! haha

[​IMG]

can't wait to do another track day with this thing!

13. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Love the bike, now sell it to me. :)

14. mattology

I don't think I want to sell it before I at least race it a few times in whatever class it is put in, and see how it turns out.

15. backcountryme

That is a slick looking bike.

16. good job mattback, that thing is awesome.

17. mattology

Thanks guys

18. mattology

here is how it was when it came on the dyno.

[​IMG]

i would have loved to say that I was able to make a bunch of adjustments, but it kept getting too hot. I troubleshot it and it looks like the water pump is dead. I haven't run this side case before (the water pump is part of the side case) so it looks like it is bad. I will switch to the previous side case that I had been using for the track day while I work on fixing the water pump on the #2 case.

Also the dyno was only in 4th gear instead of 6th. 6th is 1:1 on this gearbox.

Better to have figured out the water pump was the issue on the dyno than at the track! I should have it all buttoned up tomorrow.

and here is a two brother ninja250 dyno for comparison

[​IMG]

going to jennings on sunday

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  19. mattology

I am looking for ideas on how to make / set up a belly pan on this bike. Any ideas would be really appreciated, especially with what little clearance I have with the pipe and all...

By the way here is the datalog from the dyno run

[​IMG]

20. mattology

the 125 is back with almost 4 more horsepower to the rear wheel, and more area everywhere

[​IMG]