1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first race... Not what I planned

Discussion in 'General' started by mpusch, Jul 20, 2016.

1. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

After lurking on here for a year or so and track days for three, I finally made the jump to racing this past weekend at pittrace. First things first, thanks to everyone involved putting that weekend together, including n2 and WERA. Made it very easy for a new guy like me to jump in.

I wasn't planning on being real competitive as I'm not that fast and I had just moved up to the SBK Pros a couple months ago (which still were faster than I was). Collin at Shagmoto recommended I switch to some SCs at minimum in the front but preferably both. I agreed, and thought I would swap the front, erring on the side of caution with the "new tires are cheaper than hospital bills". Should have just gone all the way and done the rear too, which is my fault.

Rode great and the trackday Friday, mock race, and practice Sunday morning. Worked my way down to a 2:02, which won't put me near the front, but it's not terrible.

I feel like I have a very good grip on keeping away the red mist. My goal was to finish the first race and ideally not be in last. Unfortunately, my second lap in and I high-sided.

I've taken that turn literally hundreds of times and never had a problem with the little dip there. All I have is the GoPro footage to go off of, since my mild concussion blanked out the entire race and an hour or so after. I'm really just embarrassed and frustrated more than anything else. My first crash caused by a riding error in my career. Ugh.

Huge shoutout to pastor Mark for checking me out at the hospital and coordinating to get my wife down with me. Also thanks to Palmer and Manotti for packing up my gear.

I guess this was just venting as much as anything, but I can't wait to get back out there next year and have a better start.

Will9465, Laz, j cal and 7 others like this.
  2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Welcome to racing. You'll be fine.

:clap:

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Congrats on gridding up! And relatively OK. Hope to see you out there again

mpusch likes this.
  4. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Micah,
    Glad you are ok been thinking about ya last couple days after hearing you crashed.
    You looked great in the race school, etc
    Ive seen people crash there before. Just too much gas and things get a little unsettled there next thing you know rear kicks out.
    Don't let it get ya down (which it doesn't sound like it is).
    See you out there again soon!

Ride safe,
    AAron

mpusch likes this.
  5. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Thanks Aaron. I really appreciate you taking out a lot of your time throughout the weekend to help me and the other guys get prepared. Even though the ending wasn't what I wanted, I had a blast still.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Sorry to hear about your get-off. I agree that a SC rear, either green or blue, wouldn't have spun up on you. But you were rolling on the throttle as you were turning in to the apex - adding lean angle points, and throttle points. You simply over worked the rear. I've seen a couple people high side their brains out doing the same thing at the same spot - and they were on race tires. At a faster pace, but goes to show you that bad technique will crash you. The kind of tires you're running just may cause that crash to happen at a slower, or higher speed.

7. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Doing a trackday I came as close as you can to high-siding and not wrecking in the same exact spot there during my second time at that track. Definitely took that one with a bit more respect from there on out.

mpusch likes this.
  8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

That was my take too watching the video. Definitely sounded like I rolled on early, but I thought it might have been from leaning the bike over increasing rpms too. Agree that if I make that mistake with those tires, I'd just make the same mistake with better tires at a faster speed.

9. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Has nothing to do with the increased RPM's from leaning over. Watch your first lap through there and listen to the engine.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Shit happens, just glad you're okay.

BigBird, TLR67 and mpusch like this.
  11. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Yup. You're right. I was leaned over already, then you hear the engine start coming on more.

12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

People talk about he superbike pros being a great tire for beginners as the pros can go fast on them. I think they are a shit tire for novice racers as they do not have nearly the "dumbass ape input" saving grip that an SC1 or 2 has. I think they are a great trackday tire and a great tire for someone who understands what they have to offer and can manage their pace/inputs appropriately.

13. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

Agree, plus when you are running with other guys on race tires you should learn some more technique by being in close proximity. You got this.

14. Blackbeener

Blackbeener Well-Known Member

Sorry for the dumb question..what track is this?

ToofPic likes this.
  15. condon66

Used to be known as Beaverun. Pittsburgh track.

16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Glad to hear you are OK.

Silver lining.........at least your bike didn't tumble. I cringed as it approached the grass and thought it would go all ass-over-teakettle. Sigh of relief when it stayed on its side. Should help with the repair aspect as you prep for next year.

Eskimo likes this.
  17. condon66

Same thing I thought as it came to a rest. Very fortunate.

18. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Besides what other guys said I think you should shift up a gear from 2nd to 3rd when you transition from right to left when bike is straight up as possible. This will smooth things a bit and you will be going downhill anyways so don't worry about losing a little drive if any. Many fast guys do that, me to (but I'm not fast guy)...
    Your get the point, I'm glad you are ok.

19. Get off those tires. They are ok for track days for people that don't want to use warmers, they are ok for coaching. But at the end of the day, they are nothing more than a street tire with no grooves.

They aren't a race Slick and should not be used as one IMO.

20. The best part about your post was the last part. So good your crash didn't get you down.

In my first TD ever I was taken out while riding in the Novice group (still my worst crash to date, injury wise).

It took me 8 months to fully recover. I did a few more TD weekends then decided to race. In my 2nd race weekend I was clipped at Jennings, destroying the same collarbone again.

Recovered from that, came back and did one more race weekend. In my 2nd race weekend back I was passing people on the outside of T2 at Barber and a guy lowsided into me, destroying my left wrist and right ankle.

At that point I was starting to get discouraged, but I stuck with it. But that was why I accepted my Expert bump (Podium at the GNF) even though I'd only done about 4-5 weekends as a Novice.

I had multiple opportunities to say "to hell with it", but I stuck with it. I was glad to see your last comment, looks like you plan on sticking with it too. That is awesome. It gets better dude, I promise. :beer: