1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MV Augusta to enter Moto2 for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 29, 2017.

1. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

2. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

I love seeing more diversity on the grid, so I'm a fan of the idea.

From the financial side, considering they are always on the brink of collapse, I don't know if it's the best financial decision for them.

So for 2018, we now have Kalex, Suter, KTM, Speed Up, NTS and MV Agusta in Moto2? Love it!

rcarson15 likes this.
  3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't understand this. I can see how the chassis manufacturers would want to play, but why would a complete bike manufacturer want to be in a class that uses somebody else's engines?

Edit: I guess at least for MV, it's a way to get the bike to the end of the race :D

4. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

MV Agusta...please report to the burn unit!!

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

KTM seems to be showing that fans don't give a shit about what engine is in there. If it says KTM all over the bike, it's a KTM.

I thought the same thing about MVs reliability :D

JustaNobody likes this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

[​IMG]

badmoon692008 and Potts N Pans like this.
  7. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Well that escalated quickly.....:eek:

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, makes NO sense. Maybe they will rebadge a Kalex or got the IP from a dead moto2 chassis manufacturer.

This might be stupider than Bimota and EBR going WSBK.

9. 418

418 Expert #59

I have no idea how MV stays in business, much less goes racing.

10. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Expensive product placement to the motorcycle crowd or insane Italian passion to go racing?

11. JustaNobody

JustaNobody Well-Known Member

Nah !!!!

12. stangmx13

Maybe MV would be more inclined to invest in WSBK or WSS if anyone actually attended or watched the races.

Moto2 is unlimited chassis development in a championship that ppl actually watch. Def seems like a good place for an Italian racing-obsessed factory, esp when compared to WSS.

The Great One, rcarson15 and TX Joose like this.
  13. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Chassis development and marketing.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. You can still get plenty of advertising with someone elses engine. Especially when that's what you've done on the street in the past.

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Same reason Tech3 does Moto2 - product development at the sharp end. It's not profitable immediately, but the information gained is huge of you're going to go racing elsewhere or sell your product down the line to customers in feeder series. If the engines are the same, then it's all about chassis. Kalex has it dialed, everyone else is playing catch up. It's actually a fascinating series, and I wish there was a series in the US for these machines.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can build the class but sadly can't put enough money in it for people to justify getting or building the bikes.

stk0308 likes this.
  17. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Word on the street is that they made a ton of capital investments in designing and building the 3 cylinder platform which was hurting their financials BUT that they have been selling a ton of bikes with healthy year over year growth.

They are actually fairly healthy at this point. As for the reliability of the 675, didn't that happen to the Triumph as well? It just seems like triple and twins have to be wound so tightly to be competitive with 4s.

18. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

If only MV could put together a decent WSBK effort like Honda and Suzuki...

19. Chango

Chango Something clever!

More than that, why not wait one more year? Isn't Moto2 changing to the Triumph engines in 2019? Now MV will only have one year with the Honda engine and then start over from scratch the next year.

20. stangmx13

A new chassis manufacturer that wants to compete should prob b making 2-3 chassis a year anyways. So I don't think it's that much of a set back or extra work. They'll learn the tires, weight bias, stiffness, etc and have much more data to make a better chassis for 2019.

2019 might be such a crapshoot w the riders and teams learning the electronics and engine that having a better chassis then might be a damn good idea. They'll have a better chance to actually win w all the variability.