1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi vehicle insurance question

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Oct 20, 2019.

1. That’s not the case everywhere. I don’t know if it varies by state or company, but mine isn’t like that.

On the race bikes, I have always had Comp only. What they do is initially put it in the system as full coverage, then the next day they go back and drop the Collision and Liability, and put a note stating they won’t be used on public roads.

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Holy shit! Did you die?!?

3. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

I'm to the point where I shop insurance every six months before my renewal since it always goes up even though I have a clean record and no claims.

I just switched in fact, since I have one new bike and noticed my auto went up significantly on my 9 year old daily driver (and driving less miles/year than ever). Luckily I saw the notification when the payment went through and did the math, thought it was a mistake and checked. Nope, no reason provided either so was able to switch on the last day of my policy to avoid having to pay a cancellation penalty, otherwise they were going to keep 10% once the new policy went into effect, eff that!

Currently have different companies for bikes and auto/home since it wasn't even close on the bikes with full coverage.

It doesn't take long to educate yourself, comparing quotes online can be a bit time consuming but worthwhile. Having a throw-away email address and not giving out your phone number is ideal for the quotes, otherwise you'll get spammed all the time.

BigBird likes this.
  4. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Seems ridiculous to me... I use State Farm for everything and my agent asked my if I rode my motorcycles in the winter because he noticed I hadn't dropped coverage for the off season... I'm in Wisconsin also.

5. badmoon692008

Who do you go through? I asked my agent about it and they said anything that's used for racing they wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole

6. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I had State Farm prior to this carrier. Only left because West Bend had higher coverage levels and more 'extras' stranded motorist hotel, etc for less money. Maybe I'll go back.

7. State Farm

The racing is irrelevant, because I only have Comp (fire, theft, etc)

8. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I have comp only on my bike through State Farm in Illinois...BUT...no one would touch it when I asked around. Luckily I met a State Farm agent who was also a racer and he hooked me up. When he sold his office, the new agent called me wondering wtf I was doing with a bike that only had comp - I never answered him and it's still insured as such. I have no doubt he'd have yanked it immediately though if I had told him it was a track bike.

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Varies by state, in Maine SF will NOT do partial year coverage on bikes. You either buy in for 12 months, or shop elsewhere. Never really cared as the rate is so damn low on my bikes but they were very upfront about that policy when I switched.

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I don't jump ship nearly this often, but this guy has the right idea. "loyalty" is a 1 way street with Insurance... and not in your favor. "bundling" coverage may look like you're saving money, but it's one of their ways of keeping you around.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. badmoon692008

That's what I thought too, but they asked what I used it for and told me they wouldn't touch it... always nice how much consistency they have. I was through American Family before this for a while and asked my agent about it (the head guy, not one of the front desk people) and he told me he could insure my trailer and it would cover anything on the trailer if it was stolen or involved in an accident. The agency got taken over by someone new and I got a call asking why I was bothering to insure a trailer that I said was only worth $400 (even though I told him that that was the trailer worth and not the stuff on it) and they told me the last guy was full of shit and what I was paying for would only cover the trailer and nothing on it. :mad:

12. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Just get coverage elsewhere for the bike.

My broker told me flatout that he couldn't provide competitive rates, and to get the bikes insured under Progressive. There's no reason to get it all from the same place other than ease of billing, once you file a claim, the process is the same.

Also most bike insurance is on an annual cycle, but if you cancel it midway through, they refund you the prorated amount.

13. I think the first guy just told you that shit to get you to insure your trailer, so he can get the premium.

A motorized vehicle must have its own policy. I have insurance on my trailer, but I had to get separate policies on the bikes to cover them. If something happens, it will only cover the trailer, not the bikes.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Homeowners will cover a lot of trailer contents including tools, not sure how that works with renters. It will not cover anything with a VIN including the trailer itself. Trailer insurance usually won't cover any contents unless it's spelled out. It also won't cover anything with a VIN in the trailer. Off track and storage will cover anything you list on it.

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

In reference to the above, I've heard about not having insurance on the trailer but whatever vehicle it's attached to will cover the trailer. I'm in Maryland.

16. I seem to remember something about that also. I believe my agent said it extends to the trailer, but none of the contents of the trailer.

And it only counts when the trailer is hooked up to the vehicle. If someone steals the trailer from a parking lot or something like that, it isn't covered.

17. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Ive never bothered to insure my trailer based on that information. Maybe I should look into it.

18. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

I'm still confused about his rates being based upon Chicago, since that's in a different state

Insurance companies are regulated by states, and every big company has a state subsidiary.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's not based on being in Chicago but he pays more because it's a suburb of Chicago.

20. He is penalized for being so close to a shithole.

Sabre699 and ClemsonsR6 like this.