1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Guadalajara Mexico?

Discussion in 'General' started by JTW, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

I have personally been to Guadalajara a number of times on business.

If you have to live anywhere in Mexico it is one place I would definately live.

The people there are very friendly, they have great food and the cities level of advancement is quite good (at least compared to Mexico City which is a piss hole)

There was a time I contemplated living there. They have the most gorgeous women I have seen in Mexico too.

This was 10 years ago and I think the crime level has risen around Mexico globally. Not sure how affected Guadalajara is but it must be touched by it somehow.

2. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I was there about 5 years ago on a motorcycle ride. Seemed like a nice city, although it was huge and lots of traffic. I was surprised by the wealth. Overall, I found the people to be very nice and it was a good experience. Food is amazing, of course. Seems like any other big city in the world. I've spoken to people that live in Tijuana right now, and they don't see any evidence of the violence happening in Mexico. Yes, its happening, but affects such a small percentage of people.

4. yamaha nick

yamaha nick THE DUDE DOES NOT ABIDE

Go ask on ADV forum. There are a lot of guys on there that actually may have some useful data on the place.

Good luck with your travels.

5. SlyRy

SlyRy Registered user

Because you were lucky and nothing happened? I have personally been to some of the worst parts of Central America. Even in the tourist areas, it is dangerous. My ex company stopped insuring expatriates in several Central American countries, because they kept getting kidnapped and murdered. The scary thing is they had armed security protecting them.

You are a fool if you don't take the state department's warnings seriously. It is only a matter of time for you my friend.

6. Mike Dillon

Mike Dillon Well-Known Member

With a murder count in 2010 of ~1000+ in the city of Tijuana alone (and crime stats in Mexico widely understood to be vastly under-reported) I find it rather surprising a local would say something like that.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Brazil is where you want to be looking. I'm projecting it to be our largest market in 3 years.

8. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Yep, Brazil is our 2nd largest growth market behind China with Russia being number 3. We have an RnD center in Guadalajara which is why I would be going there but my would be boss sits in Brazil so I would be looking there after this assignment.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

John, who do you work for?

10. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

Just got back from Sao Paulo and Salvador after a 12 day trip 2 weeks ago!

Brazil absolutely 100% rocks!!

Just missed by 1 day seeing the F1 race...............:down:

11. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

INTC

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nice.

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Did you ride a motorcycle? How was Salvador? I've only been down south near Rio and Sao Paulo, and a little of Manaus. Would love to see Bahia & Recife.

14. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

just turn on the news, odds are there is something about killings and kidnapping there everynight

15. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Houston and Chicago have higher crime rates than Guadalajara

16. backbone

backbone scarred for life

I'm going to Guadalajara this summer for trackdays.

17. highsidephoto

highsidephoto Well-Known Member

Guadalajara is by far not the most dangerous place in Mexico. It used to be the place where narcos had homes but would refrain from violence there since it was like a getaway. That's no longer so and there have been a number of incidents there. The biggest risk is of being at the wrong place/wrong time. You are not a likely target but if you happen to be someplace where there is a target, you can get caught in the crossfire. Clearly, the more exposure to public places he more risk. If I were you, I would not do it.

18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

You're American. You're going there to work for a large company. You're probably taking the spot there because of the larger amount of money involved over working here.
    Americans are kidnapped frequently all over Mexico for ransom, especially targets that look like they will bring big money.

Go for it. There is absolutely zero cause for alarm. But keep an online blog/diary so we can watch what unfolds.
    Nothing to worry about whatsoever, go chase the money.

19. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

If you knew the answer, why did you ask here?

20. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

I just learned that and was looking for people with direct experience with the area.