1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving services: Pods vs U-Box vs ?

Discussion in 'General' started by shakazulu12, Feb 22, 2022.

1. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I'll reach out to ABF for sure, with the timeframes, we could make it work. Only issue is a 53 foot trailer is going to pin down quite a few houses where I'm at now. Though the Arizona one has plenty of space. I'm guessing there has to be a turn around somewhere down the street for them to have ever built houses that way. I'll figure it out though.

Told my GF we got a lot of shooting to do since I don't wanna move it:crackup:

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Yes.

[​IMG]

3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Just moved from IA to CO in August. We used ABF’s UPack. I don’t think we had any damage whatsoever with the two cubes we used. I’d use them again.

shakazulu12 likes this.
  4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

If it’s 9mm, 10mm, .40, or 5.56 or 300blackout, send me a PM and I’ll take what you don’t want to move.

depends on how much and what you’ve got, but could pay for part of the move

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I did Ubox before. Worked well.

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My son used Pods from Portland (Salem actually) to Raleigh NC. Anything going from West to South is going to be $$$......just the way it is now-a-days.

shakazulu12 likes this.
  7. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

Be aware that U-Haul might pay some Joe Schmo renting a moving van around the same time and heading in the same direction to move your U-Box. I was recently paid to move a box from Lima OH to Scottsdale AZ while driving a truck from Detroit to San Diego, and they didn't even ask me if I had ever pulled a trailer before.

I used a big 1-800-Pack-Rat box when I moved from MI to CA several years ago and was very happy with the service. The company I work for paid for the move though, so I have have no recollection of the cost.

8. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

Agreed on the timeliness of this thread. We are unfortunately moving states this summer. I've been getting quotes from the big companies, United Van Lines and Mayflower. Damn is this expensive. Wasn't expecting 20k quotes for full pack and 17k for self pack.

9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Update on this. Due to timing, I ended up not being able to use any of the shipping services. Just due to keeping workflow smooth for my clients, I needed to be up and running day one when I got here. So ended up renting a 26 foot Uhaul and towing my GF's Subaru down behind it. Other than the fact that it was a gasser V10, and downshifted two gears and redlined if I even thought the word "hill", it was a non-eventful drive which I used to catch up on some audiobooks. The Grapevine kinda sucked and I did the whole trip on 90 minutes of sleep at a truckstop. Had movers load and unload.

SuddenBraking and Chino52405 like this.
  10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

To late for Shaka, but try identifying as a cute blonde chick. You will have several volunteers.

11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Wow, @shakazulu12

That's a long haul in a truck. I've done the San Diego to PDX 3x in large Uhauls and yes, the grapevine sucked.
    Mt. Ashland also sucked. I did end up with some great gas mileage (up to 18/gal) when I was drafting the big rigs.

At least you can now have zoom calls from the pool.

12. Particlez

Particlez Member

I think most every moving company (at least the major ones) offers some sort of pods/container service at this point so you might want to call around and compare some prices to see if some are cheaper than others. I know I've used a more "standard" moving company in the past, 3 Movers, and they were able to provide a pod type service as well, plus packing help if you feel you need it. They also came in a little cheaper than the others so we ended up going with them and didn't have any issues. That link has quite a lot of info about pods in general too if you want to drill down into some of the specifics of what you may need.

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

They used to pay by the pound. Load up a shit-ton of scrap metal, bricks, whatever heavy shit you can find, and have a couple of buddies ride in the box while you're getting it weighed at your former duty station.

Pads the payment real good.

Good times.

(or so I heard. I, myself, would never commit fraud)

ChemGuy likes this.
  14. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

I just used pods in early June. They were absolutely horrible to work with. They sent leaky containers, then upcharged me to swap into containers that didn't leak. They didn't answer questions. They didn't respond to emails. They charged my credit card repeatedly despite my revocation of auto pay. Took weeks and many hours of my valuable time to argue with them. I finally ended up just disputing charges on my credit card. Amex was helpful. Pods was awful.

YamahaRick likes this.
  15. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Good luck to those of you moving. It has already been close to 2 years ago since I moved from CA to TX. I priced Pods and similar, and also Uhaul. I found a company that was close to me at the time that rented Pace cargo trailers up to 28'. Because I had time and a truck to pull a big trailer, I did it all myself with a 20' rented cargo trailer and last trip with my 7x14 cargo trailer. I had a lot of stuff to move between personal belongings and work stuff. Busted my butt, but saved myself a ton of dough.