1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting spare rims in a trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by rabbit73, Aug 30, 2019.

1. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

I tried searching but I can't find anything here or Google. I'm sure I've seen guys mount spare rims to the trailer wall with black or pvc pipe fittings. Does anyone have pics or advice? Any chance that will damage the bearings bouncing around back there? Currently I have them on the floor and strapped to the wall with o rings but I'd rather go vertical and get some space back.

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Here's how I did it:

DSCN3238.JPG DSCN5382.JPG

418, Laz and TurboBlew like this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

We just leave them on the tire tree and strap it in. If you wall mount them I would make it folding so it isn’t constantly in the way. Still a lot of weight to be hanging off the wall of most trailers....

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This. When I did the pipe trick I did it where the tire/wheel rested on trailer floor.

Also, try threaded pipe flange and thread length of pipe into it.

It’s a lot simpler/cheaper than the above version and you can still move it out of the way when not in use.

6. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Thanks that's the type of idea I was looking for. I have the same concerns about the amount of weight torquing down on the walls.

7. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Mine were screwed into the metal "studs."

After 2+ years of bumping down the road, I had no problems other than the first mount I made (with thinner wall tubing) broke at the weld. IIRC, this one had the Skorpion wheels, which have been described as "boat anchors" by people with more modern bikes (and rims.)

turner38 likes this.
  8. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I had a "hand made" one where I essentially made a rack - I could dig up some pictures.

But a shameless plug - my wife bought me Pit Products folding rack that I never used. New in the box - any interest?