1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

I know you are but what am I? haha.

I love my fatty. It comes out around Thanksgiving and carries me through mud season. I've been fitter in April ever since.

2. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

Even the Thule/Yakima answers to 1Up are a joke. And they had 2 years to sort it out.

brex and Sweatypants like this.
  3. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

shit longer than that... i've had a 1UP for going on 4-5 years now and I know i wasn't even close to catching them when they first popped up. had a hitch on my last car for years, and am 1.5 years into this car with a pair of roof ones. others resting on their laurels with sun baked brittle plastic trash and only name recognition from the 90's.

4. Sweatypants

i imagine this to be worse than riding a freshly cut east coast trail in the middle of summer, uphill... which is the slowest, most power zapping, frustrating thing i've experienced in my years haha. i guess if you like torture for cardio and personal growth, there's not much worse (or better?).

5. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

My brother has a La Pierre Spicy with the electronic
    Mines heavier than yours.

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I’m sure. Just fucking around because everybody is so damn irritable lately.

I’m a re-entry into mtb so I’m learning all over again. Did some WORS and MNMTB racing back in the day. Always had CC bikes.

I got the bug again when I visited a friend in Vegas. One of his teammates is a big DH guy, so he took us to Mt Charleston and I got to ride a specialized Demo and a Santa Cruz V10. Never had so much fun on a bicycle. I can’t believe the terrain those things can just gobble up. It’s like a Motocross bike that runs on gravity.

No idea on travel. Basically I’m looking for something nearly as huckable as what I rode in Vegas, but still able to put in 20 miles or so of pedaling. Would like to spend under $4k

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  7. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

amen.

some people ride bikes to improve fitness and strength, others buy bikes to talk about them and the parts they bolt on them.

it’s all good.

any bike will only go as far and fast as the motor can take it.
    Talking shit about any bike is dumb.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the discussions and hate that is exhibited by some hard core enthusiasts toward pedal assist mountain bikes is pretty comical.. some are converts once they ride one. big time workout, if you want it to happen.

Jon Wilkens and Senna like this.
  9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Actually, mine might not be that exact model. Looking at it again today (with less beer in me) I can see there is a pretty drastic vertical rise in the tube that comes out of the hitch. That can be a problem for a lot of SUV's, where you can't open the hatch if the rack is in the way. Also, mine has a pivot where it tilts the top tubes down, but the wheels stay in place. That doesn't allow you to tilt with bikes on the back, which is a big deal for many. It sucks if you can't even open your hatch after you take your bike off. My buddy has different hitch carriers for his dirtbike and mountain bike and can't use the rear of of his SUV with either. That sucks and should be a deal breaker.

Here's the one I bought for $180 in 2014:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1SI03Y/

It says unavailable now in that link but there's similar options below. It looks like the price might have gone up alot.

It is all metal and has held up without any issues for 6 years for me. One other thing I like is the side arms fold up when not in use. I used to leave it on the back of my car alot without a bike, and this option made it easy to get into my trunk.

As for loading, after the initial use where you set the wheel length, loading takes seconds. All you do is set the bike on it, then slide the top hook over the frame. There are velcro straps you can put over the rims, but they don't do anything if you have the top bar pushed down hard enough.

Mike Lafayette likes this.
  10. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I'll have to check one of those out too because I have heard they are also really nice. I looked at Saris as well and it looked like garbage next to the Kuat.

11. Spooner

I have been waiting for some haters on mine but only one guy jokingly called it a cheater bike before asking 4,000 questions about it. They are technically not legal almost anywhere in KC which also made me nervous but I've seen other people on them at most places and its idiotic that they aren't allowed. I am doing zero harm to trails on this thing, it just allows me to go up hills faster and ride further. On strava I do select E bike so I don't get anyone groaning about me possibly taking any segments away from them too.

MELK-MAN and sill'r B sill'd like this.
  12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The e-assist bikes are great, I know many people with them that wouldn't be riding otherwise. They are really no different than other bikes, just heavier and help the rider put down more power in a smoother fashion. I don't like type 2 throttle e-bikes. Just get an electric dirt bike instead.

MELK-MAN, L8RSK8R and ton like this.
  13. ton

ton Arf!

here we were, having a nice MTB discussion, and Melka has to go and bring e-bikes into it. this is gonna get ugly. :D

MELK-MAN likes this.
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

no hate here but we have a pretty technical unrelenting trail called Graham Swamp. 100% volunteer and donation supported by local riders/sorba. The ones doing the damage are squids. Steamrolling or short cutting deliberate technical sections, making unwanted bailout lines, and blasting berms. It was so bad that guys started voluteering to patrol to catch the assholes and get their strava or plate info. When you put your own sweat equity & material donations into a trail and some fairweather asswipe thinks they can do what the eff they want... its kind of disrespectful to the local group that cares for the trail. The trail has teeth of its own so some of those idiots suffered injury. Because of that a sign has been posted banning them.

wiggeywackyo likes this.
  15. Spooner

Yeah I could see that being an issue on any bike. I am very careful to try to never break traction in any way and really with the 27.5 plus rear tire on mine its insane the grip it has even on rocks. And I know its a ton of work to maintain the trails and will be volunteering my time in the near future.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. sill'r B sill'd

sill'r B sill'd throttle therapy

Thanks for the feedback fellas. Im a featherweight at 5'6" 130, so I don't need super heavy duty. However, I did manage to put a dent in my stock rims. Brought to the lbs yesterday and they said a new tape job and my current tires should work tubeless even with the dent. I dont have an air compressor, so I just rode with a tube this morning. If the new tape job doesn't work, I might look into new rims down the road. [​IMG][​IMG]

17. Sweatypants

tap that bad boy back in line, it'll prolly be a little weaker tho. the thing that sucks about wheels, is the parts are pretty cheap. the labor gets you every time, if it holds it holds tho, keep on keeping on. as long as its not on the pinned/welded joint, which it does not look to be, at least you won't have a catastrophic failure with any of that.

sill'r B sill'd likes this.
  18. ton

ton Arf!

Nothing that rides like a XC bike is going to be as huckable as the full-on downhill rigs you rode in Vegas, of course. I came from an old school XC/road race background back into it this year as well and everything is just mindblowingly good. I chose to go with the "trail bike" segment after having ridden a few of the XC bikes (was certain I was going to buy an SB100 until i rode it...) and realizing i wanted just a bit more suspension both for the downhill, and surprisingly (given my ignorance) also for climbing efficiency. Most of my friends here in the Wasatch do more shuttling than i do, and they're all on more travel. Enduro bikes. Which sounds like what you're after. Shakazulu kinda already went through the list above. I'd add the Pivot Switchblade and Orbea Rallon to the list. If you can find them on the used market (Pinkbike!) you can probably get into your pricepoint. Otherwise, the cheapest builds are all knocking on the door of $5000 retail.

19. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

You guys should check out Warnaar Trail in Meyer Broadway park in Three Rivers. I'm getting back into MTB too and always rode at Custer (I've been out so long I was shocked to see it's bi-direcitonal now). My coworkers took me to Warnaar and I love it. It's 6.5ish miles, flow-type trail... similar to Maple Hill (same designer maybe?) but less climb-and-then-descend like Maple and more up-and-down roller-coaster type terrain.

JBraun likes this.
  20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Taking a staycation and using most of it to get outdoors and refresh from the craziness the last few months at work. Took the hardtail up to Timberline for some lift assisted riding and booked a coach as well. Best 120 bucks I've spent in a long time. Got so much faster and smoother and can't wait to go back Wednesday, and Friday when the new whip gets here.