1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I have a Diamondback as well. It probably is a little older than what you and everyone else here has. It is an Ascent model, probably 25 years old (lol), but in really nice condition due to lack of miles. Guessing 4-500 total, based on when I put the odometer on it. I put some front forks on it and basically just use it as a neighborhood bike. But not opposed to actually getting dirty with it.

RichB and Razr like this.
  2. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

Hey there fellow Mountaineer!
    I'm just up the road from you in Wood county, I ride mostly at Mountwood park and some in Marietta OH around Wayne national park.
    The race at Mountwood was scheduled for June 21st and that's getting close! I probably won't race, I was going to earlier before they changed to date from April?
    Good luck at Big Bear! :beer:

3. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I work in Portage, and live in Kalamazoo. I plan to check out El Sabo next week. The wife and i are going to try to ride Ft Custer again today, after I load race bike and gear in the trailer for Gingerman this weekend.

Skipping the Nelson Ledges round..:(

I've been riding like shit so far this year. I cant get comfortable on the new bike. So I figured instead of trying to race at a new track I'd spend 3 days dialing in the bike and my dumb ass self. Going to work with some coaches and try to focus on body position...

I'm trying some new clip ons (Apex GP-Style) that mount off the centerline of the fork (my biggest issue is that I cant get my ding dong off the tank and I'm twisting my hips trying to move over in the saddle. My arms are getting stretched out.. I'm a short guy. I sat on a friends ZX6R two weeks ago with those clip ons and I liked them a lot. They felt really comfy just sitting on the stand. So, maybe they will be a big help...

Hopefully see everyone at Mid-O! :) I have actually raced cars at Mid Ohio, so I'm hoping that helps me out a bit with learning the track. This is my 2nd year on motorcycles.

4. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

I'm planning on going to Gingerman for the Friday night deal. I plan to shake down the bike from some winter changes as well. Stop by and say hi, I ride a black Triumph 675.

Sounds like those clip ons will be the answer to moving the bars back.

I think Mid-Ohio got postponed.

Trainwreck likes this.
  5. proprocket28

proprocket28 Well-Known Member

I picked up a 2020 Epic HT base a couple weeks ago (to replace my 2015 Epic with damaged frame) with carbon frame and SX/NX drivetrain. It has about 150 trail miles and so far so good. I know others with the similar drivetrain and it has seemed to be solid even though not the lightest/best.

6. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Nah, the Shimano stuff is objectively better quality.

That said, I run SRAM because it's lighter.

7. Trainwreck

I took my bike to Pedal on Wednesday and had them do some adjustments. Everything seemed to be good afterwords..

The wife and I went out to Ft. Custer again yesterday and rode the Red Trail again. (different direction than Sundays ride) We had a really good time, no hiccups from either bike, she didn't fall once, (I bounced my shoulder off a tree and fell but I was fine, more funny than anything)

Im really enjoying this new hobby! Im hoping to get out to trails 2-3 times a week. We also have some trips planned for Omaha, and Denver this year. We usually take her BMW because it gets 35-38mpg, but we decided last night that we are going to take my truck instead so we can take the bikes and gear. lol She's just as hooked as I am.

ton likes this.
  8. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Great bike! My first MTB was a 1995 ascent, dark blue/purple. Wish I still had it.

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Sweatypants likes this.
  10. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

If it's one bike then imo nothing beats a vehicle that you can toss the bike straight inside of without removing or adjusting anything. Two or more, yeah, hitch rack. Roof mounted if you can and will remember to remove them before entering your garage.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

IDK a modern wheel lock carrier is as infallible as a TRS system.
    My Yakima carrier did manage lose my bike at 65mph on a highway BUT they sent me all new updated components at NC when I protested a lil.

12. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I sold my car and got a Transit Connect. The little Transit. I can easily fit two bikes without them beating on each other. Wheels still on. and still have room for a chair to change for the ride.

13. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

Nothing is as simple as a shuttle pad on a tailgate for hauling, the 1up racks are second to that.

The new shimano 12 speed is great, it’s funny that it’s shifts smoother under load up the cog than down now. I personally don’t run anything SRAM on my bikes, but the x01 stuff is good. Everyone I know with the GX stuff ends up with a bent derailleur when they just look funny at a rocky section.

brex and Sweatypants like this.
  14. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Ya know Sean Ward & Jodi Needham?

15. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

1UP or nothing. all the other plastic racks can get fucked. also hitch is so damn convenient. i couldn't get the Curt to go on my car without hacking up the AMG bumper because its lower than the normal one and they only make one design. went with 1UP roof racks for this one. roof loading is dump though, even with a lowered car. still nice to not be taking wheels off ever though. when i used to have an xB, and even the CT before i had a 1UP, i'd throw them in the back. they'd go in with the front wheel off and seats down, but 1UP hitch on the CT was always so easy.

either way... 100mph a bunch of times with it on the roof and hasn't fallen off yet! [fingers crossed]

16. Trainwreck

I daily drive a 2015 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Cummins... If I start attaching shit to the rear hitch, there wont be a parking spot on the planet I can fit it. lol Its already 22' long or something. I have a bike rack style attachment in the bed that's pretty easy to take in and out. I just put the bikes in that and go on my merry way.

Sean Ward sounds super familiar, but I cannot put a face to the name..

I brought my bike with me to work today, and was planning on hitting Maple Hill again on the way home. However, im actually pretty sore.. I went to Ft. Cuser on Thursday, then ran 3 days on the ZX6R at Gingerman.. (beat my previous PB there by 2 seconds, so i'm super happy with that).... I think i'll take today off.

Going to shop for some suspension for the race bike.. I'm on rebuilt OEM stuff with slicks and I'm getting some crazy chatter that I haven't been able to tune out..

On a positive note though, the Apex Manufacturing GP Style clip-ons were an absolute game changer for me. I'm not sure if some of it may have been placebo, or just seat time, but for the first time since I switched to racing bikes from cars, I could actually feel what the front tire was doing.. I could also move around on the bike much easier, i didn't feel "stretched out" and the 7-8-9-10B switchbacks at Gingerman were actually super fun. (aside from some crazy chatter) I also seem to be able to brake MUCH harder. To the point where I am bottoming the forks out (OEM springs are good for a 155lb rider. I'm in the 165-170lb range, but I didn't think my current skills warranted upgrading anything)

ZX6R's seem to be very weird to set up compared to a lot of other bikes. I have literally just been raising the bike up until it feels better. I have been working with Joe from Turn One and he's been really great at explaining things I "should" be feeling and deciphering through my newbie feedback to give me setup tips, and things to try. I think my front end is 18mm higher than stock, and my rear is about 10-15mm higher.

I've been searching through ZX6R tags on this site trying to get some more info. I think I am going to get a hold of Jason Farrell and see what he thinks as well.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  17. sill'r B sill'd

sill'r B sill'd throttle therapy

@brex I have a '12 Giant Trance X3 26" and I want to upgrade the drivetrain. I bought it brand new in '12 and it's till on the original 3x10! It still works, but I've been riding a bit more lately and don't need a brand new bike.
    One guy on the mtbr forum suggested the IBX crankset on eBay, but seems too cheap? ($60ish for crank arms and chainring)
    I just missed out on a Scram NX Eagle groupset on adv classifieds for $250 because I don't know what components will fit my bike. I called the lbs who has the same NX set for $375 but didn't hear back from them in time to see if it'll fit.
    I guess I'll have to consider getting a smaller cassette since @Monsterdood says the 50T has rubbing issues on his Trance.
    Is NX the most budget friendly set-up you recommend? (I have my first newborn at home, so trying not to break the bank)
    I do all mtn riding with average rides being 10 miles/1,000 ft climbing. I can get up everything here on my 32 front crank without being full granny in the back.
    Anyways thanks for the help and hope all y'all are having fun on the mountains![​IMG]

18. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

What do you want to upgrade, exactly? Just lose some pounds?

19. sill'r B sill'd

sill'r B sill'd throttle therapy

Well, the crankring teeth are looking sharp in some areas but the cassette doesn't look too bad. So maybe I can switch to a 32T crankset first and leave the rear for now? Just looking to get rid of the front derailer and free up bar space for a dropper post.

20. ton

ton Arf!

on an 8 year old 26er, that you say will get you up anything you want to do... i'd just keep it and run 'er.

among the issues you'll run into is rear wheel spacing. i have to guess yours in not boost spacing, which means you'd be building a "new" setup that's already obsolete. i'm sure the tech nerds can tell you, but i don't remember whether you'd be able to put an 11 (or 12) speed cassette on your existing hub, either. you already mentioned it, but going one by on the front only works if you go full dinner plate on the rear, which may not work with the existing derailleur.

sill'r B sill'd and TurboBlew like this.