1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mountain bike tire question

Discussion in 'General' started by crashman, Apr 1, 2020.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am having hell keeping the tire from spinning on the rim and yanking the valve stem out on my wifes bike. I have tried scuffing up the rim and tire bead so that the tire would hopefully grip the rim better and running the pressure closer to the high end but nothing seems to be working for me. Are there any tricks to keep the tires from rotating on the rim?

2. sbkidd

sbkidd Well-Known Member

tubeless

ducnut and tropicoz like this.
  3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

That would be awesome but I was looking for something to do tonite for a ride tomorrow.:D

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

rtv on the tire/tube?? is it a presta or schrader stem?

5. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

What pressure are you running and what is the rim made of? Could pressure be a bit low or tyre old and effed? A new tyres bead should lock into the rim with even modest pressure.

tropicoz and speedluvn like this.
  6. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

For tonight, fold a layer of duct tape over itself and place between the rim and tire where they seat.

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

They are schrader stems, aluminum rims and the tires are Michelin Country Rocks. Basically bike path tires but they are in good shape and only a few years old. Tires say 36 to 73PSI on the sidewall. I have gone up to 60PSI and they still seem to slip.

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

More pressure

Cannoli likes this.
  9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Ive gotta ask, are they the right size tire/rim combo??

MELK-MAN and Cannoli like this.
  10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Won't help for tonight, but take the tire off the wheel and give them both a good cleaning at the bead. Put it back together and give it a go. The tire is probably about done, even if the tread looks OK. Scuffing the tire and rim won't do anything to help the issue, get them as clean as you can. If you're riding off pavement at all, I wouldn't go to 60 psi. If all on pavement, I wouldn't really go above 60 psi. A fresh tire is your best bet either way.

11. Seeley

Seeley Well-Known Member

spend a couple dollars on the correct sized tire.... 650 is not 27.5

12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Thanks all. Once this blows over I will get new tires for her bike. I cleaned the shit out of everything and reassembled with the duct tape wedge and hairspray on the bead to glue it down at the recommendation of another friend. We will see if it worked tomorrow.
    And what was that 27.5 talk. We are still rollin' on 26's yo!

TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.
  13. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Was gonna recommend hairspray, like used on Moto grips.

Phl218, SpeedyE, TurboBlew and 2 others like this.
  14. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Hair spray or a few dots of caulk/RTV between the tire bead and rim.

MELK-MAN and crashman like this.
  15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

It was an old MX buddy that reminded me of that. You must be old too. That is from back before the days of grip adhesive...:D

tropicoz likes this.
  16. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

How much horsepower does she put out?

17. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

60 psi in a bike tire, and slipping on rim? road race tires are held on with often as low as 20psi on 140+ hp bikes.. As someone stated, are you sure it's the right size?
    I know i'm runnin 20psi in rear on my Ebike, and we have a few hills and steep climbs on the trails here in FL (old mining areas that are now parks)

19. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I've seen this happen on several bikes that come into my shop.
    When pressure gets below 20 and brakes are applied, the rim will stop but the tire does not.
    Most common on shitty rims that have way to much clearance between bead & rim.
    I suggest you let all the air out and see what kind of gap there is.

crashman likes this.
  20. joec

joec brace yourself

We run 8psi for dirt track.