1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcycle officers - where have they gone?

Discussion in 'General' started by 2blueYam, Jul 30, 2019.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Maybe they still exist elsewhere, but I sure don't see them in the Mid-Atlantic area outside of Washington DC where most of them are doing motorcade duty. I assume it is a safety issue for the officers? Given the current animosity toward law enforcement today, I don't think I would want to be on a motorcycle if I was a law enforcement officer.

This question brought to you from channel surfing and noticing CHIPs was on. :D Some of the stunt riders were actually not too bad given that they were dealing with 650lb KZ1000s with late 1970s -to early 1980's suspension and tires. Using ramps and cars that blow up when they roll over not part of the stunt work I am praising.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Fairfax county runs them year round on big harleys. I thought I heard something about them trying BMWs or something else but it's "potato potato potato" as they move along.

3. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

We have one in our town and they also now have a Dodge Ram. You still see motorcycle officers in NYC as well.

BigBird likes this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

I mean they still around

see: police officer dirtbike in NYC :D

Also, I saw a bunch in California. And they don't wear full helmets either :confused:

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

We have a few left here.

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Dallas area is covered with 'em.

I just got a warning from an SUV cop yesterday... you'll never catch a break from an MC cop though. Buncha surly dicks. I guess it's the Harleys.

G 97 likes this.
  7. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

There's always a couple patrolling around Barber during the Vintage Festival.

8. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

The ones from North Carolina are dicks!

Mot Okstef likes this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Came out of the quicky mart the other day and there was a murdered out Ram with what must have been a monster hemi motor or something like it. It just looked a bit off but, hey, looked cool so I eye balled it a bit.
    Dude comes along so I said "pretty cool but what the heck is it? "
    "Undercover cop truck, it'll out run most anything on the road."
    <Me as dryly as could deliver it> "Cool, but it can't beat my 9 year old milfwagon, it's wicked fast and shit."
    He about pissed himself laughing.

YamahaRick likes this.
  10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Damn! The dick hate in this thread is strong.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Almost all police departments are buying SUVs to replace their car fleet. And it's by design as well. The manufacturers have a lot more markup on SUVs, so it just makes more cent$ to sell SUVs to the gubermnet and well most sheeple.

12. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

We have them here, saw one up in the woods on the Interstate, shooting laser...he was not clearly visible for the required 500'..sneaky he was..I can foresee a crash in his future when he gets excited and hauls ass down the hill and onto the pavement.

13. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

They are all over Atlanta area. Some departments have more then others.

APD still has some old ass million mile KZs running around. There is a female GSP officer running speed on the south leg of 400 I see all the time. Looks pretty hot to boot.

14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

You don't see that type of enforcement much these days.

peterleduc and Britt like this.
  15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I was kinda shocked at where he was..my though was "What the Fuck, why would you be there, getting onto the fast lane to catch a speeder wouldn't be worth the risk"..
    But what do I know.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

is the 500' thing a state rule? I ask because on the NJ Turnpike they regularly hide on the on ramp so you can't see them, only in your rearview mirror as you've already passed them.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They can be visible from the other way on the road and get around it. They were on the Greenway today pretty heavy and one was up the ramp and there was no way you could see him from the east bound lanes he was radaring but the other way, hello, I can see you just fine.

BigBird likes this.
  18. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I saw one in Cincy the other day. Half helmet and short sleeve shirt but he was wearing the requisite old school motorcycle cop boots. I followed one down the PCH from San Fran to Pacifica one time (i was on a rented SV) and he might have been the worst rider i've ever seen. Do they teach them to ride exactly the opposite of what you would learn in a real skills course? He seemed to be trying to keep his body as upright as possible as he went through turns. Almost like he was fighting the lean angle or something. It was bizarre.

19. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

We still have them over here. The #1 plate in the VRRA here is actually a city of Montreal bike cop. I pity the fool that's going to try to out run him... He's on a newer gen air/liquid cooled BMW R1200RT and a hell of a rider.

Ducti89 likes this.
  20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

There's a bunch working Columbus PD, mainly speed traps but also nabbing people (like me) making illegal turns downtown. All HD's on the CPD, seen a couple Wings with Sherrifs on them- not sure if they are dept. issued bikes though.