1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | Gran Premio Motul de la Comunita Valenciana | Spain | 10 Nov - 12 Nov | 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by I'm with Stupid, Nov 6, 2017.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

That is one possibility. On the other hand it might have been cheating, but not cheating bad enough that the sanctioning body wanted to penalize their most popular rider for making what was by all accounts a spectacular move by passing another rider and in the process riding off the track surface and short cutting a corner.

Tell me, other than degree, what is the difference between Rossi's pass and a rider missing his braking marker and passing someone on the way into a chicane, only to blow the chicane and ride straight across? Both passed a rider but ended up going off the racing surface to short cut the following corner as a result. If one is cheating, so is the other. Nothing in the rule book states how many feet or inches off the racing surface you have to be to cut a corner. They just chose not to enforce it, that doesn't mean it wasn't cheating.

JustaNobody likes this.
  2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Go ahead and think Rossi's pass on Stoner was cheating. The race org and DORNA decided otherwise.

No offense. But do you race and if so, for how long. Your example about the chicane is so far removed from what Rossi did there's no viable comparison to be made.

3. 2blueYam

I think what we are disagreeing on is the definition of cheating. Just because the sanctioning body decides not to punish you, that doesn't mean you didn't break the rules.

Going to another sport for an analogy, you could travel all you wanted in the NBA. As long as you were not gaining an advantage over the defense, the officials didn't call it. It is still cheating and breaking the official rules of the game even if the officials don't decide to call you on it.

No, I don't race. So tell me what is different about what Rossi did vs. someone braking late and blowing a chicane other than the distance traveled off the racing surface?

JustaNobody likes this.
  4. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

He's ROSSI and the others are not. Just like in your "traveling" example, it's never called when a "star" does it.

JustaNobody likes this.
  5. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

And MM93 benefits from similar actions also. I think he even jokingly said he studied the 2008 scenario and added his own twist when cut the corkscrew...but was he really joking??:D

BigBird, Past Glory and JustaNobody like this.
  6. JustaNobody

JustaNobody Well-Known Member

If cutting corners isn't cheating I'm gonna stand at the line with my trans x and just walk back and forth .... 5 sec laptimes errrrrwhere fuck the rules :)

Plus if cutting corners isn't cheating why all the yellow shit around Imola

7. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

That's how you know who's a true "star" in any given sport.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Typing class, failed miserably. :D

Mot Okstef likes this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

No surprise there, dink fingers. :moon:

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Capture.JPG

Phl218 likes this.
  11. 2blueYam

The thing with the crash and recovery by Marquez is that he didn't need to take it into T1 that deep. He had Zarco well covered without braking that late. Poor judgement for sure, but what a show.

12. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

And you have personal experience and have won how many MotoGP championships? :Poke:

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  13. 2blueYam

You don't have to be a MotoGP winner to see he had around 3 bike lengths between himself and Zarco when he turned in for the corner. All he needed was one bike length.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I think he IS practicing this stuff on minis or supermotos. It happens so quickly and its just another muscle reflex for him.

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

You do realize the difference between brilliance and cartwheeling thru the gravel is about 1/10 of a second on a braking marker, don't you?

Mot Okstef and Phl218 like this.
  17. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Team orders or team spirit or whatever you want to call it sucks ass. You want the position? Earn it. How many people pulled over and let MM ride to the front during the season? MM earned every point he received.

JustaNobody likes this.
  18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for pics of MM's mom....

19. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Really, don't bother..

Dan Dubeau likes this.
  20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Not worth waiting for.