1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP COTA NOT Cancelled for 2021

Discussion in 'General' started by TX Joose, Aug 26, 2021.

1. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

So is Cota canceled? All these political and viral name calling has not yielded an answer as the thread title indicates.

2. Youpaiyou

Youpaiyou Well-Known Member

It hasn’t been canceled as of yet.

3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Here's the problem with a chart like this, and really any "statistic" that is skewed to fit a narrative..........it isn't paying anywhere near enough attention to extraneous factors.

Sweden has nowhere, in their entire country, where population density even comes CLOSE to that of the United States' most populated urban areas. Stockholm, by far the most populated area, has a density of ~4K/km2, and only 1.5M people live there.

America has 6 cities that exceed that density ranging from Miami (4.3K) up to New York (10.4K), with a total population between them of >11M

In regards to a virus that relies on close proximity to propagate, this is very important.

I'd certainly agree that Sweden's approach probably led to less stress amidst it's population, but to say they did "better" is a huge reach.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When it cannot be done without getting political - which is exactly the case here. I may be nice and only start banning from this point on. Or I may not be. The posts continually reposting bad info from the media as if it were remotely factual has already gotten annoying.

thunderalley3 and BigBird like this.
  5. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Here's the thing though, the restrictions are a RESULT of everyone's behavior. Back to @Sweatypants analogy, if you're the kid getting into shit regularly on the playground, you're gonna get your dick stepped on the hardest.

Hospitals filled up in NYC leaving patients on the streets, and the death toll went through the roof as people were being turned away and left untreated. What do you think they should've done at that point? Just continue to let people spread it at the same rate?

The Swedes never reached critical capacity for ICUs because their citizens took a measured approach, social distanced when asked, temporarily closed down schools and universities when asked, and didn't fight it like a 2 year old, hence they didn't need to resort to the shit we see here to get the same results.

6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I try to stay away from that stuff.

7. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Interesting thread on twitter from Simon Patterson.

Looks like what I mentioned on page one of this thread is a concern throughout the paddock.

"No one I’ve spoken to is worried about catching COVID in Austin. They’re worried about the city having no medical resources to treat injured riders."

Data as of yesterday shows 515 ICU beds total in the Austin area, 513 of those occupied and 262 of the 513 are related to COVID. Two ICU beds are available in the Austin area as of yesterday....

Couple that with the fact that the EU removed the United States from it's safe-travel list, it's not looking good. I know Dorna, the track and the local government want the race to move forward ($$$), but their hands might be forced here.

8. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I think that sometimes you consider political and stupid posts in the same category. While I am fine with both being banning offenses, I contend that they are not the same. Is quoting numbers from the media really political? Or merely nonsense?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seriously people?

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I guess you haven't seen the other thread. :crackup:

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Given what the numbers are used for and the beliefs most have about the number validity following political lines they're absolutely political. Or you could go with the fervent religious belief the worshippers at the altar of the pandemic have, still puts it firmly in the dungeon and it has no business on here.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I saw something when scanning through and tried to ignore it. Fucking idiots.

13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Good point, I hadn't considered it from a religious angle, but it certainly approaches that with both extremes.

14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Plenty of dumb from both sides of the coin.

Imagine if 'Dumb' was an exportable commodity?

That national debt would be expunged pretty quick....

15. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Stockholm Sweden population density (13,000 per sq mile) is slightly greater that of Miami (12,000 psm) ..Stockholm is actually greater in density than Los Angeles . NYC is an outlier, and skews the population density of the USA being way higher, at 67,000 people per sq mile. That's more than most cities around the world. SO, comparing Sweden is hardly out of line when comparing to most of the world population.

16. MELK-MAN

as in 1 post above, NYC is an outlier as far as density is concerned. Much greater than most cities around the world, comparing that as the USA "typical city" is a bit of a stretch. I hear what ya are saying, but using NYC is like putting all Swedes in the same basket, assuming they had a "More measured approach".. That's the same as saying all Americans are just selfish, and spread the virus from irresponsible behavior.. The fact is, Sweden had nowhere near the clampdown many US states had for closures, shutdowns, and mandates. not remotely close. yet had LESS covid infections per capita. Maybe NYC should shut down, i don't know, but you can't ignore Sweden in this discussion.

17. NemesisR6

Lol, you literally just reposted the same figures I did but converted it to sq. miles (about 2.56x the amount of people in a sq. km). As I said, Miami is at the LOW end of the spectrum for the 6 most densely populated areas in the US.

NYC is not an "outlier" in this case, as it directly effects the chart you posted. Just because it doesn't bode well for your particular argument doesn't make it irrelevant.
    Ignore? No.

Use as an end-all-be-all yardstick for comparing mitigating approaches to the pandemic? Also a resounding no.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    younglion likes this.
  18. MELK-MAN

when a city is at the top 1% of cities in population density around the world, and thus alters covid numbers due to it's high population density compared to the 99% of the rest of the world, it's a bit of an "outlier". It's TWICE the population of the 2nd largest US city, Los Angeles. But sure, lets just call it "like any other city" and ignore Sweden and a much more normal population density, and it's lower than US covid numbers, with NO shutdowns, mask mandates or school closures. Sure. Apples to apples... LOL!

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Mongo, this thread (and the other one) is a slap in your face. With spit on it. Watchu gonna do about it? :D

20. NemesisR6

Geez, man. I'm really not sure how I can hold your hand through this any better.

Your chart compared the United States (as a whole) to Sweden (as a whole) to compare per capita deaths over time. Your argument is that because their deaths /capita are lower (on average) then Sweden must have handled it better.

I'm telling you that Sweden did and does not face the same logistical challenges in mitigating transmission risk that the US does. This is fact.

The data YOU hold up as "proof" INCLUDES the thing YOU consider an outlier. If you removed those "outliers" as you call them, that chart would tell a very different story.

I swear, you're like the folks who look at a red/blue map of US counties and their 2020 election results and can't believe the popular vote ended how it did....

derblott, R1Racer99 and badmoon692008 like this.