1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP COTA NOT Cancelled for 2021

Discussion in 'General' started by TX Joose, Aug 26, 2021.

1. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I've been on the fence of going and still getting promotional emails, but a friend of mine told me they cancelled the event for this year. What sayeth the almighty been before trouble myself booking everything for me and the fam

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well, last I read and heard your friend is wrong.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

No matter how it turns out to be, I will sit this one out

4. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

5. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

We have everything booked, but made sure everything is refundable.

Side/similar note: Company I work for is moving forward with their retail booth setup, granted it will be scaled back a little bit as the crowd number won't be the same as years prior.

6. superdino

superdino Naturally aspirated twin-turbo

5 races in a row at Misano, make it so.

7. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Everything I've seen points to Dorna, the track and the local government wanting to move forward with the race. COVID aside, my concern is what happens if theres a bad wreck? Recent articles showed limited ICU availability in the area, so are the racers just shit out of luck if they crash and end up seriously injured?

I had a blast there in 2019 and was bummed having to miss 2020, but I think I'll sit this one out until next year.

8. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Nah, I bet they just contract w/ a private hospital for xxx number of beds, like how they'll contract w/ a private helicopter for transport. Money talks.

Rebel635, BigBird and Quicktoy like this.
  9. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

Sounds like F1 (bleaaahh[emoji2961]) is going ahead, maybe even two races, so likely DORNA will be able to pull it off too.
    Problem could be the lack of ICU beds locally, but as you say, they may well be able to make a deal to ave them provided for the three days of the race weekend. You might be screwed if you’re a visitor and need ICU though [emoji15]
    Last chance to see Rossi, and lack of live race last year, might tempt a lot of people to attend regardless. Their choice. No commentary from me.
    Cheers, all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

It's a fim requirement to have a set number of available icu beds, so for it to move forward they have to have them. I'm sure there's ways to work it out,but it's been a topic of conversation between the motogp media this last week

11. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Good to know thanks guys. Hopefully things change for the better over the next month or so. I'm going to make sure I do the refundable option on everything I book.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Rossi's last race in the US...you really want to miss it?

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

From what I have read that whole "lack of beds" thing is due more to the fact that they fired a bunch of nurses who would not get the shot and that hospitals are "at capacity" for staffing levels, not bed space. I have not been able to find anything to verify that but the way things are lately I would not doubt it.

That being said, the graphs that I am seeing look like the case levels have crested and are on the way back down. Hopefully that is the case and everything goes on without any issues.

Rebel635 likes this.
  14. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Links I found when Googling "Texas covid hospital capacity" all say the same thing - the actual beds are maxed out in most places and staffing is indeed short but there is no evidence of unused ICU beds due to staffing shortages, let alone shortages due to fired ICU unvaccinated nurses.

This past week has seen constant increases in Texas covid cases where them and Florida have lead the US in new cases but what's really worrisome for Texans is their death rate is insanely bad - 275 yesterday alone, no other state comes close - only Cali with 110 yesterday is in the ballpark.

Scary days in the US (the south especially) right now - Cali, Texas, Georgia, Florida, the Carolina's, Tennessee, etc... all recording massive numbers and suffering terribly from wave 4.

Zero chance I'd travel there right now, hopefully it gets under some sort of control soon and some stress is taken off the medical system.

15. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Whats the median death age? Think that border thing might be causing an issue?

You do you and let others do others.

Rebel635 likes this.
  16. Greg ZX6R

Greg ZX6R Well-Known Member

I'll take "It's a Trap" for $200, Alex.

969, badmoon692008, scottn and 12 others like this.
  17. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Beds are filling up because people refuse to get vaccinated. But that’s a good thing ! We have too many Stupid people in society as it is . Great way to weed them out ... :D

18. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Umm, might want to check those facts. Israel is fully vaccinated and their beds are filling up again.

19. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Fully?

62% fully, 67% with at least 1 dose - they are currently 38th globally in vax %. The US is currently 57th globally at 60% and 51% respectively.

Israel has roughly 9.3 million people so that's 3.8 million unvaccinated residents responsible for over 90% the weekly average of just under 4,000 cases daily.

Canada would have been a better arguing point for you where the rates are 73% and 66% or 22nd globally yet rates are back on the climb nationally as wave 4 hits.

Care to move on to your next point?

20. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

My car note is 65% paid so I guess that means my car is fully paid off now! I can't wait to tell the bank and see what their response is :rolleyes: