1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP at COTA Paddock Pass????

Discussion in 'General' started by Jesse Williams, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Jesse Williams

Jesse Williams Need more track time! Always!!

So, I currently planning a trip to COTA for the full MotoGP weekend. Ive been there before but I'm considering buying the $999 VIP and paddock package. I'll be riding there on bike only. I was wondering if anyone has done this? Was it worth it? Advise for what to do? Not do? Thanks
    Jesse

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I did the official MotoGP Village tickets for Indianapolis. It was around that price, and I think that is what you are talking about. If you can afford it, it is definitely worth it. We also rode there on a bike. bought an event plaque and got it autographed by tons of riders. I even bumped into Mongo in the pits!

We were in a suite just above Marco Simoncelli's pit box, got to take a couple of padock tours etc. It is nice to have a base with a/c, snacks, meals, clean bathrooms and comfortable seating, particularly when on a bike for the whole long weekend.

I save up and do this sort of thing every so often. This year, we went with a similar deal for the Rolex 24. Other times, we just go like regular, grubby peasants... :D

Jesse Williams, Phl218 and Sabre699 like this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

Did the VIP last time i went, but without bike. considering the open bar that's included, i'd leave my bike somewhere else and take an uber.

aside form that, it was one of the coolest sports events i've been to with VIP passes.

4. The_R1_Kid

The_R1_Kid Well-Known Member

I did the VIP private suite, club, thing that included paddock passes last year. The highest package you can get I believe. It had free food and drinks, but other than that I would pass. I wanted to see the bikes up close and really see the pits, but it was all closed off and inaccessible unless you knew someone or were uber VIP. Even the pit walk Sunday the bikes were roped off a good 20-30 yards away. The paddock package is nothing to look at other than closed back doors of the main pits and fenced off tents of moto2 and 3. I regret going to COTA MotoGP last year I really should have gone the last World superbike at Laguna instead I wanna see bikes up close.
    I'd set up on a good corner and spend the money on a really nice hotel and good dinners instead.

Jesse Williams and Senna like this.
  5. Jesse Williams

All love to the Grubby Pesants!!! Ive always been one and seeing that this is Rossi's last race on a full factory bike so maybe a win? Thanks for you feed back.

6. Jesse Williams

Oh, I my spot there for GA. Im also looking at the grandstand pass so I can move around to the three spots over the weekend and pick my favorite race spot. So there wasnt any close views of the bikes. Bummed. But what about access to riders? Is it a good way to get autographs and small talk?

7. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

No real access to riders unless you happen to catch them walking around early in the morning or later on in the day. They try not to be around all the people it seems like. But the Moto America pits it’s a totally different thing. That pit pass is worth it.

Even when I did the grid officials thing there for the MotoGP race the riders stay in the boxes away from everything. I did get to see the bikes up close which was cool. The one rider I did get to talk to was Binder back when he was on the Moto 3 bike.

Jesse Williams likes this.
  8. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

If you are there for the full race long weekend (not so much race day), you can get an autograph or a wave from most of the riders. They are constantly walking between the pit box and their team quarters (I'm describing Indy here). Sometimes they are not happy (coming back to get a new set of leathers), so give some leeway.

Other than Repsol Honda (who seems to excel in hiding their riders) and the rockstar show around Rossi (who's autograph I still managed to get). Everyone else was pretty approachable. Not to mention the Moto2 and Moto3 guys who are downright friendly. And there are usually a few legends wandering the pits too.

The other thing to remember is that many of the riders don't really feel comfortable having off the cuff conversations in English. They are better at the canned stuff they do for an interview. Then again, many of them speak English casually better then you hear when under the stress of being on TV! They all do better than I do with their languages! If you speak their native tongue (Spanish, Italian, etc.), you would probably have more conversations.

The best pit walk ever was at Laguna Seca in 2005. No ropes on the first go around, and the team mechanics had a bit of a rev off. Not to mention that Nicky won the race. Awesome! For that one, I just had a kind of "deluxe" ticket, not super high-dollar stuff.

9. Jesse Williams

Wow! Theres so much feeback I dont know where to begin! First, I am definately taking uber and a back pack due to availability of alcohol and the fact I will drink while there. I have learned enough Spanish and Italian to at least say how much I follow them and have enjoyed watching them race. If i get in front of Rossi I may not be able to make use of the Italian because I may be a tearful mess. (Especially after having a few said drinks).
    But because of the combined weekend with MotoAmerica and the good things you all have shared. As well as the bad news about proximity of bikes and riders has given me what to expect. I believe I will drop the $1000. I had an unfortunate event in my life that had the one benefit of leaving me with more money than expected. Ive had a very difficult last two years and havent been on or even at a track because of it. I can justify stepping up and getting the most out of the experience. Thank all of you who took the time to reply. I wish you well.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Make sure you go to the AF1 party. It is usually Friday or Saturday night

Jesse Williams and TurboBlew like this.
  11. Jesse Williams

Ok, whats the AF1 party? At the track? What goes on there?

12. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

AF1 Racing is the Aprilia Dealer in Austin. They usually throw a very nice hosted party. BBQ, Burgers, Dogs, sides, and cocktails. A couple of years ago they had Bautista come in for Autographs (2015) and then Colin Edwards (2017). Giveaways, discounted stuff, etc.

Quite a nice event, especially if you are an Aprilia fan.

Jesse Williams and TurboBlew like this.
  13. Jesse Williams

There are exactly zero manufacturers that make racebikes that i am not a fan of. Lol. And that sounds really cool.
    P.S. The day I passed my riders school in the CMRA was 1 week after Colin won his second WSBK Championship. He showed up to the, (now closed), converted go cart track in the backwoods outside of Tyler, Texas. I got his autograph in my riders handbook! One of the most cherrished moments of my life.

14. Jesse Williams

I believe that was 2002. Damn im old!

15. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I still haven't gotten out to COTA to see a race of any kind, so may be asking you questions when you get back! The 2005 Laguna race I was talking about earlier was a joint MotoGP/AMA race, and that was a definitely big enhancement to the weekend.

I had an Austin Ducati team shirt with me that I won at the Chris Carter show in Daytona earlier in the year. Went to his pits (now Parts Unlimited Ducati) and Bostrom was there being interviewed. He saw the shirt, stopped the interviewer and called us over to autograph it. He then took it in to the trailer to get Neil Hodgson to autograph it as well (Neil was melting in the July heat and wouldn't leave the A/C).

Oh yeah, he went out and won the race. That was pretty cool too!

One thing that wasn't mentioned that good access gives you is a look into the team operations. I was fascinated by this and spent a great deal of time watching the goings on. Guys cleaning parts behind the garages, team offices buzzing with activity, interviews being given. It is true that you only get to see inside the front of the garages occasionally, but there is plenty of other stuff going on for the racing geek. Also, try and hang around after the race. The garages were open then and you could watch the teams packing up as long as you stayed out of the way. Get to see just about everything close up then. Although those guys pack up *fast*. It was amazing!

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

its a schwag fest at their place of business... fully catered (small charge at the trucks) and free booze. Last year I was talking to someone when I saw another with a Draik shirt...lol. Found him later on after Mica took me on the backroom tour of his projects. There are also attractive wimmen milling about in said schwag, serving drinks, if thats your thing. All the cool dudes were leaving the event on the red limiter. One of the gals asked "why do they do that??"...

Jesse Williams and Phl218 like this.
  17. Phl218

Phl218 .

Ducati Austin also has a party going on Friday, with the MotoGP riders showing up.

and then there's 6th street.

18. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

+1 to that. I went the year that Colin Edwards showed up to their party.