1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2020 | Round 2 | Spain | Jerez | July 24-26

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Most factories at times have rotated engines in and out of service over the course of the year. They may have all "used" 4 engines already, but not "used them up." It's all part of the factories engine management plan. I'm more surprised at the other teams NOT doing it yet and only using 2 so far. This years 5 engine rule might mean a different strategy for everybody though.

I read an article about it a while back and it surprised me at how often they were shuffling engines around, seemed like a lot of extra work for the crews but it kinda made sense based on evenly distributing wear and mileage around. Think of it like a starting pitcher in MLB. You don't keep throwing the same guy until his arm falls off then throw in the next guy, they pitch in a rotation.

BigBird likes this.
  2. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Burning that first moth you posted was OK .. but Quit Burning the Luna’s you sick Fucker .. :D

G 97 likes this.
  3. G 97

G 97 Garth

You can’t make me stay. I’m not leaving. :crackup:

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yep, then you factor in practice, qualifying and racing and also conditions of wet etc. I can see them managing use very purposefully. When they first went with the new engine usage rules I honestly thought it would have a greater impact than it seemingly has or possibly they are all doing a good job of managing them. It doesn’t seem like it’s had that much of an impact looking in from the outside until Yamaha this year and their issues.

5. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Fixed it , Dovi won back in the early 2000's on a Honda 125 , He was the bridesmaid 5 times between the 250 cc class and moto gp class , finished 3rd in the same championships 1 time each

6. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

Yea I get that. After 2 rounds Yamaha has withdrawn 3 engines from allocation. Vinales after fp3 Rd 1, Rossi after race 1, Franco after race 2. All other factories combined are 0. None of us know the whole story but the pattern doesn't look good.

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Alas poor Yorick, I knew him, Horacio. :D

8. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

You could have ... (given them away!) :D

G 97 likes this.
  9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Yeah withdrawing 1 from each of your 4 riders after the 2nd weekend doesn't look good..... Hopefully it's a solvable problem and they don't have a bunch of sealed timebombs on their hands.

10. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Honestly would have thought that Ducati would be the bike that had problems with the heat. Pecco was the only one.

I can see the exhaust temp sensor causing the issue. The engines didn’t pop, they just quit. Something they said was designed for safety. Either for the riders or for the engines.

It doesn’t look good right now but that doesn’t mean that those engines aren’t still good. Unless they have opened one up, it’s out then , correct?

Pecco is the only one that’s actually down one engine because of a mechanical issue or did A.Esp have one pop also?

11. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I just had a dream last night where Pol Espargaro won the race and took the top step.

12. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I don’t think it’ll be at the next two race tracks which are HP tracks.

13. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

KTM has never been down on power though. Now that the bike is better, they should be able to use that power right?

I'm a Quartararo fan so I don't know why I had this dream. I also like watching the other young guys, Bagnaia and Binder. And I'm a fan of the old dog, Rossi.

14. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I’m a fan of them all. I just love the sport and the chemistry and the drama and the silly seasons lol. I’d love to see KTM get a win but as much as they’ve caught up, I still think they’re down on the Duc which is the bike that will win if Marquez isn’t racing in Austria. Brno I’m not sure about yet. Can’t wait to see practice times next week.

lopitt85 likes this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

Quicktoy likes this.
  16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Interesting. Europe at the end of Nov/early Dec will likely provide challenging weather. Maybe the KymiRing? :D

Quicktoy likes this.
  17. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Bit like when they used to race at Salzburg in May in the 70's/80's. There were times when it snowed.

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

Kind of expected the over seas to be cancelled. But good on them for being able to secure 15 rounds.

It would be sweet if they did a double race weekend or two. Practice/qualifying on Friday. Race1 Sat. Race2 Sun.

19. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

And I would have thought that Salzburg (elev ~400 m) would have great weather in May (outside the anomaly, anyway).

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I was in southern Europe early November last year and it was miserable everywhere!