1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica / Road America

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, May 8, 2020.

1. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If any of you are old enough to have attended AMA events at Brainerd, I have to argue that drunk and stupid there may have exceeded Elkhart’s best during the heyday.

“Dig a hole!!”

TurboBlew, G 97, Steady T and 2 others like this.
  2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Chargeback on credit card.

3. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

June dates will probably be cancelled or no fans to. I'm still pissed off and pessimistic this morning

4. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I still remember Sadowski drunk off his ass "diggin a hole" at T3... Ah the good old times.

G 97 likes this.
  5. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

I do it to reserve camping spots in the Carousel. We used to go Thursday-Sunday, but they changed it to Friday to Monday which isn't helpful. My family goes as an annual meet-up, usually around 15 of us (we were the photo for the camping pass last year).

6. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

Last year he was doing 1:41's during races on a 2009 ZX6R. Not a lap record, but definately not slow.

G 97 likes this.
  7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Trackside camping spots in the carousel sold out. Sure you could camp elsewhere, but if you want those primo spots, you have to sign up early.

8. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Who are you?

You know what you just reminded me of? There was this douche BMW adventure tour guy camping near us inside the carousel a couple years ago. My buddy's girlfriend was riding a mini bike around and accidentally clipped the side of his tent. Didn't even mess it up but the douche just kept complaining and talking shit for like an hour. So my buddy finally had enough of his shit and asked him. "How much did your fucking tent cost?" The douche said it was 180 bucks. So my buddy reached in his pocket and gave the guy 200 bucks. The douche just stood there flabbergasted. Then my buddy goes "Now get all your shit out of my tent." So the douche did and my buddy took the tent and stuffed it in the garbage can right in front of the guy. Never saw the douche for the rest of the weekend.

And for the record that's why the majority of us go to Road America for as fans. To be "DRUNK-A-HOLES" and watch some awesome motorcycle racing. I have friends from over the last 20 years that I only see once a year during superbike weekend. It's one of my favorite events of the summer. The second I pull out of the track on Sunday afternoon I look forward to the next year.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking as well regarding the June race. In California they told us they aren't relaxing it until August, with some slight relaxing between now and then.

However there have been some recent trackdays running out here. My dad told me in Iowa they opened up Eddyville dragstrip, but none of the Illinois dragstrips have opened.

10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Iowa Governor is expected to announce some level of reopening today. New rules would come into effect this Friday.

Our numbers are increasing, but hospitalization rate has stabilized a bit. Not sure what she’ll do.

11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Woah there. I am just a guy that enjoys motorcycle racing. I haven't raced but have done track days for 12 years and been part of the pit crew for a three motorcycle endurance racing teams, including a couple of WI guys you know that won the ASRA TC Lightweight class recently.
    I have enjoyed my time watching races at Road Am as well when I lived up there, but right now, I just don't see packing a bunch of drunk people into a camping area as a good idea in terms of trying to slow down the spread of this damn disease that has a good portion of our country shut down. An outbreak after something like that could get spectator motorsports shut down for another 6 months.

As to my comment I would like to apologize and have the chance to rephrase: "Assuming a bunch of cool drunk folks don't forget they are supposed to be social distancing, but this is Wisconsin we are talking about, so ..."

grasshopper likes this.
  12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

This wasn’t really on anyone in the US’s radar until late Feb. Lot of folks plan travel months in advance, me included. I think I bought my Mugello ‘19 tickets 6 months in advance.

G 97 likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because they were hoping sanity would prevail by this point same as the rest of us.

jksoft and tl1098 like this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Shady? Seriously? Why are you actively looking for something to get pissy about?

jksoft likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Or how about call the track first?

16. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

I'm not actively looking for something, just passively. I'm not sure how this is not a problem when it's said "we knew back on April 16th that we couldn't have fans there" but tickets are sold for that event up until yesterday? I want MotoAmerica to be healthy just as much as anyone else here but excusing the choice to sell tickets when an event is not going to happen is not ok. If it was Road America that made the call then so be it, no fault on MA but someone pulled a douche move. If they offer refunds then fine, no problem but right now it is credit for another event only. I can't go to the 2nd round in June so I guess my money is just a donation right now

What makes it more frustrating is that reason is prevailing right now, the state Supreme Court is looking to throw the whole order out sometime this week and the governor has said he has no desire to extend the order past 5/26...

DrA5 likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well right now I know we can't race at Summit Point - I have no clue what will happen between now and June so I'm not cancelling it. I didn't think we'd be able to race Roebling 4 weeks ago but we can. Uncertainty is part of the deal and my guess is with people being forced to stay home the track just never thought to turn off ticket sales - however there isn't anyone withing 1000 miles that could have any excuse for not knowing how up in the air things are right now.

18. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I think the old Road Atlanta days are worse, could be wrong though...

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've been slightly less than sober at both places - I think Road Atlanta had a bigger crazier crowd for a few years (and dead people hence the crackdowns since then) but Brainerd had the northern lights :D

G 97 likes this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

No problem. Glad I could help.

“I only went there once”
    Proceeds to make an over generalized broad based statement. :crackup: Um, OK.