1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica Heritage Cup

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by KMC, Dec 23, 2019.

1. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

And this may be the reason some will never do this.
    A buddy just told me that a vintage bike that I race can only race in 2 races. I told him I can race way more classes .
    Just wont be able to win in all them.
    He said the classes needed a complete overhaul. Lol
    He then said a 98 R6 should be let in V7MW because he can get it for 1000$.
    So I pointed out that he hasn't race in 5 yrs in any class and can purchase a newer bike and race with the fast regular classes.
    Problem solved. Lol
    Vintage for me is about being able to be competitive on a budget.
    Eboz has more money in 1 engine than I have in my F3.
    These bikes from 86 and older are a labor of love to me.
    I still have my 86 VFR 750 sitting in a closet.
    I know cost of putting it back together to race.
    I also know how fast I must ride it to be competitive at any racing event across country.
    Not sure I am willing to make that money commitment yet.
    And I truly believe cost keeps people from racing vintage and these older bikes.
    Do I have the answers?
    Nope but if more people do show up then maybe more will want to come out and make the commitment to race and enjoy hanging out with great bunch of people.
    This is a good start so far.
    Steven

ducnut likes this.
  2. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

With an American team for PI already established ther are more than enough bike for an Open class field. Rumor is there are PI spec bikes being built for a possible Canadian team. It may open the chance for a American round of International Challenge.

VFR#52 and cyclocrossfool like this.
  3. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

I agree. but that is just 1 Hugh event per yr.
    so spread the cost throughout the yr and it becomes an event to go check out.
    But the problem is a racing series with races all yr and travel and cost become counter productive for these old bikes.
    I don't deal with older bikes but those who do is who we need suggestions from.
    Keeping them running without breaking the bank is high on list.
    Maybe a Big event like PI here in Us once a yr can be looked at?

Steven

4. TZRusty

We usually do 1 or 2 AHRMA events per year to prepare for PI if budget permits. I've been to PI twice and it was well worth the trip. A three race series is doable and I'm retired on a fixed income.

VFR#52 likes this.
  5. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

TZ Rusty, looking forward to seeing you on the WERA V6HW and AHRMA Next Gen 1 grids. Steven, come out of the closet. Oops I meant bring that legendary VFR out of the closet and come and play. Merry Christmas Everybody

VFR#52 likes this.
  6. michael_chicago

michael_chicago Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, I don't equate "affordable" and "competitive" with vintage racing. I feel like people discuss vintage classes with the hope (or expectation) that folks with these old bikes sitting idle in the garage will bring them out if a class is created. But we all know that the real expenses are tires, fuel, travel, accomodation and track fees. And, parts (often period parts) are sometimes difficult to find for these machines. Racing is expensive. Period.

When I think affordable, I think low HP singles or twins. They're easy on tires and engine service involves fewer parts. Some of the really old vintage bikes go a whole season on a set of Avon tires.

As for competition, all the vintage races in which I've participated (not really that many), have come down to who shows up. I love having someone to dice with, but in my mind I'm competing against myself for improved lap times. I have a modern 600 to see how I fare in the scheme of things. I'm middle-aged and slow, but I really enjoy working on/developing my bike and hanging around like-minded enthusiasts at the track.

To me, affordable competitive racing would be something like RD350 or Skorpion Cup. I don't see how vintage superbike can be "affordable."

Now, I'm talking about club racing. PI looks to be a whole different thing: money, talent and participation.

I spoke to a fellow at Homestead last weekend racing a KTM 390 Cup bike with FMRRA. He says the bike is uncompetitive within AHRMA's class structure, but there are enough KTMs that the racers are unofficially scoring their own series.

JBall and guzziguy like this.
  7. TZRusty

I'm in a unique position. I accumulated my bikes and spares over a period of 40+ years. Went from new / current to worthless then valuable classic. It would be almost impossible today to buy what I have. Many enthusiast are making replica parts for TZ750's to build new bikes and keep the old ones running. The replica parts are actually better quality than the originals. The PI bikes can be expensive basically due to building the engines. The rollers are mostly aftermarket frames ie. Harris , CMR with Suzuki GSXR or R6 rolling stock. A new rollering chassis can be assembled for less than 10k, frame swingarm & tank $4,500. R6 forks, wheels, brakes, radiator, Ohlin shock, bodywork, misc. CMR can supply a XR69 replica frame to accept FJ1100, Suzuki GS1000, Honda CB1000F, or Kawaski 1000 pre 1986 variant engines.
    Instant classic TT/ F1 bike.

VFR#52 likes this.
  8. Outsider V6 V7

I've thought about this question for years and have designed the ultimate economical and historic vintage class. I call it the Katana 600 cup. Here's the rules. You can change the shock, pipe, add springs and emulators, must run air box. That's all that can be done. Eligible bikes are 1988-1998 I believe that's the year the body style was changed. These bikes are 800-1200 on ebay all day and replacement engines 1988-2005 run between 200-400 bucks. Now someone will jump in and say yes but you can buy a good F2 for that amount of money. True and you can also spend an additional 6-8 grand on sourcing the old HRC parts, exotic wheels, and the mythical HRC black box. I challenge anyone to find any exotic race katana 600 parts. Are they fast? No. Are they stylish? No. Do they handle great? No. Are they fun to race. yep. As a true historic class and a completely unrepresented era this is obviously the best choice for a Vintage spec class. Everyone also knows how these can be made illegal and it's easy to verify. Tires will last a minimum of 4 weekends. I did a 600 version in a 1986 gsxr frame and ran it in V6LW used the same slicks all year.

Ryan nickles, RRP, pscook and 2 others like this.
  9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

E - no BS - was just searching for a wrecked Katana 600 to steal the motor out of to put in this 91 roller. :D

EDIT - $200 for a motor , $85 for a BMW shock and we're off!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  10. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

although the Period 4 cutoff year is 1990 uscra lets you race the katana up to 96. never raced one but they always seemed “good value”

11. Outsider V6 V7

Is this in the Canadian series?

12. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Mid pack capable V6 and newer bikes can be built without breaking the bank.

If your going to build a period correct V4 or 5 that can run with the best you'll spend a lot. Especially if you are unable to do basic fabrication yourself or basic engine work.

13. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

uscra is in new England. the VRRA in Canada cutoff is 96 too. VRRA may be adding a "period 5" soon. for 2020 they have added. nice for a bump class from P3. head north young man.[​IMG]

14. Outsider V6 V7

15. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Awesome! That's should be a stand alone class.
    What a great ideal.
    Let me clue people in on 600s AKA V7MW
    There is not 1 HRC part on my turd.
    Besides the 1 MM pistons that where given to me it would be a stock piston and bore.
    Cams are aftermarket and bought in a package deal aka CHEAP! LOL
    I will be using stock ones next yr.
    I build all my own motors and I use 1 set of tires all yr.
    Now these bikes are already for sale and even old race bikes are Cheap.
    Ive sold more racers vintage bikes to Texas riders and other places because these bikes have no resale value in WERA.
    There are real ex factory bikes for sale all over, just have to look.
    I actually bought an Ex factory 97 ZX6R for 500$ with lots of spares.
    Id be happy to help anyone with engine combos that are cheap for F3s and competitive.
    Right Now 600 Srads are cheap also and I know there are old race bikes sitting in garages.
    Every time I try and get people to come race the 1st thing is they wish is this certain bike was legal.
    Its usually a new design and would smoke what's already in class aka 98 R6
    Then next excuse is oh I can only race 2 races. Bahhhhahhahah
    If I choose I can race more classes but I chose not too because im on a budget.
    Simple facts are if you race vintage its fun and with a great group of guys.
    Some complain about wanting more people to race while wanting a newer style of bike to be legal.
    I say just find a bike that's already legal and lets grid up.
    I know what bike is a dominate bike for class and its legal.
    It sits in corner waiting for when its needed.

Steven

16. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

In my short experience in vintage racing (2 years) rider ability matters more than the bike unless you're talking about the top two or three riders in a given class. It is entirely possible to take a basically stock sports bike that fits in any V6 group and have a blast. Depending on the bike, you may not even have to change wheel size. There are good 18 inch tires available.

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

ducnut and cyclocrossfool like this.
  18. Outsider V6 V7

Looking forward to some close, competitive racing with WERA this year. Lot's of new Yahoo's joining this class.

Pro Speed Racin likes this.
  19. Outsider V6 V7

TZRusty, I picked up an 88FZR 750 a few months ago and I'm doing a street resto on it. The previous owner had purchased a front upper and a race tail. If this is something that would fit an FZ I can make you a deal. Currently unpainted and not drilled. Fresh out of the mold. LOL Clarifying this is airtech race bodywork I'm refering to not OEM stuff.

20. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

TRAITOR! A Yamaha - really?!

:D