1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

@ductibomber, where did you pull that from? That is not in the below document.

http://www.motoamericaregistration.com/PDF/Bulletins/2018 Part 2.8 MotoAmerica Twins Provisional.pdf

2. grasshopper

Agreed completely I'm just trying to understand what MA is thinking when they set maximum qualifying times? What else could they be thinking with 110 or 115% of the fastest time besides getting more folks to sign up? I totally agree it should be 107% all day long.

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

4. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

No I did :39's on the 848. I am being honest about my current abilities. Not like those guys we all know who like to quote lap times from the good 'ol days that keep getting shorter every time they think about them.

:58's at Daytona on the 848. 2:00 on the Big Bore LW.
    :32's at Homestead on the 749, :33 on the Big Bore LW.

Etc, Etc. but this thread is not about Gino's ability to be a pro racer. I'm already admitting I'm not.

grasshopper and Robby-Bobby like this.
  5. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

you could at least lie to me for my ego...

Gino230 and metricdevilmoto like this.
  6. grasshopper

7. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I wasn't trying to give you shit. And my bad on the times getting them wrong.

And it has nothing to do with you, but looking at healthy ktm grids, I think plenty will be in the twins class and provide great racing and lots of entries.

slimjim00 and Gino230 like this.
  8. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

MotoAmerica Superbike ( meaning 1000 cc here) is the highest tier of racing in the U.S. (IMO) and it is hard to qualify for....nothing new there. If you want a 107% cutoff in SBK then I would agree with that.

But where does the MA SBK grid come from if you don't have some type(s) of feeder class - should we expect racers to spend a decade doing trackdays or club racing before trying it one time?

It's like saying a baseball player should stay at Triple A ball until he is guaranteed he can step into the majors and hit .300 and 30 homers as a rookie, I disagree. Some of the guys in the Twins class that are on the brink of the cutoff at the beginning of the season could be running top ten by the end of the year. The competition will improve them. The lappers may confuse the casual fan at first - but that never seemed to hurt Supercross.

terminus est, Gino230 and JBall like this.
  9. metricdevilmoto

If baseball players were paying to play ball, then yes.

And no one just decides to play professional baseball and shows up to the stadium and gets put on a team. You have to be drafted, signed, etc. A lot of players only get as far as the farm teams and never play a single inning in the big show. Because only the best make it to the pros.

10. grasshopper

If you want to compare most professional sports and MotoAmerica it's like comparing apples to oranges. Let's be honest... If you have the money you can sign up and race MA no matter what. That is not the case in any other professional sport. Even if I had 10 million dollars I couldn't sign up and face off in a professional NHL game.

DucatiBomber and metricdevilmoto like this.
  11. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

What I say about been over 55, so much for my wild card ride :)

G 97 and V5 Racer like this.
  12. grasshopper

And there are plenty of very capable professional sports players especially in Hockey and Baseball that have the talent and ability but will never be called up.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  13. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

c. Maximum Age: 55 (Over 50 requires medical and stress test EKG) (Over 55 possible with Permanent Bureau approval)

EKG and prostate exam for over 55.....

Gino230 likes this.
  14. grasshopper

No colonoscopy?

15. metricdevilmoto

And it's no surprise that pro teams draw in fans more than farm teams. Because fans will pay a premium to watch the best.

If fans were drawn in to watching club level talent race, then club races would have more fans.

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

They wouldn't want you embarrassing the kiddies. :D

17. grasshopper

I'd pay premium to watch that.

18. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I have no plans to enter an MA race considering I'm paralyzed, etc. I was just doing math for the hell of it and comparing to times I ran on a vintage bike at Barber. IMO, 110% is way too high. 107% is plenty. If you can't hit that, go home or stay at the club level.

Now, I would like to get a group of paralyzed sportbike riders together and do a demo "race" during lunch break at an MA event. I think it would draw the press in for a feel good story to publish, help the SCI community to see that life doesn't stop after an SCI, give good publicity to MA and I think Wayne Rainey would be supportive. I already know of 4 other guys who would show. I can probably get a few more if it is planned far enough in advance.

19. metricdevilmoto

I think the 300 class is an exception.

In regards to the other classes, if you raced a 1000 at the club level and were planning on racing a 600 at the pro level, wouldn't you think it would be a good idea to get some race laps on the motorcycle before you entered a MA race?

20. If that is what it takes for someone to meet the 107%, then yes.

The way I see it, nobody should be entering a Pro race if they can't consistently Podium (at least) at the club level.

There have been many guys doing AMA/MA races who have never even once seen a WERA Podium in an A/B/C Expert race. That is ridiculous IMO.

JustaNobody and metricdevilmoto like this.