1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica 2022 silly season

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Sep 20, 2021.

1. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Moto3 isn’t a spec class like Moto2. The diff bikes have diff strengths and they shine occasionally. The riders still shine even w such a powerful draft, which is obvious from the standings.

What you really want is enough parity such that the differences in each bike/rider can actually produce different results. Without enough parity, one set of equipment pulls away such that they win even on their worst days. See F1. With too much parity… well I’m not sure a non-spec example exists. GP has a shit ton of parity right now and the field has never been closer. It’ll be interesting to see if there is ever a downside to that formula.

sbk1198 and 418 like this.
  2. 418

418 Expert #59

I'm not saying rules alone are responsible for this as I think things have gotten so competitive that everybody follows the winning combination but I look forward to some variety the new MA rules will bring.

I guess what I'm trying to say is more of the same is not necessarily better. NASCAR has parity blueprint figures out and I find the racing boring as shit.

Gorilla George and stangmx13 like this.
  3. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

to me it seems the various series push the term "parity" as a way to save face, when the real reason is they have a bunch of riders, makers, and teams all in their ear about how everything is unfair.

418 likes this.
  4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Or a manufacturer willing to write checks

Gorilla George, 418 and henry_carlson like this.
  5. stangmx13

Just imagine how much MORE boring NASCAR would be without the parity, lol

I think all production bikes are different enough that parity will never ruin that racing. This is especially true now that classes are having to branch out with engine layouts.

I’m actually more worried about the regs missing the mark and one platform offering too-large of an advantage. But that’s why it can be modified mid-season.

6. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Nascar isnt racing. Its a parade with a participation trophy mindset points system.

My attention span for watching other people race is about ten minuutes.

ts199 likes this.
  7. henry_carlson

8. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I really like Brandon and the dude has big talent but he does post some pretty dumb shit on social media.

9. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I think Alex Barros was still racing superbikes at your age, and doing pretty well, ask Danilo next time you see him, they raced together.

418 likes this.
  10. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Good to know I won't be the only old timer (oh and I am older:confused:) on the grid... except I'll be a bit further back :confused::p

11. 418

418 Expert #59

Troy Bayliss did four WSBK races in 2015. He was 46 then. Finishing in the points in three out of four. And that was after taking considerable time off.

I think sponsors and people in the industry are a little bit too hung up on the whole age thing. I'm 41, at this point I would much sooner cheer for an older guy then some young whipper snapper that doesn't know any better.

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

How old is Steve Rapp? Pretty sure he could come back anytime and do well.

13. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Wikipedia says he's 50 years old. Last I knew he had a decent living being a commercial airline pilot.

motion and RRP like this.
  14. stangmx13

IMO...

Moto road racing doesnt need any help convincing the 45yr-old+ fans that ride to watch, attend, or buy merch. Getting those new <25yr-old people to show interest in the sport seems to be much harder. And without convincing tons of them to be obsessive or loyal fans, the sport will slowly die with the aging fanbase. Supporting, training, and promoting young talent is definitely a part of attracting new fans. Younger fans wouldn't have their "Josh Hayes" if there are fewer younger racers. Unfortunately the sport doesn't seem to have enough resources to support both racers, yet.

15. henry_carlson

16. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

How tf are they going to fill 24/7 content? Good lord I hope they didn't jump the shark.

17. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Airing content from the last seven years. I'm more interested on how much live coverage they will have for 2022?

Possible we can start seeing replays of the minicup! :dead:

18. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

So its a re-run station? I mean surely they are not going to air free the stuff we pay the subscription for?

FastByKids likes this.
  19. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Right! Is live+ still going to exist or is that going away?

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I expect they will be shown live, except the "free" one will have commercials and the paid subscription will not, so you will basically be paying to remove the ads. At least I hope that option still exists.