1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moto2 & 600 supersport

Discussion in 'General' started by dsjr, Oct 9, 2011.

1. dsjr

dsjr Well-Known Member

Moto2 and 600 supersport ,how do their lap times compare on the same tracks.
    Technically I would think the moto 2 bikes are superior to the Supersport machinery.In their debut year If I'm not mistaken the supersport bikes were quicker on the same tracks as the Moto2 bikes,how do they compare now ?

2. Chip

Chip Registered

Spec tires make the comparison meaningless...

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Don't forget the lesser HP spec motors in the moto2 bikes.

4. dsjr

dsjr Well-Known Member

whats the Hp different between the 2?

5. Rx3

Rx3 1%

I would have to remember where I read it, but I think the Moto 2 engines were around 125 HP, and the WSS engines are about 20-30 HP more.

6. dsjr

dsjr Well-Known Member

I understand their are spec tires and other differences unique to both classes that's why I'm curious to see how those differences effect the lap times.

7. The lap times are almost the same, within a second or so.

The WSS bike have more power but they are on essentially stock chassis, stock bodywork and use DOT's. The Moto2 bikes have less power, but they have purpose built chassis, bodywork and use 6" wheels with Slicks.

8. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

moto 2

Are they letting other engine manufactures in MOTO 2 for 2012.

9. Rx3

Rx3 1%

Remains to be seen. I thought that was the plan, like they seem to be doing in Moto 3, but so far it's all Honda.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Of course it's "all honda". They're the spec motor for the class.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nothing is changing. It was a three-year contract.

12. speedybee43

speedybee43 Well-Known Member

They raced together in either the Italian or Spanish championship and the 600SS bikes were usually out front

13. Rx3

Rx3 1%

Has Dorna hinted at what would happen after the contract? It would be interesting if other manufacturers could build engines to whatever the spec is.

14. Chip

Chip Registered

Yes....look at the Moto3 rules for a hint...