1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MOTO GP - COTA 2020

Discussion in 'General' started by Circacee, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Anyone else heading to the big dance? It will be my first year attending, looking for some insight on what to do/wear to sit(I purchased GA tickets).

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I really wanted to go this year, but I just don't think I'll be able to swing it with the kids' schedules, spring break plans, track trips, and the like.

I've only been there for F1, but it is a good track for GA spectators. Just be prepared for a lot of walking each day.

4. Circacee

I'm not short on cash however I didn't see the point of sitting in one seat for the duration of the weekend, figured GA would allow me to roam, hit vendors up etc.

Any insight on hotels? Is it insane to try and Lyft/Uber everywhere?

5. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

GA tickets are fine, the grandstand seats are nice for a break off your legs. Wear some comfortable shoes, alot of walking to get around that place and it's worth the walk.
    $20 or so will get you up on top of the tower which will give you some cool views of COTA.

The photo looking up at turn one is from a track day I did out there in 2016. The pic gives you an idea of that run up to turn 1. 0410151106_1024x614.jpg 0410151106b_1024x614.jpg MC 00_1280x854.jpg

6. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Looking down from turn 1. 0410151417_1280x768.jpg

7. Circacee

dude, that thing is massive!'

Thanks for the pics. Glad to know the GA`s will be fine.

R1M370 likes this.
  8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

What to do? You mean other than going to the track to watch what's going on? I went Fri/Sat/Sun to the track, I didn't really go out anywhere other than that, but there's plenty to do in downtown Austin if you are looking for nightlife. I was just there over NYE and lots to see and do.

I wore shorts and t-shirt each day, Sat AM the skies opened up and it seriously poured, I didn't even bother heading to the track until around noon when it finally let up and the sun came out...so yeah, anything could happen. Do carry an umbrella as well as some sunscreen.

You don't have to purchase specific seats but as I've mentioned elsewhere I found the T15 grandstands to be the best spot to sit to see the most of the track. As far up and as far to the right (walk-over bridge) as possible is what I suggest. Pit-passes are fun too as you can walk around down there and get to see things nice and close (thanks again @Newyork )

Oh and I stayed here, I booked rather last minute and surprisingly the rates were quite cheap and it was a quick drive to and from the track. I think a saw a few of Aussie Dave's crew guys coming in and out.
    https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/ausaiht-home2-suites-austin-airport/

I rented a small car rather than Uber'ing it everywhere. For me it was definitely worth it.

9. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Yeah, GAs are perfectly good at COTA. Wife and I went to Brno in 2018 and the GA (Silver Tickets) weren't as good as the GA tickets at COTA, mostly because you can walk all around the track and the infield at COTA much more easily, also because my foot was janked up for Brno.

Last year we took the kids with us to COTA and we just sort of wandered around for most of Saturday scouting out good-looking spots for Sunday. We ended up watching the Moto3 race from the bridge at Turn 3 so we could watch the bikes go through the Esses. We watched Moto2 from Turn 15, and then watched MotoGP from Turn 1. We all had a great time. A couple of weeks ago we asked the kids if they wanted to go to COTA again this year and they both enthusiastically said "YES!"

10. Circacee

awesome, I might do that as well and grab a parking pass. I believe it's 43 bucks for the weekend.

As far as pit passes go,where do you purchase? I can't locate them on MotoGP`s site.

11. Circacee

Nice man! Hope to see you there.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I bought everything (and I believe the paddock passes as well) from the COTA site, not the MotoGP site.

13. Circacee

Crap, I went via Moto GP. Going to give COTA a call.

14. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

You’re welcome sir, it was my pleasure.
    We had a great time...Turn 15 was quality seating I’d say and the paddock passes are worth it if you have the coin and probably won’t be going again anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Zach Flynt is the guy I used from COTA his number is 512-655-6258.

You can tell him Stephen Brower from NY gave you his contact info. I also told him I’d be placing his info on this forum so anyone is welcome to give him a call I’m sure he’d welcome the $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I’m going - maybe that slow sack of a backmarker @Dwire is going to join.

Circacee likes this.
  17. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I just bought my tickets. I went for top row T15 grandstand. Looks like it should have a view of turns 12-20. I haven't been to a Moto GP event since Laguna 2005, so this should be fun.

Newyork, Boman Forklift and Phl218 like this.
  18. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Taking my dad down there - only attending Sunday race, though. I purchased tickets by calling in to COTA. Guy I spoke to was nice and seemed knowledgeable about the best seating options.

If anyone knows of some good casual restaurants in Austin, I’d love to hear some recommendations.

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

theres a bunch of them downtown... last year we parked off 5th street & to 6th. East 6th will be more laid back

Senna likes this.
  20. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Uchiko if you like sushi
    It’s not casual or cheap but my fav spot in town

Senna likes this.