1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moto-D laptimer

Discussion in 'Tech' started by cav115, Feb 23, 2018.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have experience with the motoD timer?

Can you tell me me your experience with it?

Thanks!

2. Roostah

Roostah Well-Known Member

I have it, and haven’t had a problem with it. My only other experience was with a cheap beacon one, so this was a massive step up.

Basically, you turn it on before you leave the pits, and when it senses you are moving, it starts timing, and you manually stop it when you get back to the pits.

FWIW, comparing my lap times from the moto d to my transponder on race weekends, the moto d was never more the 0.005 off, and usually closer.

I’ve only spent a little bit of time working with the analysis software, but from what I can tell it’s really powerful. You can overlay different laps and see where you were faster or slower (or strap the thing to a faster guy for a session and then compare his data to yours). Has speed and lean angle built it, with the possibility of expanding it further. I need to spend more time with the post professing, but I’ve been happy so far.

Hope that helps

cav115 likes this.
  3. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Thank you.

4. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

FWIW I think the Aim Solo was only a few bucks more and they just came out with a new version.

cav115 likes this.
  5. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Thanks.

I saw that; I`m not sure you can overlay laps for comparison, and the software is unnecessarily complicated. We had the solo`s and did not like them.

MotoD service and support is excellent!

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Of course the AIM software can overlay any data from separate laps. That software is def more professional level with maximum capabilities. If you are looking for more consumer level and ease of use, it might not be for u.

cav115 likes this.
  7. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Moto D does those same things; just more intuitive IMO. Plus the service and support is awesome.

8. mike-guy

Yea I havent really used the functions of my Solo. I own a mac and it isn't compatible. I would be really interested to get it going though.

cav115 likes this.
  9. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

FWIW I really like my speed angle lap timer....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cav115 likes this.
  10. cartmen34

cartmen34 Well-Known Member

Dual boot or buy VM software. It's not hard to setup and use. I do the dual boot thing when I need to look at data or flash a bike.

11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the AIM software works on VirtualBox running Windows7. getting the USB driver to work is finicky, but it'll work.

but ya, dual boot is better.

does it do math channels? every time ive seen consumer lap timer software, they are missing math channels - which is really important for good/easy analysis.

12. mike-guy

Yea I'm going to eventually setup Bootcamp. Not I got the Aim Solo, Solidworks (school program), Bazzaz, and a few other programs that can only run on windows.

13. tigerblade

tigerblade Mostly Titanium

I got the Moto-D "Start" timer last year second hand and have been happy with it. Haven't done much other than get simple laptimes.

14. solson1041

solson1041 Well-Known Member

I used my phone to pull files off the MotoD timer's card, and it hasn't worked since. It's finicky, and the guy from MOTO D didn't actually know anything about it. The actual device is made by an Italian company, and it's mediocre.

Personally, with as much of a headache as it's been, I'd spend $30 on Harry's Laptimer, and stick it in your suit, or buy the actually good stuff, and get the AIM Solo.

The Moto D is a bad high end item, and an expensive consumer item. Go cheap consumer, or good high end.