1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moto America | Dynapac Superbikes | The Ridge Motorsports PRK | JUN 24-26

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Jun 24, 2022.

1. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

Why would you skip the 300/400 for a gp chassis but then go to an SV?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Waste of time on an underperforming engine/chassis. The only reason to run one is for fun if you're older or want to go pro racing in the Junior Cup - at which point club racing a GP chassis would be better training - as those running up front kind of prove.

Scott S. and assjuice cyrus like this.
  3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the jump to sv be the same?

What do you in a case where kids looking for better competition but are 14? Jump right to twins?

Iam interested in your and the boss's input. You seen it happen down many roads and value your guys opinion

4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Having raced An SV or a Kawi 650 for 15 years and now switching to an Aprilia RS660, I can say unequivocally that I would put a kid on the Aprilia in Twins and then step to the 600’s. The Aprilia has a better chassis and the engine makes power up high so it rewards corner speed and hitting your marks. My two cents…

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Thats exactly what we did!!!

6. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

SPOT ON
    Incremental steps in weight and power are key. Resist the temptation to go the big show until dominate in the club scene.
    It really is another level of fast there.
    But do whatever, to quote a good friend, "your results may vary".

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  7. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

We were actually thinking of building a R7 for next years WERA endurance rounds. Other than the small gas tank, the chassis should prove to be a SV irritant. The specs on the Ape RS 660 looks very appealing but Italian part cost and reliability is of concern. Possible a mental block but 72hp vs 100hp from 45hp seems like a big jump.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Gave up on the Kawi's :( but nice new ride!

9. voss555

I can't follow the logic of a youth not racing bikes that are

A) currently in production
    B) have huge aftermarket support
    C) the bikes currently used in the "entry level" pro road racing class

Certainly the chassis on a JC bike is garbage compared to Moriwaki or NSF. But an SV is garbage compared to literally anything else lol- especially a Kramer.

stk0308 likes this.
  10. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

I'm thinking no-one is saying the quiet part very loudly.

Been hearing that the 400 instills bad habits that can be a pain to coach out / hinder development into the proceeding MA classes.

Just my thoughts and interpretations.

We should have a separate thread to discuss.

11. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

You own 12 SV's talk all the time how there the best bike ever to be made. Don't lie to these people...:crackup::crackup:

voss555 likes this.
  12. voss555

Yeah I don't know about all that either. I know JH mentioned it, but Ty had no problem jumping from Junior Cup to SS. Motox is completely different than flat track than RR but the best riders can switch seamlessly.

13. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

i remember Jody Barry ripping on Ninja 250's with his dad and Ray Hoffman the first time i met him at a club race. not doing too bad right now!

rafa and voss555 like this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honestly most of it totally depends on the kid and the goals. The ones who are willing to put in the work and get the laps will learn from anything they ride.

I think the Moriwaki to an SV is a better jump as you've got good power to weight and handling in both bikes - but there are absolutely kids who do fine using the 400's in between so there is no hard and fast rule for it.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, the newer twins are good, I'm just saying SV as a catchall for any of them.

Monsterdood likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There are tons of the SV's out there with a lot of aftermarket support. But again, I mean any LW Twin. A Kramer can't run as many classes so it limits the amount of track time on a given weekend.

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

Thank goodness the MA Twins class evolved and moved away from being a default clapped out SV spec class for club racers.

18. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Isn’t the Kramer 690 legal for both D classes as well as Clubman, LWT, and F2? Should be competitive in all those with the right pilot.

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The money being spent in twins class is insane. I do not see it being sustainable. IMO, the class has peaked and participation will drop off next year unless MA finds some cash to boost the purse and or implement a championship bonus.

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

Man, it would be a shame if this class didn’t continue at this level.
    Hopefully the manufacturers can step up and contribute as it really has become a very good class with some very good racing with some good talent.

evakat likes this.